Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

12 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

6 goals conceded in two games time to try some different players so here's my team .

COVALAN 

Cass Amos Jones 

Worrall Walker Pett Garrity Gibbons 

Wilson Proctor 

IF Martin and Legge not ready try Amos back there all the goals conceded from crosses are where the middle defender is supposed be majority of the time he ain't there how did Worrall end up back there for the third yesterday ,who's supposed be leading at the  back .

Make changes let's not settle for mediocrity. 

Hard decisions need to be made .

UTV 

I'm not sure putting a 5'11 left back at centre half will stop goals being conceded from crosses 😕

13 hours ago, PV1973 said:

So basically you just dropped the 2 stoke fans in the team? 😀

Conlon at left wing back in place of one of our best performers in Gibbo? A left back playing as the central (supposedly dominating) centre half?

I read it as Amoo and didnt batter an eyelid. I am becoming immune to his team selections  😆

Scunthorpe are the only side vale have played in the league this season that were in the bottom half of the table when we played them. This means we are playing sides when there in good form and barrow are another one in decent form. 
We were garbage at home to barrow last season so won't have to do much to perform better than last season's match at vale park. We must be due a penalty as we haven't had one as of yet this season. In fact I can't remember the last time we have been given a penalty. Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back and nick a 1 nil win.
Last seasons game means nothing. We've got a completely different and, most importantly, much better team than last year

Barrow are another one of those horrible teams like Harrogate,Stevenage and Sutton so i think this could go either way,that first goal will be crucial again because i have to be honest i cant see these causing us the same trouble Sutton did if they go a goal down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

According to their fans they are not the same as last season and are not a particularly big side anymore. I can't see them launching balls from all angles like Sutton.

With Mark Cooper in charge I expect them to be more of a footballing team and to try and pass out from the back and this will suit us.  We seem to be better against these sides rather than the more direct sides, however looking at possession stats from this season, both us and Barrow in the bottom 7 for average possession.

I'm not sure putting a 5'11 left back at centre half will stop goals being conceded from crosses [emoji53]
No idea never seen him play .
Maybe he can tell the defensive line get up the pitch then crosses shouldn't be a problem as the opposition will either be offside or Covalan will just have catching practice hopefully .
It's the whole teams job to firstly block the crosses or if it comes in deal with it if you watch Legge he never moves from his position he heads everything especially when we were under the cosh gets good distance on his headers also .
Let's not give opposition any more hope we need combine our excellent forward play with the desire keep the ball out of our net 6 conceded last 2 games I'd expect changes as all 6 were avoidable .
He as a 24 man squad use them .
If players do not get the nod after conceding 4 goals then when do they get a chance stake a claim .
Would you go unchanged by the way ?or do you think mainly the team are doing well and over achieving when after the L /O game I thought we may win the league and why not then we go to Sutton and concede 4 and I think damn maybe we won't even get in the play offs .
Totally typical Vale let's hope sat as not affected us too much we will see though .

If we had an obvious first 11 then I’d agree with running it back with the same team on Sat, but since we have players just as capable sitting waiting on the bench / having decent cameos it makes sense to change it up. Gone are the days where we have to play underperforming players every game regardless because them playing ok is better than the best of the alternatives.

Politic and Worrall down the sides against Barrow, that sounds like a mismatch to me.

I do think our biggest issue at the moment is not having a commanding header of the ball, so I suppose if we haven’t got one available as a replacement due to injury we’ll just have to hope we’ve got a plan with the players we do have available.

I don’t think DC will change it round to be honest, but we’ll see.

If Legge and Martin are injured maybe they can join the manhunt for Rodney.

8 hours ago, 1 said:

I do think our biggest issue at the moment is not having a commanding header of the ball, so I suppose if we haven’t got one available as a replacement due to injury we’ll just have to hope we’ve got a plan with the players we do have available.

I don’t think DC will change it round to be honest, but we’ll see.

If Legge and Martin are injured maybe they can join the manhunt for Rodney.

It’s been stated several times why Rodney is absent, it’s for personal reasons.

we don’t know what they are, maybe he has covid, maybe his mother has died, if everyone knew the reason it wouldn’t be personal.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Conrad said:

It’s been stated several times why Rodney is absent, it’s for personal reasons.

we don’t know what they are, maybe he has covid, maybe his mother has died, if everyone knew the reason it wouldn’t be personal.

He was sat in their main stand on Saturday with Hurst and Walker.

He came onto the pitch with Hurst to celebrate the Orient win so it won't be covid or illness related.

48 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He was sat in their main stand on Saturday with Hurst and Walker.

He came onto the pitch with Hurst to celebrate the Orient win so it won't be covid or illness related.

A usually reliable source said he has recently become a father.  So maybe just paternity leave. Unless it goes on for ages, not worth reading too much into these things.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1 said:

If we had an obvious first 11 then I’d agree with running it back with the same team on Sat, but since we have players just as capable sitting waiting on the bench / having decent cameos it makes sense to change it up. Gone are the days where we have to play underperforming players every game regardless because them playing ok is better than the best of the alternatives.

Politic and Worrall down the sides against Barrow, that sounds like a mismatch to me.

Do you want politic and Worrall playing against barrow?  If so would you drop Gibbo to get politic in or would you go 4 at the back? 

Edited by PV1973

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Do you want politic and Worrall playing against barrow?  If so would you drop Gibbo to get politic in or would you go 4 at the back? 

Cov

Cass Martin Smith Jones

Pett Conlon Walker (if not fit Taylor)

Worrall Proctor Politic

Not dropping anyone, rotating to prevent injuries: Garrity, Wilson, Gibbons.

• Like 2

Big game as they all are with Mansfield next who seem to mainly always achieve a good result against us it's imperative we win this game .
What I am picking up on at present is first half of games we are really impressive but second half we are either worn out through our first half high energy or that we have little to nothing give or what I suspect is we are told by management defend for the win.
It's hard argue with 5 out of last 7 won however I feel attack is the best form of defence ,keep the ball as far away from our goal as possible and give what you gave last 5 v Leyton Orient consistently over 90 .
Proctor is due a deserved match ball soon let's hope whatever he took him off last week for his not going effect his all round excellence
Team will be very interesting but knowing DC we will be unchanged from team that started last however many games
No problem with that as long asyou do not give a good side a leg up as its hard enough win football matches as it is without giving teams goals from not really great play more sloppiness on our part .
UTV

I don't like to come on here with posts that start 'I know someone who...' but I just have done so can only apologise  😂....

Barrow are worried about playing us, at the moment they are not a particularly fit / mobile side and a large pitch + our style of football really concerns them. If we were playing at their ground they would be more confident based on what they saw against Sutton, but we are an opposition that they are really not looking forward to coming up against.

Bottom line is we need to play to our strengths and expose their weaknesses on Saturday and if we do, we will get a good result.

• Like 3