Match Thread: FLT G2 Port Vale v Rochdale

Fosse69

Advert:

A thoroughly entertaining game with Rochdale playing their part. Abysmal conditions but the 1700 plus there didn't mind. Young lad Jones looks a find. Politic is slowly confirming  he is a danger. 10 grand banked, fans happy, the Vale steamroller bounds on. Conner wait for Saturday. 

• Like 1

Decent game in shocking conditions. Thought Jake Taylor did very well especially after being booked in the first minute of the game. There was times 2nd half when he was controlling the flow of the game & played a couple of delightful slide rule balls in behind the full back. Young lad Jones was steady, a decent debut. Cass also did well after coming on at half time. Unbelievable challenge when last man last 15 mins.

Couple of disappointing performances, Johnson looked poor at centre half. Misjudged about 4 or 5 long balls/goal kicks & just headed thin air. Also misplaced a few through balls. I'm still waiting for Benning to do something as well. Should have scored from a yard out 2nd half when Amoo stuck it on plate & just thought his overall game was very average. Never seems to maroude forward like Gibbo. Just runs a few yards then checks back every single time. He adds nothing.

5 wins on the spin in all competitions & 6 from 7. Great time to be a Vale fan. Looking forward to a big game on Saturday!

Edited by ValeForever.
  • Like 1

Guest Vale at home
3 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Had my ticket but come down with a bad cold. Was concerned in case it was  something more serious but wife informs me I'm ok as its not man flu.

Get well soon . And come down to the vale . That will make you feel better. 

Advert:

Decent game in shocking conditions. Thought Jake Taylor did very well especially after being booked in the first minute of the game. There was times 2nd half when he was controlling the flow of the game & played a couple of delightful slide rule balls in behind the full back. Young lad Jones was steady, a decent debut. Cass also did well after coming on at half time. Unbelievable challenge when last man last 15 mins.
Couple of disappointing performances, Johnson looked poor at centre half. Misjudged about 4 or 5 long balls/goal kicks & just headed thin air. Also misplaced a few through balls. I'm still waiting for Benning to do something as well. Should have scored from a yard out 2nd half when Amoo stuck it on plate & just thought his overall game was very average. Never seems to maroude forward like Gibbo. Just runs a few yards then checks back every single time. He adds nothing.
5 wins on the spin in all competitions & 6 from 7. Great time to be a Vale fan. Looking forward to a big game on Saturday!
Funny how 2 people can watch the same game and see things completely opposite to one another. I thought Johnson played well personally. Always looking for a pass out from the back and rarely misplaced it. Also made a goal saving challenge
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:
11 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

Funny how 2 people can watch the same game and see things completely opposite to one another. I thought Johnson played well personally. Always looking for a pass out from the back and rarely misplaced it. Also made a goal saving challenge

He won absolutely nothing in the air & more worryingly was missing the flight of the ball completely. Some tidy passes across the back 3 but he didn't impress me tonight. Conditions won't have helped with rain & swirling wind but he didn't stake a claim for me. Glad he got 90 minutes though which can only help him.

He won absolutely nothing in the air & more worryingly was missing the flight of the ball completely. Some tidy passes across the back 3 but he didn't impress me tonight. Conditions won't have helped with rain & swirling wind but he didn't stake a claim for me. Glad he got 90 minutes though which can only help him.
Johnson had a good game
  • Like 3

That was the most appalling weather I've seen at Vale for ages.  When we left the car to get into the ground the area around the gate through from the Synectics car park was deep under water.  Had to paddle through it so spent the game with wet feet!  I was impressed that both teams did their best to play proper football in those conditions - no hoofing it.  Vale were the better team and had the better chances but I felt sorry for those 52 Rochdale fans at the end.

• Like 3

Advert:

I thought Hurst had the beating of their full backs but his final ball was inconsistent.

Johnson had an ok game but was not outstanding. Our aerial threat was generally weak.

Amoo frustrates me with his finishing and some of his decision making.

Taylor was good overall. Lloyd will need to develop more. 
Politic, in and out of the game.

Overall, treacherous conditions, another win, money banked and confidence stays high.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

I thought Johnson had a poor game for the same reasons, also his distribution was not good, Credit to the guy though for the tremendous challenge in the box that thwarted what looked like a clear chance. I'll give the guy a pass though for tonight 'cause they looked awful conditions in which to judge the flight of the ball.

Agree on Jake Taylor to, most of the quality play went through him and he produced some lovely passes, one through ball into the box to create a chance was sublime. Always made himself available and motioning to colleagues where to pass the ball, can't tell on iFollow if he's verbal or not.

Edited by Paul6754
  • Like 1

Advert:

11 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

That was the most appalling weather I've seen at Vale for ages.  When we left the car to get into the ground the area around the gate through from the Synectics car park was deep under water.  Had to paddle through it so spent the game with wet feet!  I was impressed that both teams did their best to play proper football in those conditions - no hoofing it.  Vale were the better team and had the better chances but I felt sorry for those 52 Rochdale fans at the end.

This happened to me, just the one foot though thankfully but an atrocious night of weather, the pitch held up well and I did think heading towards the ground that it could be called off.

Hard game to judge considering how bad the conditions were but Stone stood out when needed. Made a great save with Cass doing his best to get back. There was a couple of times when Amoo put the ball in the box across the floor cutting it back to 8 yards out and there was nobody there, different to Saturday and I think that is what was missing, wasn't so much the final ball (I read that Clarke has them training putting the ball in areas in the box across the floor without looking to see if players are there), it was the player placement in the box but again, with the heavy rain and wind, it was a tough night to navigate.

As much as people see the games as a bit pointless they can offer a nice cash injection for the club and as crazy as you think we are for going last night, spare a thought for the Rochdale fans who made the trip. Absolute bonkers, what's more dedicated than die hard? Fair play to them.

Quite an enjoyable game with a positive result.

bit concerned how easily Rochdale forwards found space in our defensive line to get so many one on ones in the second half but apart from that a good run out with Vale mostly on top. 

A good win and in any trophy a win keeps the confidence high and 6 wins in 7 and 5 on the spin is nothing to be sniffed at.

We got so many crosses in, had Proctor or Wilson played we'd have probably hit 4 or 5 but the experience lacking in our forward line often meant gambles on runs and positioning were not taken.

Johnson I thought did well tonight, best game in a Vale top, Politic looks to have real quality on the ball and works very hard for the team... will be difficult to keep him out the league side. Hurst I thought played well as did Taylor.

Impressive by Jones when he came on too, really got stuck into them and love Amos, his interviews are exactly what you want to hear from a player and seems genuine so hope he gets more chances and takes them, played well.

Benning I still am not sold on so far. Missed a tap in and just doesn't seem at the levels we expect, we know he clearly has the ability but be it confidence or form I hope he can up it.

• Like 3