Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

How did we lose this? Dreadful defending, no control in midfield, no leadership on the pitch, dire substitutions and - worst of all after last week - totally mentally weak. All the failures of last season on display and the biggest was in central defence where we missed Legge's total dominance. Absolutely awful to watch.

We have a long, long way to go.

Edited by CambridgeDon

Advert:

Never felt confident for us after their first goal. We didn't get going apart from the first 30 mins. Second half was like last week, just losing the ball, giving it away and wave after wave of Sutton pushing us.
Ref was beyond awful. But if your 2/0 up and lose the game its not the refs fault. It's the teams.
Gutted, but not good enough. 6 goals conceded in two games is appalling lol
Come on Vale!!

• Like 1

The Sutton players acting like a bunch of thugs right in front of our supporters was the ultimate piss take. Absolutely vile side. Hope they go back to where they belong sooner rather than later. <ovf censored>.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beech said:

Lloyd is like playing with 10 men for a start. And taking off Proctor, the only one capable of holding the ball up for us, was absolutely mental.

I agree with Proctor having seen the outcome, although really 3-2 up without him, the defence should see it out. 

Sutton 2, Ref 2, Vale 3

Poor defending yes, but they are a horrible, one-dimensional lump of a team, enabled by a weak, utterly incompetent and logic-free ref.

Three times Garrity took a boot to the face, and not one freekick given. The freekick for the winner is one of the most ludicrous decisions I've seen in ages. Lloyd wins the header, gets clattered, and some how not only gets the freekick given against him, but also gets booked? How?

Farce of a game that.

• Like 4

Advert:

Just now, TJHValiant said:

I agree with Proctor having seen the outcome, although really 3-2 up without him, the defence should see it out. 

They were always going to come on to us as we drop deeper and deeper. It's absolutely vital you have someone up front that can hold it up so you can push out a bit. Bringing on Amoo and Lloyd, I just can't make any sense of it. No way we lose that game if Proctor stays on.

Advert:

3 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Nah. Duff defending and clumsy GK error. We were 3-2 up post subs and should have held on. 

I get the logic of getting a big lad on the pitch in Johnson, but the Gibbo sub especially meant we ended up sitting deeper and invited pressure, Jones didn’t get out at all to press their right back and it invited them on to us. Before that they were hardly creating anything down that side. But even so we have to do better in defending not only the cross but the second ball too. They are a very limited side and are one dimensional but if we don’t do the basics then we’ll struggle. 

There’s no denying that the decision to award a foul against Lloyd is a terrible decision, but we have to switch on and defend it properly. The ref was dishing out cards like confetti. Gutted by that. 

• Like 2

Just now, TreacleValiant said:

A shambles of a second half performance not helped by awful substitutions. Lloyd and Amoo for Wilson and Proctor! Jeez. 

Mental bit of management by Clarke. He should come out with an apology for that, it's that bad.

Advert:

What a horrible team to play against and their "celebration" was horrific and could have caused a major problem. Thought we got bullied out of our stride today but don't understand taking Procter off unless he's got a knock. defensively we always looked like struggling against their up and under approach.

I don't normally comment on refs because you know what to sort of expect in this League but this bloke today was very, very poor. At times he looked completely out of his depth and some of the decisions which inevitably led to them winning were "questionable", shall we say?

Oh well....move on......their bubble will burst eventually and I'm already looking forward to them coming the Vale.

• Like 3

Really don’t know what to say, it does feel like the Orient game from last year - battered them first half then literally thrown the game away second. I thought we’d learned how to see games out. Weird subs, left without any presence up front. I really hope we can pick ourselves up.