onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

I think the main reason we lost this game was because of Darrel's tactics. Not the playing tactics because by and large we have played some great stuff this season with plenty of cracking goals. It is his tactics of having the players time wasting from the very first minute. Yesterday I thought the ref was decent in the first half on most of his decisions but was being intimidated by Sutton's players and fans about the time wast ing from about five minutes in , which is ridiculous. The ref booked three of our players for time wasting and I honestly think he was exasperated by this and the ear bashing about it from Sutton. I think this is why, unconsciously, he favoured the home team with his decisions in the second half, which ended up costing the game.

I am sure refs are getting wise to our "gamesmanship" which could eventually cost us a top three place if we end up losing players for totting up offences, so please DC play on the front foot as this Vale team look capable of beating teams with the brand of football you play which is much more pleasing than seeing our players pretend to take a throw in and then leave it for someone else and also seeing you goalkeeper going down as though he has been shot in the leg , only to get up and use that same leg to kick the ball 100yards.

So Sutton didn't beat Vale yesterday, Vale beat Vale yesterday. Such a shame in front of so many travelling fans.

Advert

57 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Don’t really understand why you are chastising people for having a different opinion on the goalie situation.

I have no reason to prefer one over the other, simply want the best man for the job.

I’ve not been convinced by what I’ve seen so far from Covolan so would like to see what Stone can do given he’s not exactly inexperienced.  

I was one to think Stone can't be far of getting a call up to starting 11 in the hype after game hysteria. Watched full replay this morning,a great addition from ifollow, being at the game viewing position not great and sun in eyes for most of game, don't think Covolan was at fault alone for any of the goals, think they we're a good side with a bit of depth according to their commentary,a big side played to that strength, played some good football and pressed us well, I'm sorry we lost but not overly disappointed, sometimes these little setbacks help to regroup ready for Saturday, forward gether, keep believing,up the Vale

I didn't go to the game and followed it on my Sky App. So I guess I shouldn't comment really. I know the manager is using sports science and performance analysis, but without all that I was alarmed at taking off the two strikers. With the players brought on that is trying to play on the break without an experienced target man plus the loss of defensive capability in the air. 

I don't want to criticise its my opinion and maybe my choices would not have worked out either. But surely the road to success is clean sheets and winning 1-0 or 2-0. So there is a problem with the team defending if we keep getting high scoring games where who wins is a lottery. 

There is agreement this is the strongest League 2 possibly ever. So we have to be efficient and not throw games away.

On the subject of game management, one thing that did occur to me yesterday was why not, when under pressure at 3-2 up in a tiny ground, repeatedly deliberately smash the ball out of the ground?  Wastes a bit of time and, generally, gets a reaction from the crowd.  Best example I can give is away at Altrincham years ago in the cup.  Not that we we’re under any pressure there that day.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

We're 4th. Criminal way to lose but a wild deflection and an inexplicable own goal is unfortunate and unlikely.

Lucas has ballsed it for the 4th but it would seem a few lads have been in the woodwork, waiting patiently for him to balls up, before calling for "Steady Stone" (🤐) and using the word 'methinks'. Grown men at it. 

I’m suggesting ‘steady Stone’ because I like what I’ve seen of him so far. 
Covolan has made some good saves and does come for crosses but you can’t deny he always has it in him to completely mess it up as well. 

Well very disappointing result! It does seem the way to get out of the national league is have a team of over six footers ! It also seems to work in league two! Could have really done with Leggy yesterday. Still lessons learned got to stop the crosses coming in when we play these teams ! We didn’t have the rub of the green this week onwards and upwards good test again against Barrow .. Got watch out for there antics ! 

A huge disappointment of a result given that we were leading, and has probably re-set my expectations after our good run of results. The important thing is how we deal with it going into the next few games. If I could criticise anything, it would be the subs which meant we were forced back instead of getting a decisive goal. 

1 hour ago, osprey said:

I’m suggesting ‘steady Stone’ because I like what I’ve seen of him so far. 
Covolan has made some good saves and does come for crosses but you can’t deny he always has it in him to completely mess it up as well. 

Doesn't every keeper?  Look at Alisson  against Man City last season when he handed them the game yet he is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

Brown had some very ropey games for us last year and Visser had looked good in the Trophy games before his injury - I don't recall anyone demanding a change then but that was because Brown was a hero so couldn't be criticised.

20 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Doesn't every keeper?  Look at Alisson  against Man City last season when he handed them the game yet he is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

Brown had some very ropey games for us last year and Visser had looked good in the Trophy games before his injury - I don't recall anyone demanding a change then but that was because Brown was a hero so couldn't be criticised.

It’s my personal view - Covolan gives me the jitters 

Amazingly, we are still fourth in the table after that dismal performance, which shows how inconsistent this league is, and that's going to be the key for us if we're going to get promotion. Yesterday was appalling and no team with promotion in mind can continue to concede so many goals in the way we have and hope to go up. Hopefully DC will get this right just as he did last season, and for most of this, but he needs to tighten up very quickly or we will soon start to lose ground.

Sutton are a good example of the kind of unsophisticated football, based on pace and height, that we seem to have difficulty coping with. We just don't have the physicality in the team, either in midfield without Walker or in defence without Legge, to be able to match sides that inflict this type of game on us. We saw it at Northampton, Rochdale (where Beesley totally bullied our defence) and then yesterday. The reason people keep bemoaning Legge's absence is just a symptom of our lack of replacement for him. We just don't have anyone else that shows his level of aerial dominance, overpowering physicality and defensive strength who can combat the likes of Sutton and the rest. In this league, you not only have have to be able to out football your opponents you also have to be able to match them physically.

How long Legge will be out, we just don't know but, regardless, we should be looking to bring in someone of his ilk in the January window, just as Micky brought in Darren Purse in 2013 and shored up our defence when McCombe got injured. 17 games later we were up.

Yesterday is gone - it's how we respond that matters and Barrow will be a key test for us. 

Archived