onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Players can take a while to settle in, others fit in better/shine than at previous clubs. True test will be March  and April but we need to build enough points now to be in the running, but it is looking optimistic at present. I like to be in a high position as we start a FA Cup run, draw next week?
Cup draw tomorrow 1.30 I think.

Advert

Seemed a poor effort from Covolan to save the free kick, even if it was well struck. The owd scrote next to me was up for lynching him - but then he always is, whether he's doing well or not (he's never happier than when one of our lads make a mistake). We'd still be mad to drop him - far too many people gagging for him to fail at Vale Park, and they always ignore the good stuff he's doing.

I thought Benning looked great today, both when he was left back and left wing back when Martin came on. Pett was also quietly excellent - his ball to Woz before our third was a thing of beauty. Did he also play Politic in for the equaliser?

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

It wasn’t great really in terms of entertainment. I thought we were poor in the first half and the overall quality wasn’t consistent. However the flashes of good stuff were much too good for Barrow and we were always going to win after the equaliser. 

Not wholly convinced with a back three with Smith in the centre generally but it was enough today Dan Jones was very good. 

I also don’t think Tom Pett as a centre mid works much either. Little he did was that effective. 

A game of opinions I guess. Agree the first half was very tepid. I think Barrow were very well set up and look decent. However I was very impressed with Pett. I imagine his pass completion was very high. Think he will get better and better. In the second half I thought he was higher up the pitch in the changed formation and his passing became more incisive. 

That Wonder of you Facebook page putting the boot in because DC cupped his ear and his comments after the game the bloke has every right to answer back he's the best manager since Adams stop trying to cause trouble we're on the up come for the ride or get off the bus

6 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Ummm. I’m not sure about the line up, from the perspective that you don’t recover from a groin injury in week.

I’ll say it first, neither Proctor nor Wilson will be on the pitch after 70 minutes. Should start with one or the other, not both today. But just my opinion.

I hope we get the 3 points to get last weeks disaster out of our system but I’m fearing more late drama.

last weeks disaster.....get a grip

13 minutes ago, Mario said:

That Wonder of you Facebook page putting the boot in because DC cupped his ear and his comments after the game the bloke has every right to answer back he's the best manager since Adams stop trying to cause trouble we're on the up come for the ride or get off the bus

Wouldnt read that pile of garbage if someone paid me.

The fact you can’t tell if they are on a wind up or serious demonstrates the level of thought that goes into most of the bile that gets posted on there. 

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Also, those questioning Pett. Did he not get get the assist for the first goal and play worrall in for bennings goal? Mental to say he’s not performing 

It’s only one from what I can tell.

Let’s all not make this out like loads of vale fans don’t rate him.

One bloke has given his opinion which is quite incorrect based on the vast majority of responses

Pett is brill.

UTV

Seemed a poor effort from Covolan to save the free kick, even if it was well struck. The owd scrote next to me was up for lynching him - but then he always is, whether he's doing well or not (he's never happier than when one of our lads make a mistake). We'd still be mad to drop him - far too many people gagging for him to fail at Vale Park, and they always ignore the good stuff he's doing.

I like some of the things we gain from having Covalan in the team like:

Having confidence that the keeper will come and claim crosses, being able to defend just the area outside the 6 yard box, etc

Knowing that the keeper will sweep up, both knside and outside of the box, allowing us to play with a higher line

At the same time I think if you don't drop the goalie now you never are. It sets the wrong message both to Covalan, that he isn't going to be dropped and also to Stone that regardless of reasonable performances in the cup and the 1st choice consistently making errors he isn't going to get an opportunity.

A few questionable non saves plus todays error coupled with a few games of very poor kicking and the error that led to his red surely must meet the threshold for a competent number 2 to get his chance.

It is then up to Stone to keep his position knowing that he has another keeper itching to get his place back.

I think it would be mad not to drop him now.

In other business, a great turnaround from the team, Benning looks like a full back and not a wing back, brave decisions worked out for us today unlike last week, and I'm still not convinced by Wilson but his 2nd half performance today was certainly head and shoulder above any other half he has had for us so far.

53 minutes ago, Doha said:

Also, I liked seeing the huddle at the end before the players came over to the Paddock. As with DC deliberately including his entire backroom staff including the kitman in his manager of the month award photos, the team spirit he promotes is paying dividends.

Come on Doha that cant be right surely.....RZ told us he was a bully and how poor his man management was....we can ask him when he errrmmm next appears

52 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:
1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
Players can take a while to settle in, others fit in better/shine than at previous clubs. True test will be March  and April but we need to build enough points now to be in the running, but it is looking optimistic at present. I like to be in a high position as we start a FA Cup run, draw next week?

Cup draw tomorrow 1.30 I think.

Cup draw ITV from 1.05 Thanks

Huge win, after last seasons form post Tranmere this needed to be nipped in the bid to ease nerves and in the end we did so comfortably.

First half was a bore fest but didn’t feel we were poor, in fact both sides played some good football but nothing was happening in either box, their goal from a free kick was the only real effort either side mustered, looking at it Covolan should have done well and it’s three in three where a long range effort seems to have gone through him so need to look at that, not slating him but needs work on that.

Their lad maybe could of walked for the kick out on Conlon.

Second half we changed it up and we then had too much for Barrow, Politic goal was beautiful, the touch to take it past the last man was sublime, looked like he’d over ran it but great finish from a tight angle.

Once that went in a flat crowd was livened up and seemed a matter of time for the next. Great battling from Wozza and Gibbo for the second, some referees may have pulled it for a foul as Gibbo did nudge their lad but is a 50-50 and we were owed that from last week. Good ball, never a bad idea to drill it across like that as always can take a deflection and did just that… strange run now of 4 own goals in 4 games involving us! 2 for and 2 against.

Benning has his best game yet for us, great finish to end the contest, unlucky with the first but great technique to make it look easier than it was on the rebound.

Pett was excellent I thought, great ball for the first, lovely one to set Worrall for the third (great ball from him in turn for Mal).

Big character shown which is massive improvement on last season, and again optimism from the fact we have so much quality on the bench to change games.

Politic is different gravy. Chuffed to see Mal have a good game and goal too, hopefully that pushes him on.

Cov won’t be dropped.

It’ll be more a case of working hard on certain elements of his shot stopping while utilising the aspects he’s doing well. DC will be thinking of how to improve him rather than swapping him out. He’s the keeper we’ve had in goal every game for a top 3 team. A lot of players are growing into their roles and he’s one of them.

Archived