onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

3 hours ago, Bimbleabout said:
3 hours ago, philmpv said:
I don't get this criticism by some of Pett. He's doing the 'Joyce role', and a lot more effectively than Joyce ever did, plus he can actually pass a ball. Yet Joyce was lauded on here. Baffling

Spot on. It's one of them, if he appears 'anonymous' during a game, he's doing his job,and doing it well. That's what he's there for.

Exactly, if he was flying into tackles and sprinting the full length of the pitch every 2 seconds he’d be knackered, reckless and leaving gaps.

The best teams have players who quietly go about their business, know their role and do simple basics consistently well. Can’t win long-term without them.

Advert

Hoping now that this Mansfield game on Tuesday is a continuation of our infamous record of getting opposition managers sacked, rather than our other one of doing teams that haven't won in months a favour. 

Bit of a gap forming at the top now so it would be phenomenally useful to take advantage of Mansfield's woes and pick up another win rather than our classic party trick of rolling over.

Also, while looking at the table, amazed to see that Tranmere are 4th only having scored 9 goals, the joint 3rd lowest in the league. 

As someone who was critical of Clarke's appointment, and his big man interviews, I have to say his interviews this season have been far more honest and constructive and easier on the ear.

I have gone from being critical of the appointment to being a big fan, didn't stop me pointing out at half time today we were pedestrian and would never score from a deflection because we don't shoot. The subs worked great, but what is most impressive is the crowd ... it's not only getting bigger but the feel good factor has promotion written all over it.

What's even more promising is once out of this league the quality of football being played, particularly James Wilson, will stand us in great stead in a higher league. 

14 minutes ago, Doha said:

Hoping now that this Mansfield game on Tuesday is a continuation of our infamous record of getting opposition managers sacked, rather than our other one of doing teams that haven't won in months a favour. 

Bit of a gap forming at the top now so it would be phenomenally useful to take advantage of Mansfield's woes and pick up another win rather than our classic party trick of rolling over.

Also, while looking at the table, amazed to see that Tranmere are 4th only having scored 9 goals, the joint 3rd lowest in the league. 

However Tranmere have only conceded 4 goals

3 minutes ago, andy jones said:

As someone who was critical of Clarke's appointment, and his big man interviews, I have to say his interviews this season have been far more honest and constructive and easier on the ear.

I find this really interesting… I genuinely don’t see any difference in his interviews this year vs last.

I think a lot of people over reacted last year and now they are realising it was a bit over the top?

Not having a go at you personally as I think a few will be in the same boat… but honestly, he hasn’t changed his interview style at all.

Also, those questioning Pett. Did he not get get the assist for the first goal and play worrall in for bennings goal? Mental to say he’s not performing 
I agree. I thought he probably touched the ball more than anyone and always looked to get involved. Couple of great passes too. Think he looks like an upgrade on joyce.

26 minutes ago, toyahw said:

DC is very passive aggressive in interviews.  He is not a likeable person on the face of it. But as he says, it is about winning games of football. Which we did. So good luck and all the best to him.

I think this is part of the problem… judging him as “likeable” or not based on the 3 mins he gives to the press every few days, rather than how he treats people (players, reporters, supporters, staff behind the scenes all day every day) seems like a particularly poor way of judging someone’s character.

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think this is part of the problem… judging him as “likeable” or not based on the 3 mins he gives to the press every few days, rather than how he treats people (players, reporters, supporters, staff behind the scenes all day every day) seems like a particularly poor way of judging someone’s character.

I agree, i don't give a fig whether he is likeable or not.  If he does the bizz that is it. End of.

Thought today was a really interesting game, and a good battle between two quality managers. Cooper set them up to match/nullify us and they did that very well first half, cutting off the diagonal from Jones to Worrall, stifling him and Gibbo. Nothing in it, lots of decent build-up play from both sides without a decent final ball, proper arm wrestle.

DC responded, perfect substitutions, 4-2-3-1 to press them in the right areas and allow us to dominate possession for 15 mins and turn it around. Countered by Cooper throwing Zanzala on and going three up top to force us to revert to 3 at the back, which DC did but quickly bringing Martin on for Gibbo who was just about doing enough against Zanzala, but was too much of a risk to leave it like that.

Great tussle, we just had too much quality, especially Wilson (my days, when he was juggling the ball down the left, what touch that lad has) and Pett (always available, always head up and on the half-turn, class). Shout out to Garrity too for his energy, how much ground did that man cover?

Great to find a way to win without Proctor, who had been pivotal to our best attacking play so far this season, and chuffed to see Benning (who we know is good enough) have his best game for us. Such a shame his first effort didn't go in, what a goal it would have been.

Happy, happy day finished at the Hopwater Cellar in Castle. You love to see it.

UTV!

Archived