onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Barrow

Fosse69

Advert

Can't help thinking we are all a little bit knee jerk. 

He's not going to make wholesale changes that's not his style ( apart from in the summer 😂 ) .

We've had a bad week defensively conceding 6 . 

We also must be up there for clean sheets so far. 

We are going to have hiccups it's how we respond and we certainly did that after Rochdale. 

Keep the faith. I'll take 6 points from the next 9 and that will see us still ticking over around the top 5 .

I'm quite happy with our position of course I was devastated trooping out of the ground on Saturday but all the stars aligned for Sutton that day , luck, officials, poor defending. 

If we only get one point from the next nine then I'd be concerned a bit. But 4th is more than acceptable. 

I'd actually play the same team if he sticks with the same formation.

Legge and Martin aren't fit . The only conundrum is does Walker come in but that negates attacking threat at home . 

Same team for me and put Sutton to bed by slapping Barrow who are actually only 2 points below us .

I think we need a systematic and existential analysis of what's going on. Root and branch. This spell of poor form simply cannot be allowed to continue.

11 changes minimum, ideally 13-14. Only look at the last game; the other games offer no insight. Violent u-turns on a weekly basis is the way forward for me. If we don't win this week, it's time to consider liquidation.

Don't even think about 4 of the goals we've conceded in the last two weeks being OGs and deflections, and another being from a fraudulent free-kick, and that football is a fairly random game with many variables you can't account for. Drop them all. Shut down the Matrix. Vale Vale.

12 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

6 goals conceded in two games time to try some different players so here's my team .

COVALAN 

Cass Amos Jones 

Worrall Walker Pett Garrity Gibbons 

Wilson Proctor 

IF Martin and Legge not ready try Amos back there all the goals conceded from crosses are where the middle defender is supposed be majority of the time he ain't there how did Worrall end up back there for the third yesterday ,who's supposed be leading at the  back .

Make changes let's not settle for mediocrity. 

Hard decisions need to be made .

UTV 

I'm not sure putting a 5'11 left back at centre half will stop goals being conceded from crosses 😕

13 hours ago, PV1973 said:

So basically you just dropped the 2 stoke fans in the team? 😀

Conlon at left wing back in place of one of our best performers in Gibbo? A left back playing as the central (supposedly dominating) centre half?

I read it as Amoo and didnt batter an eyelid. I am becoming immune to his team selections  😆

Scunthorpe are the only side vale have played in the league this season that were in the bottom half of the table when we played them. This means we are playing sides when there in good form and barrow are another one in decent form. 
We were garbage at home to barrow last season so won't have to do much to perform better than last season's match at vale park. We must be due a penalty as we haven't had one as of yet this season. In fact I can't remember the last time we have been given a penalty. Hopefully we can keep it tight at the back and nick a 1 nil win.
Last seasons game means nothing. We've got a completely different and, most importantly, much better team than last year

Just weird that every defeat is met with deep, reactionary analysis to work out what the causes are, when in reality football teams lose games for often random, uncontrollable reasons.

We're never going to achieve the level of control that, say, Man City have, who minimise the risk of losing games by overwhelmingly retaining possession in safe areas and shoot only when the chance of scoring is good. Even with these tactics and the most expensive squad ever, they still lose games via chance and fluke. Football is a low-scoring game and chance plays a large part in goals (around 50% of goals in football are a result of random influence).

Saturday was emotionally tough and an absolute travesty of a result, but it doesn't warrant the level of scrutiny and analysis, and subsequent change, that people are calling for. 

We have a good evidence base that we're a good side, but we're also a League 2 team capable of poor twenty minutes every week. We're missing our two aerially dominant defenders and, as a consequence of a deflection and a fluke own goal, were made to pay for not clearing our lines well enough. If we'd got regularly pulled apart I'd be concerned, but we don't. 

1 hour ago, leedsvaliant said:

According to their fans they are not the same as last season and are not a particularly big side anymore. I can't see them launching balls from all angles like Sutton.

With Mark Cooper in charge I expect them to be more of a footballing team and to try and pass out from the back and this will suit us.  We seem to be better against these sides rather than the more direct sides, however looking at possession stats from this season, both us and Barrow in the bottom 7 for average possession.

I'm not sure putting a 5'11 left back at centre half will stop goals being conceded from crosses
No idea never seen him play .
Maybe he can tell the defensive line get up the pitch then crosses shouldn't be a problem as the opposition will either be offside or Covalan will just have catching practice hopefully .
It's the whole teams job to firstly block the crosses or if it comes in deal with it if you watch Legge he never moves from his position he heads everything especially when we were under the cosh gets good distance on his headers also .
Let's not give opposition any more hope we need combine our excellent forward play with the desire keep the ball out of our net 6 conceded last 2 games I'd expect changes as all 6 were avoidable .
He as a 24 man squad use them .
If players do not get the nod after conceding 4 goals then when do they get a chance stake a claim .
Would you go unchanged by the way ?or do you think mainly the team are doing well and over achieving when after the L /O game I thought we may win the league and why not then we go to Sutton and concede 4 and I think damn maybe we won't even get in the play offs .
Totally typical Vale let's hope sat as not affected us too much we will see though .

If we had an obvious first 11 then I’d agree with running it back with the same team on Sat, but since we have players just as capable sitting waiting on the bench / having decent cameos it makes sense to change it up. Gone are the days where we have to play underperforming players every game regardless because them playing ok is better than the best of the alternatives.

Politic and Worrall down the sides against Barrow, that sounds like a mismatch to me.

I do think our biggest issue at the moment is not having a commanding header of the ball, so I suppose if we haven’t got one available as a replacement due to injury we’ll just have to hope we’ve got a plan with the players we do have available.

I don’t think DC will change it round to be honest, but we’ll see.

If Legge and Martin are injured maybe they can join the manhunt for Rodney.

8 hours ago, 1 said:

I do think our biggest issue at the moment is not having a commanding header of the ball, so I suppose if we haven’t got one available as a replacement due to injury we’ll just have to hope we’ve got a plan with the players we do have available.

I don’t think DC will change it round to be honest, but we’ll see.

If Legge and Martin are injured maybe they can join the manhunt for Rodney.

It’s been stated several times why Rodney is absent, it’s for personal reasons.

we don’t know what they are, maybe he has covid, maybe his mother has died, if everyone knew the reason it wouldn’t be personal.

Archived