onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Advert

6 hours ago, philmpv said:
6 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:
I am still here, I don't feel the need to keep putting myself in the firing line for having a different opinion to the happy clappers. 

All of us have different opinions and are free to express them. Nobody has knocked you for that. It's your insistence on pushing your original opinion despite all of the evidence to the contrary that people give you stick for

"Happy clappers" - the last, desperate resort of those who have no real substance to their opinion!

44 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Fair enough it was just slightly to his left. But you need to watch it again if you think it’s was a dive with outstretched arms. It was so close to being straight at him and he pushed it into the corner. There’s no defending him for conceding a goal like that. 

I've watched it several times and I'm right - his arms are not by his side or in front of his head/chest! He is late seeing it come through the wall, and there is the chance it took a deflection? There are better-paid keepers who have let in similar goals in higher Leagues.

11 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Concerns have been about his kicking when out of goal not his shot stopping so let's give him leeway. 

I'm the opposite. I have concerns about his stop stopping - kicking is not a real issue for me. You can;t make a mistake like that and keep your place in goal.

Time for DC to bring in Stone to show the squad you have to perform or loose your place. What better place to bring him in against his former club where he will feel he has a point to prove.

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

I've watched it several times and I'm right - his arms are not by his side or in front of his head/chest! He is late seeing it come through the wall, and there is the chance it took a deflection? There are better-paid keepers who have let in similar goals in higher Leagues.

Because you think you are right doesn't mean you are right when you could actually be wrong or right!

As an ex goalkeeper I can say he <ovf censored> up and should have saved it. No excuses for not saving.

I could be right or wrong but the only opinion which really matters on this one is DC.

I'm Covolan's biggest fan, and think his abilities in the air and with his feet help us out as a team, but it's undeniable that he's making silly mistakes too frequently. 

A heap of analysis has gone into a goal he simply should have saved. 

I really like him, I like how he allows us to play and think his unique style is an important cog in our, thus far, successful team, and definitely don't want him dropped. However, he's got to start making saves.  

An issue with Covolan is that all the good stuff he does, which helps us to be pretty resolute (despite what the fellas who overreacted to a couple of OGs and deflections said), isn't as obvious as a good save.

He offers a pass back to him under pressure; he starts high which enables a high defensive line, and therefore a much tighter squeeze of available space; he'll come for crosses/corners and relieve pressure. We don't concede many shots, and most are from distance, and this is at least, in a small part, down to having a keeper with a unique play style.

In contrast, we've previously had keepers who offer effectively zero except good shot-stopping; we'd concede a shedload of good chances every week as we were set up wrong, in part down to the limitations of the keeper, and the keeper would often pull off a great save as a last resort, which is really noticeable and fits the traditional criteria of what a keeper should be doing.

Lucas is good in less noticeable ways but he really doesn't help himself when it comes to ballsing up the basics. I hope he fixes it as it is unquestionable that he offers us something very useful (or we wouldn't be third whilst conceding very few good chances). It's whether people can recognise he's playing a part in a winning team without completely turning. 

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

I'm Covolan's biggest fan, and think his abilities in the air and with his feet help us out as a team, but it's undeniable that he's making silly mistakes too frequently. 

A heap of analysis has gone into a goal he simply should have saved. 

I really like him, I like how he allows us to play and think his unique style is an important cog in our, thus far, successful team, and definitely don't want him dropped. However, he's got to start making saves.  

A big problem is we have been spoilt with good solid keepers over recent years (bar the season we had 9). E.g. Alnwick, Neal, Goodlad, Brown and even Anyon did well. Now we have Cov who is a bit different and people are not sure what to make of him. 

I can see people's points of views and a keeping error is more high profile and noticeable.

Nobody surely wanted Conlon dropped after his nice pass to the Orient player for their second goal . 

I'm for sticking with Cov but if Clarke feels it's time for Stone then fair enough.

PS My Conlon quip is tongue in cheek 

18 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Happy clappers 😂😂😂

yes we’re happy RZ we’re 3rd in the table 

Imagine where we could be if we had a manager who wasn't so nasty? And if we still had Pope I think the league would have granted us early promotion. Nasty Clarke out! 

Archived