onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Yeah, as @Guitar Ray rightly says, it's daft knocking a former goalkeeper, who was very good for most of his time here, to defend a current one, especially when Covolan, on this occasion, deserves the criticism. I'm glad Stone has given us some reason to believe he would be a good replacement, because I don't think Visser ever truly pushed Brown when his form dipped.

5 hours ago, werstayinup said:

So we win 3-1 and then get post upon post about the goalkeeper

Fair to say expectations have been raised a bit, isn't it?!

Advert

5 hours ago, werstayinup said:

So we win 3-1 and then get post upon post about the goalkeeper

Well, moving away from the keeper situation, I do think the strength of the bench has really been to the fore in recent games. 

That's two matches where we've been able to bring players off the bench to clearly influence the game. Against Orient it was Politic and Amoo - on Saturday it was Politic and Benning. 

2 hours ago, robf said:

Well, moving away from the keeper situation, I do think the strength of the bench has really been to the fore in recent games. 

That's two matches where we've been able to bring players off the bench to clearly influence the game. Against Orient it was Politic and Amoo - on Saturday it was Politic and Benning. 

I think the turning of the game wasn’t just down to solely  those 2 but also because the formation change that freed up Worrall and gibbons on the other side too. It gave us a lot more room to build attacks which they stopped us doing first half.  But you’re right it’s nice to be able to bring players on who can make us better. 

6 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I think the turning of the game wasn’t just down to solely  those 2 but also because the formation change that freed up Worrall and gibbons on the other side too. It gave us a lot more room to build attacks which they stopped us doing first half.  But you’re right it’s nice to be able to bring players on who can make us better. 

@PV1973 True. What I was (inelegantly) trying to say was that having quality players on the bench is a real advantage as you are not weakening your side by bringing them on and (as you say) that also allows flexibility in formation. I'm sure this is a problem the manager is absolutely delighted with - who to play where, in what formation and who to leave out... I'm not surprised he keeps saying he picks the team to beat the opponents as it can come down to who he thinks will do best against the next opponents. 

19 minutes ago, robf said:

@PV1973 True. What I was (inelegantly) trying to say was that having quality players on the bench is a real advantage as you are not weakening your side by bringing them on and (as you say) that also allows flexibility in formation. I'm sure this is a problem the manager is absolutely delighted with - who to play where, in what formation and who to leave out... I'm not surprised he keeps saying he picks the team to beat the opponents as it can come down to who he thinks will do best against the next opponents. 

It’s been a while since we’ve had players who can also stake a legitimate claim to be in the starting 11 and also a manager who has clearly worked on more than one system to get the best out of the squad.

Excellent result Saturday, I'm not normally one who goes in for the saying "we'd have lost that game last season(or under previous managers)" but it was a game you could potentially attribute that to.  I worried we'd wilt or huff and puff at 1-0 down but well done to the Clarke for the subs and the team for battling back with 3 good goals.  I've seen far worse teams than Barrow as well so hopefully it bodes well.

24 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Somebody must have really wound up Clarkey.  Lol

Off-topic, but why don't we do this sort of thing anymore?

Used to love the Super Vale Away behind the scenes videos. Elliot Barnard used to do them on a voluntary basis I believe. A lot of joy used to come from watching back the SVA videos in the week after a great win.

We get a player and manager interview before and after the game (conducted by Radio Stoke/Sentinel), the highlights (which are on Sky and Quest anyways), and that's it. 

There's a possibility that DC, with his tendency to obfuscate regarding injuries/availability, doesn't want a camera poking around, but I still think the media engagement with the fans has so much room for improvement.

There's a market for fan-led media, which Ale and Vale have capitalised excellently on for the audio realm, but I think there's a lot of space for both visual media + written media, now that Baggers is utilised for other clubs and the Sentinel effectively ignores us.

50 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Some mouthy numpty in the Lorne Street no doubt. I sat there for a season some time ago but got thrown out because I didn't have a degree in moaning

I’m in there Phil.  Looked like it was aimed at the box above.  There is an older numpty who sits right at the front with a big gob which spouts drivel loudly. Probably him.  

Clarke looked angry to someone ‘up above’ but was celebrating with the rank and file of the paddock.

I’ve had my fair share of ‘discussions’ for daring to suggest that occasionally we might have actually committed a foul (Brisko being sent off for taking a guy out 2 footed on the half way line springs to mind) or god forbid the opposition may have actually scored a good goal!

22 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Pretty bloody obvious you've got a very short and very selective memory.

hmmm...not great when you choose to deny the truth! There's at least 2 examples on this thread alone. Scott Brown did a great job when he first joined us. By the end of last season his performances had clearly deteriorated.

20 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Stone too will be here with twelve months to prove his worth within the setup and style we need.

He may be young enough to learn but the goalkeeping position is crucial, we keep hearing this, so the least i would expect is a number two to come in and fill in the similar role.

Done expect him to be up and running and equal to Covolan

I hope Stone is, or becomes good enough to seriously challenge Covolan for the no.1 slot - a good young keeper of that age would be a considerable asset.

3 hours ago, LancyTony said:

hmmm...not great when you choose to deny the truth! There's at least 2 examples on this thread alone. Scott Brown did a great job when he first joined us. By the end of last season his performances had clearly deteriorated.

Wow, really two examples? Go and check how many games he played then google the formula to help you work out percentages.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Wow, really two examples? Go and check how many games he played then google the formula to help you work out percentages.

You're really clinging to this! I didn't say there were only 2 examples - just that there were 2 I knew of!! Google the formula???hahahahaha

Archived