Ten games

So here we are, 10 games in which is the first checkpoint of most reasonable fans.

3rd in the league, having beaten 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th.

We are really starting to build momentum and the new players are starting to really click with 5 wins in the last 6.

Resounding success so far.

Trust the matrix, Trust the Pruhcess… UTV!

4B668F89-DEFF-4493-A9A5-8815B79E44BD.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

After 10 league games what are peoples views on the squad, the backroom staff and the club in general. I actually think we are much improved in all areas. Still a long way to go but we have set a standard to work to and given all us fans hope for the future.

There’s little doubt the players in arguably every department are  better than recent years, we can even bring players off the bench now who are likely to make some difference.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mbycars said:

After 10 league games what are peoples views on the squad, the backroom staff and the club in general. I actually think we are much improved in all areas. Still a long way to go but we have set a standard to work to and given all us fans hope for the future.

The squad is absolutely miles better . That's already been proved .

Walker missing a few games, expected nailed on starter . Garrity has come in and been immense. 

Legge despite only playing 3 or 4 proved he was a more than adequate player and he wasn't expecting much game time .

Add in the fact recovering from injury Taylor, Amoo and Politic showed their worth today. And let's not forget Mr Rodney has been missing. 

Anyone who doesn't think that the majority ( not all ) of the players are an upgrade on last season are looped . 

And by saying not all really are we writing off say Benning , Martin and Johnson. I certainly aren't. 

• Like 6

In all honesty enjoying the ride. Still think wozza is in the wrong position but you can't grumble at the moment. We actually look like a top of the table team. Lots of fun to come but I'm an older valiant and will hopefully see us move out of this division anyway anyhow. A title would be magnificent but at least you can see a glimpse of it after today

47 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

And by saying not all really are we writing off say Benning , Martin and Johnson. I certainly aren't. 

Nope, me neither. Martin and Benning both proven at this level, so still expect them to come good and contribute at some point this season, and Johnson has all the attributes to be a good LCB, just some rough edges to knock off. Some signings for whatever reason just take more time than others to settle, still plenty of time for these three to come good. And even if it just so happens to not work out at Vale for these three, it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad players or bad signings, that's just the way it goes sometimes, despite the best efforts of all parties involved.

• Like 1

Been unable to get to Vale, till today, this was a roll back the years match, thoroughly enjoyable, feared the worse when we went behind, we let them control everything up to then. Disagree with previous comment made about Covolan, thought he was commanding, and his distribution was excellent. We do seem to setup a little negatively, you can see how it suits us away. Hopefully Politic is a real find. Keep it going Vale.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Am a little confused rob, is that 20 games now then?

No because the table shows us 3rd, not 10 points clear.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

There’s little doubt the players in arguably every department are  better than recent years, we can even bring players off the bench now who are likely to make some difference.

In all seriousness, we now could put a bench and reserve team together that could beat the best starting 11 from last season.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

The squad is absolutely miles better . That's already been proved .

Walker missing a few games, expected nailed on starter . Garrity has come in and been immense. 

Legge despite only playing 3 or 4 proved he was a more than adequate player and he wasn't expecting much game time .

Add in the fact recovering from injury Taylor, Amoo and Politic showed their worth today. And let's not forget Mr Rodney has been missing. 

Anyone who doesn't think that the majority ( not all ) of the players are an upgrade on last season are looped . 

Those 3 are quality at this level and haven’t lost it since signing for us. If they had been playing every game they’d have gained confidence and grown in the roles by now, but the other players are also quality and have kept them out.

Hopefully no injuries going forward, but if they suddenly had to play I’d be expecting them to step up and I’m sure they would.

Edited by 1

We are no longer relying on one or two star players, we have quality all over the pitch. 

Covolan - finally a goalkeeper who comes and takes crosses. Takes the pressure off the defence. Of cause he will drop a clanger every now and then, he is playing for Vale not Man City.

Cass, Smith, Jones, - get better every game. Kept an horrible 6’5” bully quiet for most of the game.

