onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Big Jamie Proctor

Beech

Advert

13 hours ago, Beech said:

After signing the likes of Benning and Pett at the start of the season, if someone told me that Proctor and Garrity would look the best of our summer signings after ten games I would have told them to seek help.

tbf Jones looks the best but he was also considered a 2nd tierer 

On 04/10/2021 at 19:19, Beech said:

After signing the likes of Benning and Pett at the start of the season, if someone told me that Proctor and Garrity would look the best of our summer signings after ten games I would have told them to seek help.

I ve always thought it was a great signing ... Hopefully he can keep going and remain injury free.... heres what I posted before Northampton game.

"Lots of unknowns for a lot of clubs with a large turnover of players. MAybe steady Eddie approach of Northampton will pay off who knows.

hard to predict a team with hardly seeing the new players but what I would comment is:

Proctor too good a player to leave out of the starting 11

DC likes to play two central strikers: my guess is Proctor and Wilson to start."

1 hour ago, Bob Newtonian said:

I ve always thought it was a great signing ... Hopefully he can keep going and remain injury free.... heres what I posted before Northampton game.

"Lots of unknowns for a lot of clubs with a large turnover of players. MAybe steady Eddie approach of Northampton will pay off who knows.

hard to predict a team with hardly seeing the new players but what I would comment is:

DC likes to play two central strikers: my guess is Proctor and Wilson to start."

But they didn't start in the game you predicted !! 

Sorry just messing. 

Proctor is currently undroppable. In fact that applies to all the team. If they have the shirt and keep the same standard up why change for change sake . 

33 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

But they didn't start in the game you predicted !! 

Sorry just messing. 

Proctor is currently undroppable. In fact that applies to all the team. If they have the shirt and keep the same standard up why change for change sake . 

Fair cop 🙂

I think we have a strong squad.... lots can go wrong throughout the season but i just get the (nice) feeling that the current management team can navigate us back on track after a setback without going on a 4 or 5 game run without a win.

Just now, Bob Newtonian said:

Fair cop 🙂

I think we have a strong squad.... lots can go wrong throughout the season but i just get the (nice) feeling that the current management team can navigate us back on track after a setback without going on a 4 or 5 game run without a win.

Agree completely. People got feathers ruffled early doors when we couldn't score and yes I was at Stevenage for that abysmal first half display. 

But we were playing better than our results suggested at the time 

I don't think the mindset of the players is fragile and weak any more , seem more backbone about the whole place.

What happened after Kings Lynn and Tranmere will remain a mystery but I agree with you that this squad has more bouncebackability !

Fair cop
That's the key isn't it. We will lose again this season, more than once, but so long as we follow up every defeat with a draw or a win, unlike previous seasons, we'll be fine

23 minutes ago, philmpv said:
34 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:
Fair cop emoji846.png

That's the key isn't it. We will lose again this season, more than once, but so long as we follow up every defeat with a draw or a win, unlike previous seasons, we'll be fine

This is exactly it, the outstanding response since Rochdale suggests just this. Could have really knocked us given the nature of the defeat, deservedly losing after playing such fantastic football and being so dominant for the first quarter, would shake the belief of lesser teams (including ours last year).

Agree with everything said here re the outstanding Proctor, including the fact that we'd really miss him if he was out, but then it's a deliberate policy to have strikers each offering something different, to complement each other, pick different kinds of defensive lock. I wonder if he was out would we be more likely to go 3 up top with emphasis more on short passes and pace, two wide attackers either side of Wilson playing a Harry Kane type role, dropping deep to affect the play and bring others in (which he's more than capable of)?

Good options to have either way, and finally a good squad to enact them. 

3 hours ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Then it was a good shout! Clearly he has ability as he's played higher up. But admittedly I did look at his goals record and didn't expect him to hit more than 7 or 8 this season. I thought we would be reliant on Wilson and Rodney. But Proctor isn't far from that total already! He has a lot of Pope's strengths but is a bit more mobile than Tom was over the last few years. Not as good a finisher though. 

40 minutes ago, Clayts said:

This is exactly it, the outstanding response since Rochdale suggests just this. Could have really knocked us given the nature of the defeat, deservedly losing after playing such fantastic football and being so dominant for the first quarter, would shake the belief of lesser teams (including ours last year).

Agree with everything said here re the outstanding Proctor, including the fact that we'd really miss him if he was out, but then it's a deliberate policy to have strikers each offering something different, to complement each other, pick different kinds of defensive lock. I wonder if he was out would we be more likely to go 3 up top with emphasis more on short passes and pace, two wide attackers either side of Wilson playing a Harry Kane type role, dropping deep to affect the play and bring others in (which he's more than capable of)?

Good options to have either way, and finally a good squad to enact them. 

Wow fair play you re giving it some in depth analysis. For what it’s worth I think it will take at least 2-3 bad results and a few injuries for DC to change from 5-3-2… i think he may be plotting to have Denis as a right sided central attacker  in the two up front in the case of injuries..,,

Seems to me that both Proctor and Wilson have been in and out of teams for quite some time, which can't be good for confidence or match fitness.  Wilson had only started 66 games before joining us, which probably equates to about 8 games a season. 

So, to be playing regularly, scoring a few and the team doing well, one suspects they will thrive and only get better as the season goes on. 

On 07/10/2021 at 17:38, Bob Newtonian said:

Wow fair play you re giving it some in depth analysis. For what it’s worth I think it will take at least 2-3 bad results and a few injuries for DC to change from 5-3-2… i think he may be plotting to have Denis as a right sided central attacker  in the two up front in the case of injuries..,,

It's a fair cop, I overthink things at the best of times, so given a week stuck in the house, this is what happens! 😄

I'm not sure we should rigidly stick to 3-5-2 tho, as a large part of its strength the last few games has been the partnership up front, with Garrity's energy behind them.

Today, if Wilson and Garrity are both out, I think there is an argument that we should go 3-4-3, to get the most out of what we have available, as well as taking account of Sutton's 4-4-2 and strength down the flanks (using two of Politic/Amoo/Rodney to keep their full backs pushed back). We also don't lose out centrally, since Pett and Conlon (with Taylor and Walker as replacements on the bench) are a match for any midfield two in this division. 

If Wilson is fine and it's just Garrity out, then fair enough, keep the partnership up front rolling and go like-for-like with Taylor in and aim to dominate the middle of the park, but when you've got a squad and manager who are tactically flexible, why not use that flexibility to our advantage?

Archived