Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

All 4 goals were pretty disastrous. The first , the guy gets way too much room to shoot. The second, I'm not sure what garrity was trying? The 3rd, why is worrall marking the guy in the box? He's one of the shortest in our team. That was the poorest defending wise. The last goal was like a kids match. Terrible goalkeeping, nobody put their boot through it.

We have a nasty habit of when we concede that we don't just concede one. It's one of the few games where it didn't look like we had prepared properly. We basically needed to stop them launching balls into our box as that was their only tactic. Stop crosses coming in and we win the game. I think worrall and gibbo had an off day as I think that's probably their job. The subs were horrible too and just didn't work. Everyone had a bad day basically.

I'm hoping it was just one of those days where nothing went for us, deflection, own goal, poor refereeing decisions, it was never going to be our day. We need to move on quickly against a decent looking Barrow side. Win that and we could be back in the automatics. We're going to lose games, it's how we bounce back that matters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

All 4 goals were pretty disastrous. The first , the guy gets way too much room to shoot. The second, I'm not sure what garrity was trying? The 3rd, why is worrall marking the guy in the box? He's one of the shortest in our team. That was the poorest defending wise. The last goal was like a kids match. Terrible goalkeeping, nobody put their boot through it.

We have a nasty habit of when we concede that we don't just concede one. It's one of the few games where it didn't look like we had prepared properly. We basically needed to stop them launching balls into our box as that was their only tactic. Stop crosses coming in and we win the game. I think worrall and gibbo had an off day as I think that's probably their job. The subs were horrible too and just didn't work. Everyone had a bad day basically.

I'm hoping it was just one of those days where nothing went for us, deflection, own goal, poor refereeing decisions, it was never going to be our day. We need to move on quickly against a decent looking Barrow side. Win that and we could be back in the automatics. We're going to lose games, it's how we bounce back that matters.

Worralls the wing back so he’s got to be able to defend the back post.

I think the worst aspect of their third and fourth goals are the lack of speed with which their guy with the ball is pressed. The thrower for the third has all the time in the world as our player just jogs  out to him. Even for the fourth we switched off and let them take it short with no pressure on the guy that put it in.

• Like 1

DC seems to be keeping the 352/532 (however you see it) for the whole game now, rather than switching it up. That caught FGR and Harrogate off guard in particular. Need to go back to that rather than try and soak up the pressure.

when the actual <ovf censored> is Leon the beast lacing up again?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 1 said:

Better learn quick as Barrow are another great big dirty team with no footballers.

At least being at home it will be on a much bigger pitch. I'd also expect to give Sutton a good pumping at Vale Park if we're on it. Their small, compact pitch suits the way they play down to a tee.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, osprey said:

Steady Stone for me

covolan always a risk of giving a goal away 

Yes sorry to say this but I agree, Stone put in a good performance on Tuesday,made a couple of good saves, deserves  shot in at first choice. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Worralls the wing back so he’s got to be able to defend the back post.

I think the worst aspect of their third and fourth goals are the lack of speed with which their guy with the ball is pressed. The thrower for the third has all the time in the world as our player just jogs  out to him. Even for the fourth we switched off and let them take it short with no pressure on the guy that put it in.

When you look at it, all four goals originated from set-pieces. We cannot chuck away 3 points like we have done today and there not be changes. We’ll be up against another team lumping balls into the box so we’ve got to address this issue of stopping crosses coming in. 

• Like 1

Some very valid points made and I think most of us have the same opinion.

We just sat back second half and didn't put enough pressure on the ball, the irony being that whenever we went forward we looked like we could score.  They were bigger all over the park so it was inevitable they would get on the end of some of the numerous balls we allowed to be pumped into our box but their goals were far too easy.

Amoo, Lloyd and Johnson actually made us worse.  What was wrong with trying Politic through the middle in place of Wilson?  The guy has a goal in him and a bit of physicality.

The Matrix has gone with more cultured central defenders than we had previously, so, whilst it's great to see Jones pinging 40 yard diagonal balls to Wozz, the trade off is that we're lightweight in central defence and teams like Sutton are able to exploit this weakness, so I guess we'll have to accept that we'll see a few more games like today, perhaps until Legge is fit.

Some of our play first half was outstanding it's just a shame that we dropped our standards second half.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

You could have put your mortgage on this ending in defeat pre-match, all the classic Ingredients; MOTM curse and decent and expectant following to a smaller club.

Just don’t understand why, irrespective of the tactics, players or managers, who always balls up games like this. Any trip to the likes of Rochdale, Macclesfield and now Sutton it seems always ends in disappointment.

Why do we struggle against so-called physical sides. We do have more physicality in the squad, so why should this be an issue? 

Why do we still struggle with balls into the box as @valefan16points out? 

When you look at the team we had out on the pitch compared to Sutton it was quite clear who was the bigger side.  Without Legge we're pretty small at the back and the midfield isn't the biggest so it's always going to be tough against your Suttons.  It's very difficult to consistently win the ball, get it down on the deck and play your football against these teams, who're just looking to launch the ball at every opportunity rather than play the ball through you.  We managed to play some great stuff first half but not enough the second, certainly after Proctor went off.

31 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

At the end of the da you shouldn't be losing that <ovf censored> game. Poor. Sick of it. Little old port vale. Bad rank management of the situation.

That's football.  Last week "little old Port Vale" snatched victory when it looked impossible.  Swings and roundabouts.  Bad management?  You could also say bad luck, bad ref, bad whatever you want but you've also got to give a bit of credit to the opposition for not giving up.  They stuck to their guns and had the rub of the green in the end.

• Like 2

We seem to be far better in the first half hour of games than we are for the final hour. The test now is how we respond at home next week. We're not going to win them all but it is a bit worrying how easy we've conceded goals today. 

Proctor was a big miss today once he was subbed off. 

• Like 2

Can't grumble after last week. We are at the right end of the table. A nice 10 game unbeaten run will see us cement ourselves in a good position. I still think we will be in the top 3. We will learn from this, we have a good management team unlike last year with that  buffhead in charge.

• Like 3

Better learn quick as Barrow are another great big dirty team with no footballers.

Don’t think they are this season. Got Cooper now who usually is a footballing manager (think FGR playing pretty patterns at the back and us getting plenty of joy pressing them)

Just woke up. Decided I cannot put in print what I felt about yesterday other than to ask...anyone know why Proctor was taken off?

According to DC he has been carrying a knock, but he didn't go into detail as to where.

Too many times when we’ve played our best football this season it’s only been in spells and it’s not been enough to kill the opposition off. We also look vulnerable  to a big target man.