Worrall, Gibbo - both getting into the wing back role as good as anyone we have previously had.

Conlon, Pett, Garrity - best midfield three we have had for years. Have energy, vision and TC / BG always a goal in them.

Wilson & Porter - still early days but a great partnership in the making. All good sides have striking partnerships.

We conceded two soft goals today but generally I am expecting the defence to be hard to breach every time they come out and the football we are playing has goals all over it once we can up the conversion rate. 
If we can get Wilson 100% fit there are goals to come. Porter has missed an hatful of chances, but 10 games in he has 5 league goals….that’s a 20 goal a season striker.

When injuries / suspensions come around we have the likes of Legge, Benning, Martin, Walker, Polotic, Rodney, Lloyd to back up…all of whom would have walked into last seasons team.

I honestly believe we have something in the making and long may it last.

• Like 1

Just now, 1 said:

Those 3 are quality at this level and haven’t lost it since signing for us. If they had been playing every game they’d have gained confidence and grown in the roles by now, but the other players are also quality and have kept them out.

Hopefully no injuries going forward, but if they suddenly had to play I’d be expecting them to step up and I’m sure they would.

That's what I was saying. No way are they written off on a few games. 

I don't think I'm unhappy with any of the signings as such. Maybe expected Benning to be the new Darren Hughes rampaging up the wing but even an average Benning is better than what we had . 

I've only missed Scunny so far due to being in hospital so I saw Martin put in an excellent performance at FGR , he's no Muppet. 

Johnson had a ropey start but we can't judge him at all yet properly. 

• Like 1

Positives

- 3rd in the table! Not a bad place to be considering Clarke said we'll only get better as the season goes on!

- Squad depth. For the first time in a long while, we actually have players who can come on and make a difference, as they did today. That will only get even stronger to once we get the likes of Legge and Walker back.

- More to come from certain individuals, the likes of Benning and Rodney. We know what Benning can do as he's done it year after year in League Two. We all know what Rodney can do as he did extremely well at times last season. He just needs one to go in off his arse and he'll be a different player for us again I think.

- Wilson and Proctor. I wouldn't describe either of them as prolific or goal-poachers, but they look a very good combination. Wilson came with a bit of a reputation after spending time with United, but Proctor has surprised me the most, and long may it continue.

- Darrell Clarke. Our best manager since Adams, and he may even surpass him down the line. I love his honesty and his work ethic. He won't always get it right, and sometimes I think he leaves his subs a little too late which can be frustrating. But what a job he's done so far. Everyone needs to continue to back him when we lose a couple on the bounce at some point, no matter how truly pissed off we'll be. (as I was 5 minutes before the end today!)

• Like 2

We’ve been getting better week on week and we look a top side now at this level.

Similar position to this point last season which maybe burnt the optimism a bit but it does feel a bit different this time…

Manager is better, has the balls to change it or tweak it rather than the rigid system if it isn’t working.

Squad depth is better, let’s look at it this way, Politic, Amoo, Rodney, Benning all struggling for game time… that quality waiting in the wings, Walker to come back.

Balanced, we have options for every position and tweak, players like Amoo and Polotic if we needed to revert to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

Some of the unexpected success stories… Garrity has been immense… Proctor seemed a meh signing on paper with a poor goal record but has been scoring, Jones as back up to Benning but has made it his own.

Lessons learnt? Covolan looked shakey but credit to him, he’s learnt

Character… this team will fight to the end, even with set backs like today and Swindon we’ve pulled through and found ways to win, ground out results if we’ve had to.

Improved game management… hate it when teams do it to nice Port Vale… finally the penny has dropped and we do the same back! It’s not nice but if you don’t do it your at a disadvantage.

We’ve beaten the other four sides in the top 5… of the 6 games combined those other sides have lost 4 of those we inflicted. In those games you could easily say Vale looked the better side with the better quality in key areas, Test will be against the lesser sides who sit in. Always Vale’s Achilles heel, if we can master that and make our quality tell we will be up there.

• Like 1