onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Should of shut up shop at 3/2 and made defensive subs. The formation was changed to 442 but the wrong subs imo.
A terribly unlucky day tbf but its football and one of those things.
I just hope, with the amount of goals we've been leaking, that we don't generally go back to a more defensive set up.
I don't think we will as 5 of those 6 goals have been very flukey, deflections, own goal, ref decisions etc etc
Our second half performances of the last two games haven't been great. We seem to sit back and just let them come at us and then the enviable happens.
Looking forward to the next game to see the tweaks DC et all will make.
We are 70% there I reackon .
Atm it looks like our second half and defence is pivotal to our season.

Advert

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We're 4th. Criminal way to lose but a wild deflection and an inexplicable own goal is unfortunate and unlikely.

Lucas has ballsed it for the 4th but it would seem a few lads have been in the woodwork, waiting patiently for him to balls up, before calling for "Steady Stone" (🤐) and using the word 'methinks'. Grown men at it. 

Don’t really understand why you are chastising people for having a different opinion on the goalie situation.

I have no reason to prefer one over the other, simply want the best man for the job.

I’ve not been convinced by what I’ve seen so far from Covolan so would like to see what Stone can do given he’s not exactly inexperienced.  

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Christ mate it's one game! We're 4th! We did the exact same thing to another team last week and were on cloud 9.

What are you sick of? How is this 'little old Port Vale' when we inflicted this on a promotion rival 7 days ago?

"When we do it to a team it's amazing, and what football is all about. When a team does it to us, it's little old Port Vale'. Its football. High and lows. We're bang in the promotion mix. Won 5 in 7.

Not sure if you can view a posters history on here. I remember said poster coming out with utter drivel after Rochdale I'm sure ( again might be wrong) that on that occasion he accused Carol of ' falling for the waffle ' 

It's staggering we have so called supporters who revel in defeat and can't wait to spout their bitter diatribe 

2 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Don’t really understand why you are chastising people for having a different opinion on the goalie situation.

I have no reason to prefer one over the other, simply want the best man for the job.

I’ve not been convinced by what I’ve seen so far from Covolan so would like to see what Stone can do given he’s not exactly inexperienced.  

Covolan's been in goal and we're 4th in the table. Stick with him.

9 hours ago, rob1983 said:

At the end of the da you shouldn't be losing that <ovf censored> game. Poor. Sick of it. Little old port vale. Bad rank management of the situation.

What is it about Vale losing that you get off on ? 

You came out with bile after Rochdale and barely posted since 

You are either a lardie on a wind up or just love to have a moan. 

What exactly are you sick of ? 

Northampton lost , absolute nothing match, probably 0-0 was fair result. 

Rochdale lost played some exhilarating stuff . Yes we messed it up but also promising signs which were followed by 4 successive league wins .

Sutton. Played some tremendous stuff , awful defending and a combination of bad luck bad ref and bad defending.

I repeat , what exactly are you sick of ?

It's a joke isn't it that we aren't 11-0-0 on 33 points . 

I think the manner of yesterday’s defeat was, to pardon the pun, indefensible. To blow 2-0 and 3-2 leads reeks of last year when we started with an “iron curtain” of a defence which soon became a chocolate teapot. People are noticing a trend…. Starting games quickly and playing exceptional football for the first 30 mins, but then for whatever reason taking our foot off the gas and inviting pressure. That’s 3 vs Rochdale, 2 vs Orient, 4 vs Sutton. Not the defensive performance that will get you promoted.

I've calmed down a little now. Fellow Valiants, this is Division 2! Vale can and do frequently, look very good footballing wise but we, like other teams , have a "soft" belly and a few wobbles. In the main, in a very open Division, we are capable of reaching the play offs but we do have to add a nasty and "hard" streak to our performances. 

To get out of this god forsaken horrid Division tenacity and some of the darker arts are required in addition to the footballing side. In my opinion we do not possess the former in sufficient terms, yet.

We can open teams up and look likely to score goals now but we still have this undercurrent of sitting back and being incapable of defending without panicking.

Lots to like about the current squad but when we come up against giants and rough and ready football we have to be able to withstand the pressures. We aren't going to win every game but when you travel great distances to support your favourites it is so, so frustrating to throw games away that in hindsight we surely should have closed down.

Up and down season but it's in our own hands that we secure promotion this time round. 

I think the manner of yesterday’s defeat was, to pardon the pun, indefensible. To blow 2-0 and 3-2 leads reeks of last year when we started with an “iron curtain” of a defence which soon became a chocolate teapot. People are noticing a trend…. Starting games quickly and playing exceptional football for the first 30 mins, but then for whatever reason taking our foot off the gas and inviting pressure. That’s 3 vs Rochdale, 2 vs Orient, 4 vs Sutton. Not the defensive performance that will get you promoted.

7 hours ago, valiant steve said:

We seem to be far better in the first half hour of games than we are for the final hour.

This is where questions will start to be asked about Wilson. If we can’t get anything close to a full 90 minutes out of him then he needs to be doing more conditioning work. 

We’ve lost it rather than they’ve won it. No team has beaten us by outplaying / thrashing us yet. Cut out the mistakes and play to our ability with full concentration and we are more than good enough.

This league hasn’t got many whipping boys and has lots of very evenly matched teams, so concentration and robust defending will be key.

The team against Barrow will be interesting. Not wholesale change by any means but I personally would make a few changes.

55 minutes ago, Bimbleabout said:

Should of shut up shop at 3/2 and made defensive subs. The formation was changed to 442 but the wrong subs imo.
A terribly unlucky day tbf but its football and one of those things.
I just hope, with the amount of goals we've been leaking, that we don't generally go back to a more defensive set up.
I don't think we will as 5 of those 6 goals have been very flukey, deflections, own goal, ref decisions etc etc
Our second half performances of the last two games haven't been great. We seem to sit back and just let them come at us and then the enviable happens.
Looking forward to the next game to see the tweaks DC et all will make.
We are 70% there I reackon .
Atm it looks like our second half and defence is pivotal to our season.

He went defensive at 3-2 and took off Gibbo for Johnson. With Johnson going to centre half and Jones moving out to left wing back. So we kept the same formation. But it backfired IMO. 

40 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I agree. That was the main point of concern. First half we were so dominant and it should not have been a contest. We let them back in and while two of the goals were utter calamity defending, their other two could certainly have been avoided. 

Yes, we are still 4th (I actually think there is no reason why we should not dominate the league this year) and yes we have played very well recently, but in isolation, that was really poor. 

Archived