onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Advert

Great win, great character and finally I think we may have a great team / squad. Previous seasons that would have ended 1-0 or 2-0 Barrow. Now it seems like we have that extra bit of quality to go and win games or turn the tide in games. The table looks pretty tonight.

In terms of Covolan, he can’t not get our support whilst we are 3rd in the league. However, I think he has gotten away with one today and if I’m brutally honest, I’m still yet to see him make a decent save.

Up the Vale. 

12 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Great win, great character and finally I think we may have a great team / squad. Previous seasons that would have ended 1-0 or 2-0 Barrow. Now it seems like we have that extra bit of quality to go and win games or turn the tide in games. The table looks pretty tonight.

In terms of Covolan, he can’t not get our support whilst we are 3rd in the league. However, I think he has gotten away with one today and if I’m brutally honest, I’m still yet to see him make a decent save.

Up the Vale. 

He made an absolute worldie away at Stevenage tipping it on the post. Anyone who saw that save will agree it was exceptional. 

So, I thought DC saw the game exactly as I did, another great post-match interview. First half, occasional flashes of great play let down with sloppy final pass and no shots on target. They played some decent stuff at times but I felt they’d only score from a set play and/or mistake. Can’t really comment on their goal as it looked like a decent hit but even DC said he should have saved it. As predicted Proctor was not fit and I confess I did not see how we were going to get back into the game based on the changes made at HT. How wrong was I! Enter the Messi of L2 with a brilliantly taken equaliser (lovely ball in from Pett?) and a bit of glorious football which forced the OG. We then did the “typical Port Vale” (to quote DC) thing of sitting back and inviting pressure before a lovely counter from their corner and a cracking bit of work from Benning made it 3-1. I was never entirely confident as they started to get joy down the flanks trying to get balls in to the giant No 10 but thankfully we saw the game out. 

I agree Wilson was MoTM today, will never be that 20 goal striker but stepped up to complete a full 90 and has obvious quality to link play. Worrall was a close 2nd. I thought Benning had a great 2nd half, showed excellent control several times and his goal (never mind the ability to get in the hat position) was excellent. Hope he can push on. Politic I thought didn’t do an awful lot after his goal which I think was a consequence of how we sat back, but again his quality is not in doubt. I said at HT that I think Conlon is starting to believe in his own hype and I stand by that. Too often moves broke down with him trying over elaborate flicks, tricks and Hollywood passes and he needs to sometimes keep the game simple. Finally, I’m afraid we do need to give Stone a run. I just think the defence has no confidence in Covolan and his inability to deal with long rangers is concerning. They were having pot shots all game. 

So DC gets to plaudits for the changes which worked this week. A win Tuesday would be champion, we all know that Clough will have been sacked by then and they’ll get that ‘bounce’ which is “typical Port Vale”.

18 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Trying to not get ahead of myself but <ovf censored> me i think were a class above this level when we start playing. Yes there is going to be blips we cant be on it every game of the season but i really think something special is building

Players can take a while to settle in, others fit in better/shine than at previous clubs. True test will be March  and April but we need to build enough points now to be in the running, but it is looking optimistic at present. I like to be in a high position as we start a FA Cup run, draw next week?

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Can anyone remember whether benning mostly played left back (in a back 4) or wingback for mansfield? 

Not sure whether today was just a case of doing something he's more used to?

Either way good for him to make an impact.

I think it was in a back 4. I’m not convinced by him in the wing back system tbh. 

Also, I liked seeing the huddle at the end before the players came over to the Paddock. As with DC deliberately including his entire backroom staff including the kitman in his manager of the month award photos, the team spirit he promotes is paying dividends.

Also, I liked seeing the huddle at the end before the players came over to the Paddock. As with DC deliberately including his entire backroom staff including the kitman in his manager of the month award photos, the team spirit he promotes is paying dividends.
Not bad for a nasty bugger is it?

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

Great man management, in fact - share the credit!

Archived