onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

48 minutes ago, Beech said:

I don't need to answer that seeing as I've already said that calling him a none league player was just a silly comment of out frustration.

But I don't think he's very good. Far from it. I don't think he's much if any better than Brisley was myself. Though for a defender he does get one or two goals which is always helpful. Without Legge next to him though I think he often looks considerably worse.

Just interested to know if you thought he wasn’t that great until Legge came along to help/mentor him. When he broke through into the side he seemed to be seen as one of the bright lights in an overall crappy season when we went down. 

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Yeah, everybody must rate every single player at the club just as highly as yourself. Give your head a wobble. Even if we had won the game, my opinion on Smith wouldn't have changed one bit.

Grow up. You got some gall even being on here after what you said about that lads mum and your shameless bottling paying up losing your bet 

You are a complete knee jerk merchant. Last year you said Harrogate top 10 after their glorious 0-0 draw at Vale and didn't pay up. This year you proclaimed Rochdale as wonderful.

At least I think before I type . 

I for one aren't saying that Smith is a Championship player as that would be silly BUT i am saying that imo he is a very good League Two defender,people can bring up the Smith was in our very poor sides over the years and then blame him for everything that goes wrong in a defeat but lets be realistic he has has to also play with some <ovf censored> players in those depressing times and that can even bring the best players down to their level.

For me Nathan Smith has been outstanding this last 5-6 matches if not all season, his reading of the game, fearlessness and tenacity second to none in a Vale shirt. Given the height in their team having a Legge or a Martin alongside him would have been ideal but for various reasons it wasn't possible. Hence more reason to stop the crosses coming in.

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

For me Nathan Smith has been outstanding this last 5-6 matches if not all season, his reading of the game, fearlessness and tenacity second to none in a Vale shirt. Given the height in their team having a Legge or a Martin alongside him would have been ideal but for various reasons it wasn't possible. Hence more reason to stop the crosses coming in.

Spot on. I keep hearing about our lack of height at the back, but nothing about stopping the cross in the first place. We gave their wide men all the time on the world.

However I’m not having a go at any one player, it was just a bad day at the office. I expect a full on reaction Saturday.

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Just interested to know if you thought he wasn’t that great until Legge came along to help/mentor him. When he broke through into the side he seemed to be seen as one of the bright lights in an overall crappy season when we went down. 

Well, like I've said, I've never been his biggest fan. Alongside Legge he's alright, but Legge is still our best centre-back by far, despite being 36. That say's a lot.

2 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Never said he is anything but tenacious. I don't question his commitment or his effort. But I think outstanding is a bit of a reach myself.

8 minutes ago, Beech said:

Never said he is anything but tenacious. I don't question his commitment or his effort. But I think outstanding is a bit of a reach myself.

I know you didn't Beechy hence why I didn't directly reply to one of your posts. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

I know you didn't Beechy hence why I didn't directly reply to one of your posts. Just my opinion.

Fair enough. I just don't know why a few people are getting upset because I think that we're a better team with Legge in it at the back, and don't rate Smith as much as some others clearly do. And then you get some plank so upset that's he's bringing up stuff from God knows how long ago, haha.

Smith has played under five permanent managers at Vale and a couple of caretakers. He has played over 260 games since his debut just over five seasons ago. He has been nigh on ever present during that time. So either we’ve had some appalling managers whose judgment of a player was seriously flawed or the lad has been a very decent player at this level. 

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Smith has played under five permanent managers at Vale and a couple of caretakers. He has played over 260 games since his debut just over five seasons ago. He has been nigh on ever present during that time. So either we’ve had some appalling managers whose judgment of a player was seriously flawed or the lad has been a very decent player at this level. 

But there's a reason he's still playing at League Two level. He's not a bad player. But Legge even at 36 is better.

9 hours ago, Beech said:

Fair enough. I just don't know why a few people are getting upset because I think that we're a better team with Legge in it at the back, and don't rate Smith as much as some others clearly do. And then you get some plank so upset that's he's bringing up stuff from God knows how long ago, haha.

Ha ha.

Hilarious pal. The bet was going to Lee Collins family as you full well know and you didn't pay up. Shame on you. 

Were you calling Van dijk and Matip out the other week when ran ragged by a lower league journeyman Toney ? 

9 hours ago, Beech said:

But there's a reason he's still playing at League Two level. He's not a bad player. But Legge even at 36 is better.

Fact.  We haven’t won with Legge in the team this season. This is no reflection on Legge who has great attributes - it simply demonstrates that he is not the only defender worth his salt in the team. Smith has played in all our League wins. 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Fact.  We haven’t won with Legge in the team this season. This is no reflection on Legge who has great attributes - it simply demonstrates that he is not the only defender worth his salt in the team. Smith has played in all our League wins. 

Still doesn't mean he must surely be better than Legge. I like them as a pair, but I feel we miss Legge more than we would Smith. Smith is neither quick or big, and I think both of those are important attributes for any defender, even more so at this level.

Archived