onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Twin promotion pushes

manc_vale

Its exciting times in the manc_vale house... If it wasnt enough that for the first time in ages I am actually looking forward to each Vale game, at the same time my local side West Didsbury and Chorlton are also having a brilliant season.

214077926_Screenshot2021-10-04at10_00_01.thumb.png.0e6b2c2e352329febc7a924bcab115a2.png

Two teams that significantly improved the squads following the fallout from the Covid year.

UTV!

• 1 month later...

Advert

Update on this... Whilst Port Vale are sitting in the automatic promotion places of League 2, in South Manchester, West Didsbury and Chorlton are storming the league...

1993063137_Screenshot2021-11-16at00_12_32.thumb.png.e0a4b11778f7c705e7ca00f97733c6d4.png

A 0-7 thrashing of the hapless bottom of the division side St Martins was nice at the weekend...

Only one goes up automatically though, so no place for complacency.

I’ve not been this season but I usually go now and then because it isn’t too far away from me. You can go and see a decent match for a fiver and there’s a good clubhouse and bar. West and their fans do a lot for the local community.

If you go past the Jockey and the Bowlers and towards the water park, the ground is there near the bridge to Jackson’s Boat.

They used to be AFC West Didsbury but added the Chorlton bit when they moved ground.

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

Just really surprised they have a joint team. They  are not even that close. Play on the Barlow Moor Rd pitches?

They don't play on the Barlow moor pitches, the ground is even further from Didsbury than that.

Didsbury is such a sellable name (although in my opinion it is mostly full of to$$ers) that the space between Chorlton and Disbury has been pretty much completely taken over by 'West Didsbury'. So yes, Chorlton is almost as far away from Didsbury as Vale Park is from the incinerator, but there is an estate agent creation of West Didsbury in between.

The club is most definitely Chorlton now it is at its splendid little ground next to the fancy residents of Chorltonville but it keeps its old name, and thats a good thing as it the name works perfectly to the tune of Seven Nations Army....

Closer to home, Hanley Town will go five points clear tonight if they win their game against Wolverhampton Casuals, though the team behind them (Lichfield City) will have a game in hand. They have four or five ex-Vale players in their squad, including the great Louis Dodds, so it would be good to see them go up, which would be the Northern Premier Division One Midlands. Nose bleed territory for them, Step 8!

13 hours ago, manc_vale said:

They don't play on the Barlow moor pitches, the ground is even further from Didsbury than that.

Didsbury is such a sellable name (although in my opinion it is mostly full of to$$ers) that the space between Chorlton and Disbury has been pretty much completely taken over by 'West Didsbury'. So yes, Chorlton is almost as far away from Didsbury as Vale Park is from the incinerator, but there is an estate agent creation of West Didsbury in between.

The club is most definitely Chorlton now it is at its splendid little ground next to the fancy residents of Chorltonville but it keeps its old name, and thats a good thing as it the name works perfectly to the tune of Seven Nations Army....

Thanks for the info mate. I had a really happy time living their (Claude Rd) for many years.  I think that was almost "Cholrtonville", or was that the bit down the end of the street past the laundrette where the pub was with the bar billiards? 

It was a very happy time for me. We lived next door to the Waltones and opposite the Roses. Lovely place happiest days of my life. And I met my wife...

Used to take a walk down to the Mersey nature reserve just down the end of the road. And watch the newts in  the ponds. Pass time. 

It was lovely to be honest. But all mixed up with love Madchester drugs blah blah gun crime which was rife. Almost got my head blown off in a hit in Chorlton.  Had to dive over a wall. 

Mate of mine got stabbed in that pub on the border of Chorlton/Whaley range over ten p game of pool.

Crazy times. But I loved the place.

I see you've got a couple of team local to me in that league in Ellesmere & St Martins.  St. Martins really are a village club in every sense done well to get as high as they have it's a tiny place, and they have to play at one of the pitches at TNS ground in Oswestry as their own "ground" was barely better than Shropshire league standard. 

Ellesmere are a decent little outfit been to their ground 2 or 3 times but seem to underachieve a little in recent years, I think they've moved from the defunct west mids league pretty recently to NWCs?

15 hours ago, toyahw said:

Thanks for the info mate. I had a really happy time living their (Claude Rd) for many years.  I think that was almost "Cholrtonville", or was that the bit down the end of the street past the laundrette where the pub was with the bar billiards? 

It was a very happy time for me. We lived next door to the Waltones and opposite the Roses. Lovely place happiest days of my life. And I met my wife...

Used to take a walk down to the Mersey nature reserve just down the end of the road. And watch the newts in  the ponds. Pass time. 

It was lovely to be honest. But all mixed up with love Madchester drugs blah blah gun crime which was rife. Almost got my head blown off in a hit in Chorlton.  Had to dive over a wall. 

Mate of mine got stabbed in that pub on the border of Chorlton/Whaley range over ten p game of pool.

Crazy times. But I loved the place.

Claude Road! Different times, but so close to me! Claude road is the main way into Chorltonville, so if you lived in the terraces, you were not ChorltonVille, but if you lived further down in the lovely big white fronted houses with gardens etc then you are definately in the posh bit. WDAC (west Didsbury and Chorton) are at the end of Claude Road as you drop into the meadows..I'm sure you will have walked past where the ground now is when you used to be here. Lovely ground to watch football with a beer whilst watching the sun go down over the Mersey. 

The pub on the Chorlton border that you speak of could be one of three which have all now gone, but a mate of mine used to serve in one of them and he has some stories, so your pool story is probably one of many grizzly tales from those places. Hope they recovered.

4 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I see that Macc and Bury are top of their respective leagues. In this league NWCL Isle of Man had and attendance of 2,000

Crazy attendences, whilst at the other end of the scale you have the plucky village teams done well like St Martins who do well to get 75 fans (not including pets)

Isle of Man entered this league at the beginning of last season, which is most unfortunate timing! Didn't manage to play a single game due to Covid and some problem with their home ground.

2 hours ago, manc_vale said:

Crazy attendences, whilst at the other end of the scale you have the plucky village teams done well like St Martins who do well to get 75 fans (not including pets)

Isle of Man entered this league at the beginning of last season, which is most unfortunate timing! Didn't manage to play a single game due to Covid and some problem with their home ground.

MV, (not including pets) a friend of mine went to watch Alsager v Halifax last night and took his dog. With regard to attendances a tad of topic Notts County v Solihull at the weekend an attendance of 13,000. 

• 4 months later...

Archived