Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

58 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Excellent character shown after a very mediocre first half.

Tuesdays fixtures are brilliant for us. Lots of the top teams play each other.

Come on Vale make your mark by beating Mansfield.

Very content tonight. Slightly concerned about Proctor as that niggle might be more serious. Hopefully precautionary . 

As good as Proctor is, we can afford to let him recover properly, as we finally have decent backup, now the deadwood has been chopped!

• Like 2

I don't get this criticism by some of Pett. He's doing the 'Joyce role', and a lot more effectively than Joyce ever did, plus he can actually pass a ball. Yet Joyce was lauded on here. Baffling
Spot on. It's one of them, if he appears 'anonymous' during a game, he's doing his job,and doing it well. That's what he's there for.
  • Like 1

What a static first half that was. Little movement and creativity. Benning, Politic and Clarke switching formation changed the game.

I've been critical of Benning but his first touch and forward play was outstanding today and I hope that Politic retains his shirt. Wilson was great today. Worked hard and kept possession of the ball. Thought he deserved MOM. The energy of the whole team second half was impressive.

I thought Conlon and Cass (who kept running into players when he had the ball) were not up to their usual high standard. I'm still waiting for Covolan to give me some trust in him. Clarke was critical of him today too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Bolton see him as a definite first teamer in the future. Got no chance getting him permanently. But we can be grateful that he's with us for the rest of this season as he's a match winner.

Dont count us out of this,he isn't signing the contract their and his manager slated him publicly for it...he loves it here and the management,so we will see but he would cost a fee and we would happily pay one

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Doha said:

Disappointed that Covolon is yet again a social media and P&G target for those who NEED to have a whipping boy whatever the results on the pitch. 

Covolan is an easy target, and has been since the 2 unfortunate red cards! The first, in the friendly, never should have been and I'm not convinced about the second one, either? But people are forgetting the number of clean sheets we had; nor the good - and crucial - saves he has made - he's just an easy target especially for the Saint Scott brigade!

• Like 7

Half time changes by DC was a master stroke. Players responded with the formation chance and personnel change with fluidity and guile. First half we overhit the killer balls and I blame Robosprinkler! 
DP's goal was sublime and Benning's finish when it came off the post was immaculate. 
Feeling great about the season so far. Congratulations from owners to fans, have a great weekend all you Valiants.

VTID

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Do you know, I have a funny feeling that somehow Barrow will be somewhat regretting that first half time wasting.

After the third goal when they were lining up to kick off, one of their players was talking to the ref and tapping at an imaginary watch on his wrist. 

• Haha 2

Trying to not get ahead of myself but <ovf censored> me i think were a class above this level when we start playing. Yes there is going to be blips we cant be on it every game of the season but i really think something special is building

• Like 5

Also sometimes goal keepers make mistakes scott brown made numerous mistakes last season that i think people are forgetting- if covolan gives us 3 clean sheets for every mistake he makes id be very happy as clean sheets will get us promoted 

• Like 7

Great win, great character and finally I think we may have a great team / squad. Previous seasons that would have ended 1-0 or 2-0 Barrow. Now it seems like we have that extra bit of quality to go and win games or turn the tide in games. The table looks pretty tonight.

In terms of Covolan, he can’t not get our support whilst we are 3rd in the league. However, I think he has gotten away with one today and if I’m brutally honest, I’m still yet to see him make a decent save.

Up the Vale. 

I fancied Benning putting that volley in after seeing his Mansfield highlight reel.

Got to say, he made it look easy, but rolling that rebound into the corner took a bit of class I thought.

I've seen many of those missed at the vale.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

Great win, great character and finally I think we may have a great team / squad. Previous seasons that would have ended 1-0 or 2-0 Barrow. Now it seems like we have that extra bit of quality to go and win games or turn the tide in games. The table looks pretty tonight.

In terms of Covolan, he can’t not get our support whilst we are 3rd in the league. However, I think he has gotten away with one today and if I’m brutally honest, I’m still yet to see him make a decent save.

Up the Vale. 

He made an absolute worldie away at Stevenage tipping it on the post. Anyone who saw that save will agree it was exceptional. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, I thought DC saw the game exactly as I did, another great post-match interview. First half, occasional flashes of great play let down with sloppy final pass and no shots on target. They played some decent stuff at times but I felt they’d only score from a set play and/or mistake. Can’t really comment on their goal as it looked like a decent hit but even DC said he should have saved it. As predicted Proctor was not fit and I confess I did not see how we were going to get back into the game based on the changes made at HT. How wrong was I! Enter the Messi of L2 with a brilliantly taken equaliser (lovely ball in from Pett?) and a bit of glorious football which forced the OG. We then did the “typical Port Vale” (to quote DC) thing of sitting back and inviting pressure before a lovely counter from their corner and a cracking bit of work from Benning made it 3-1. I was never entirely confident as they started to get joy down the flanks trying to get balls in to the giant No 10 but thankfully we saw the game out. 

I agree Wilson was MoTM today, will never be that 20 goal striker but stepped up to complete a full 90 and has obvious quality to link play. Worrall was a close 2nd. I thought Benning had a great 2nd half, showed excellent control several times and his goal (never mind the ability to get in the hat position) was excellent. Hope he can push on. Politic I thought didn’t do an awful lot after his goal which I think was a consequence of how we sat back, but again his quality is not in doubt. I said at HT that I think Conlon is starting to believe in his own hype and I stand by that. Too often moves broke down with him trying over elaborate flicks, tricks and Hollywood passes and he needs to sometimes keep the game simple. Finally, I’m afraid we do need to give Stone a run. I just think the defence has no confidence in Covolan and his inability to deal with long rangers is concerning. They were having pot shots all game. 

So DC gets to plaudits for the changes which worked this week. A win Tuesday would be champion, we all know that Clough will have been sacked by then and they’ll get that ‘bounce’ which is “typical Port Vale”.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

He made an absolute worldie away at Stevenage tipping it on the post. Anyone who saw that save will agree it was exceptional. 

And a point blank one at Swindon at a key moment in the game.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Trying to not get ahead of myself but <ovf censored> me i think were a class above this level when we start playing. Yes there is going to be blips we cant be on it every game of the season but i really think something special is building

Players can take a while to settle in, others fit in better/shine than at previous clubs. True test will be March  and April but we need to build enough points now to be in the running, but it is looking optimistic at present. I like to be in a high position as we start a FA Cup run, draw next week?