Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Can anyone remember whether benning mostly played left back (in a back 4) or wingback for mansfield? 

Not sure whether today was just a case of doing something he's more used to?

Either way good for him to make an impact.

Couldn’t get to the game today, but having read the comments on OVF, the second half performance was completely different to the first half performance. So would you stick with the team that finished and would this include keeping Cov between the sticks.?

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Can anyone remember whether benning mostly played left back (in a back 4) or wingback for mansfield? 

Not sure whether today was just a case of doing something he's more used to?

Either way good for him to make an impact.

I think it was in a back 4. I’m not convinced by him in the wing back system tbh. 

Also, I liked seeing the huddle at the end before the players came over to the Paddock. As with DC deliberately including his entire backroom staff including the kitman in his manager of the month award photos, the team spirit he promotes is paying dividends.
Not bad for a nasty bugger is it?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

Also, I liked seeing the huddle at the end before the players came over to the Paddock. As with DC deliberately including his entire backroom staff including the kitman in his manager of the month award photos, the team spirit he promotes is paying dividends.

Great man management, in fact - share the credit!

Players can take a while to settle in, others fit in better/shine than at previous clubs. True test will be March  and April but we need to build enough points now to be in the running, but it is looking optimistic at present. I like to be in a high position as we start a FA Cup run, draw next week?
Cup draw tomorrow 1.30 I think.

Seemed a poor effort from Covolan to save the free kick, even if it was well struck. The owd scrote next to me was up for lynching him - but then he always is, whether he's doing well or not (he's never happier than when one of our lads make a mistake). We'd still be mad to drop him - far too many people gagging for him to fail at Vale Park, and they always ignore the good stuff he's doing.

I thought Benning looked great today, both when he was left back and left wing back when Martin came on. Pett was also quietly excellent - his ball to Woz before our third was a thing of beauty. Did he also play Politic in for the equaliser?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

It wasn’t great really in terms of entertainment. I thought we were poor in the first half and the overall quality wasn’t consistent. However the flashes of good stuff were much too good for Barrow and we were always going to win after the equaliser. 

Not wholly convinced with a back three with Smith in the centre generally but it was enough today Dan Jones was very good. 

I also don’t think Tom Pett as a centre mid works much either. Little he did was that effective. 

A game of opinions I guess. Agree the first half was very tepid. I think Barrow were very well set up and look decent. However I was very impressed with Pett. I imagine his pass completion was very high. Think he will get better and better. In the second half I thought he was higher up the pitch in the changed formation and his passing became more incisive. 

• Like 2

That Wonder of you Facebook page putting the boot in because DC cupped his ear and his comments after the game the bloke has every right to answer back he's the best manager since Adams stop trying to cause trouble we're on the up come for the ride or get off the bus

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Ummm. I’m not sure about the line up, from the perspective that you don’t recover from a groin injury in week.

I’ll say it first, neither Proctor nor Wilson will be on the pitch after 70 minutes. Should start with one or the other, not both today. But just my opinion.

I hope we get the 3 points to get last weeks disaster out of our system but I’m fearing more late drama.

last weeks disaster.....get a grip

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Mario said:

That Wonder of you Facebook page putting the boot in because DC cupped his ear and his comments after the game the bloke has every right to answer back he's the best manager since Adams stop trying to cause trouble we're on the up come for the ride or get off the bus

Wouldnt read that pile of garbage if someone paid me.

The fact you can’t tell if they are on a wind up or serious demonstrates the level of thought that goes into most of the bile that gets posted on there. 

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Also, those questioning Pett. Did he not get get the assist for the first goal and play worrall in for bennings goal? Mental to say he’s not performing 

It’s only one from what I can tell.

Let’s all not make this out like loads of vale fans don’t rate him.

One bloke has given his opinion which is quite incorrect based on the vast majority of responses

Pett is brill.

UTV

• Like 2

Seemed a poor effort from Covolan to save the free kick, even if it was well struck. The owd scrote next to me was up for lynching him - but then he always is, whether he's doing well or not (he's never happier than when one of our lads make a mistake). We'd still be mad to drop him - far too many people gagging for him to fail at Vale Park, and they always ignore the good stuff he's doing.

I like some of the things we gain from having Covalan in the team like:

Having confidence that the keeper will come and claim crosses, being able to defend just the area outside the 6 yard box, etc

Knowing that the keeper will sweep up, both knside and outside of the box, allowing us to play with a higher line

At the same time I think if you don't drop the goalie now you never are. It sets the wrong message both to Covalan, that he isn't going to be dropped and also to Stone that regardless of reasonable performances in the cup and the 1st choice consistently making errors he isn't going to get an opportunity.

A few questionable non saves plus todays error coupled with a few games of very poor kicking and the error that led to his red surely must meet the threshold for a competent number 2 to get his chance.

It is then up to Stone to keep his position knowing that he has another keeper itching to get his place back.

I think it would be mad not to drop him now.

In other business, a great turnaround from the team, Benning looks like a full back and not a wing back, brave decisions worked out for us today unlike last week, and I'm still not convinced by Wilson but his 2nd half performance today was certainly head and shoulder above any other half he has had for us so far.
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Doha said:

Come on Doha that cant be right surely.....RZ told us he was a bully and how poor his man management was....we can ask him when he errrmmm next appears

• Like 2
  • Haha 3