Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Just interested to know if you thought he wasn’t that great until Legge came along to help/mentor him. When he broke through into the side he seemed to be seen as one of the bright lights in an overall crappy season when we went down. 

Well, like I've said, I've never been his biggest fan. Alongside Legge he's alright, but Legge is still our best centre-back by far, despite being 36. That say's a lot.

Advert:

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

For me Nathan Smith has been outstanding this last 5-6 matches if not all season, his reading of the game, fearlessness and tenacity second to none in a Vale shirt. Given the height in their team having a Legge or a Martin alongside him would have been ideal but for various reasons it wasn't possible. Hence more reason to stop the crosses coming in.

Never said he is anything but tenacious. I don't question his commitment or his effort. But I think outstanding is a bit of a reach myself.

Edited by Beech

8 minutes ago, Beech said:

Never said he is anything but tenacious. I don't question his commitment or his effort. But I think outstanding is a bit of a reach myself.

I know you didn't Beechy hence why I didn't directly reply to one of your posts. Just my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I know you didn't Beechy hence why I didn't directly reply to one of your posts. Just my opinion.

Fair enough. I just don't know why a few people are getting upset because I think that we're a better team with Legge in it at the back, and don't rate Smith as much as some others clearly do. And then you get some plank so upset that's he's bringing up stuff from God knows how long ago, haha.

Smith has played under five permanent managers at Vale and a couple of caretakers. He has played over 260 games since his debut just over five seasons ago. He has been nigh on ever present during that time. So either we’ve had some appalling managers whose judgment of a player was seriously flawed or the lad has been a very decent player at this level. 

• Like 6

Advert:

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Smith has played under five permanent managers at Vale and a couple of caretakers. He has played over 260 games since his debut just over five seasons ago. He has been nigh on ever present during that time. So either we’ve had some appalling managers whose judgment of a player was seriously flawed or the lad has been a very decent player at this level. 

But there's a reason he's still playing at League Two level. He's not a bad player. But Legge even at 36 is better.

9 hours ago, Beech said:

Fair enough. I just don't know why a few people are getting upset because I think that we're a better team with Legge in it at the back, and don't rate Smith as much as some others clearly do. And then you get some plank so upset that's he's bringing up stuff from God knows how long ago, haha.

Ha ha.

Hilarious pal. The bet was going to Lee Collins family as you full well know and you didn't pay up. Shame on you. 

Were you calling Van dijk and Matip out the other week when ran ragged by a lower league journeyman Toney ? 

9 hours ago, Beech said:

But there's a reason he's still playing at League Two level. He's not a bad player. But Legge even at 36 is better.

Fact.  We haven’t won with Legge in the team this season. This is no reflection on Legge who has great attributes - it simply demonstrates that he is not the only defender worth his salt in the team. Smith has played in all our League wins. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Fact.  We haven’t won with Legge in the team this season. This is no reflection on Legge who has great attributes - it simply demonstrates that he is not the only defender worth his salt in the team. Smith has played in all our League wins. 

Still doesn't mean he must surely be better than Legge. I like them as a pair, but I feel we miss Legge more than we would Smith. Smith is neither quick or big, and I think both of those are important attributes for any defender, even more so at this level.

Edited by Beech

Advert:

49 minutes ago, Beech said:

Still doesn't mean he must surely be better than Legge. I like them as a pair, but I feel we miss Legge more than we would Smith. Smith is neither quick or big, and I think both of those are important attributes for any defender, even more so at this level.

I didn’t say he was surely better than Legge. Simply pointing out that he is clearly worth his place in the team which you seem to doubt. 

13 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I didn’t say he was surely better than Legge. Simply pointing out that he is clearly worth his place in the team which you seem to doubt. 

Do I? He's our second best centre-back.

Just think he's pretty average, and is a better player when Legge is next to him.

Edited by Beech

1 hour ago, Beech said:

No, I wasn't. Because why would there be a thread about a Liverpool vs Brentford game here? But what that has got to do with Nathan Smith and the fact that I don't rate him as highly as others seem to in the first place, only you know, you strange little man.

On the premier League thread Tyler B seeing as you a big dipper supporter . 

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

On the premier League thread Tyler B seeing as you a big dipper supporter . 

Make a thread about what was a wonderful game of football between a world-class team and a team that are a credit to themselves, and I'll comment.

Advert:

21 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Yes Saturday was a bad result from 2.0 and 3.2 up and yes we were shocking defensively but weren’t we saying a month ago we look solid at the back but can’t see where the goals are going come from how things change over a month 

True, but no point going away from home and scoring three if you're going to concede four. We seem to be able to look like a hard team to beat for a few games, extremely organised, but then suddenly look like a bunch of schoolboys for a game when we're put under any sort of real pressure. Not many teams try to play football in League Two and that's where we'll come unstuck, especially without Legge at the back. Won't be the last time we concede 3 or 4 this season unless we stop teams from putting in cross after cross.

Edited by Beech

42 minutes ago, Beech said:

True, but no point going away from home and scoring three if you're going to concede four. We seem to be able to look like a hard team to beat for a few games, extremely organised, but then suddenly look like a bunch of schoolboys for a game when we're put under any sort of real pressure. Not many teams try to play football in League Two and that's where we'll come unstuck, especially without Legge at the back. Won't be the last time we concede 3 or 4 this season unless we stop teams from putting in cross after cross.

2 of the goals were a wild deflection and a freak own goal. Both of Orient's goals were either a deflection or an own goal. It's a bit of bad luck after we had some good luck. All balances out.  

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

2 of the goals were a wild deflection and a freak own goal. Both of Orient's goals were either a deflection or an own goal. It's a bit of bad luck after we had some good luck. All balances out.  

Yeah, it was one of them games. But we still looked nowhere near there level at times in terms of sheer physicality, and height throughout the side. It was men against boys at times, no matter that we managed to play some lovely football in periods and were clearly on a different level to them technically. Without Legge at the back I always feel we'll get battered by teams who play in the style that they did, even if all of there goals did come with a large slice of luck.

Edited by Beech