onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ten games

Iron Curtain

Positives

- 3rd in the table! Not a bad place to be considering Clarke said we'll only get better as the season goes on!

- Squad depth. For the first time in a long while, we actually have players who can come on and make a difference, as they did today. That will only get even stronger to once we get the likes of Legge and Walker back.

- More to come from certain individuals, the likes of Benning and Rodney. We know what Benning can do as he's done it year after year in League Two. We all know what Rodney can do as he did extremely well at times last season. He just needs one to go in off his arse and he'll be a different player for us again I think.

- Wilson and Proctor. I wouldn't describe either of them as prolific or goal-poachers, but they look a very good combination. Wilson came with a bit of a reputation after spending time with United, but Proctor has surprised me the most, and long may it continue.

- Darrell Clarke. Our best manager since Adams, and he may even surpass him down the line. I love his honesty and his work ethic. He won't always get it right, and sometimes I think he leaves his subs a little too late which can be frustrating. But what a job he's done so far. Everyone needs to continue to back him when we lose a couple on the bounce at some point, no matter how truly pissed off we'll be. (as I was 5 minutes before the end today!)

Advert

We’ve been getting better week on week and we look a top side now at this level.

Similar position to this point last season which maybe burnt the optimism a bit but it does feel a bit different this time…

Manager is better, has the balls to change it or tweak it rather than the rigid system if it isn’t working.

Squad depth is better, let’s look at it this way, Politic, Amoo, Rodney, Benning all struggling for game time… that quality waiting in the wings, Walker to come back.

Balanced, we have options for every position and tweak, players like Amoo and Polotic if we needed to revert to a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

Some of the unexpected success stories… Garrity has been immense… Proctor seemed a meh signing on paper with a poor goal record but has been scoring, Jones as back up to Benning but has made it his own.

Lessons learnt? Covolan looked shakey but credit to him, he’s learnt

Character… this team will fight to the end, even with set backs like today and Swindon we’ve pulled through and found ways to win, ground out results if we’ve had to.

Improved game management… hate it when teams do it to nice Port Vale… finally the penny has dropped and we do the same back! It’s not nice but if you don’t do it your at a disadvantage.

We’ve beaten the other four sides in the top 5… of the 6 games combined those other sides have lost 4 of those we inflicted. In those games you could easily say Vale looked the better side with the better quality in key areas, Test will be against the lesser sides who sit in. Always Vale’s Achilles heel, if we can master that and make our quality tell we will be up there.

18 points from 10 games is a great start. Especially with the fixtures we've had. Just a reminder though, that after 10 games last season, we were on 19 points!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Brilliant win today that will live long in the memory. UTV
Last season, it was the Tranmere game that broke our season.

Great start but last season we were doing this well and the wheels fell off . One game at a time and trust the process.

Last season all the stats suggested we were lucky at the start and that it wasn’t going to last. This season the stats suggest we are outplaying most teams we play and should actually be higher. Hopefully it lasts!

7 hours ago, ValeForever. said:

18 points from 10 games is a great start. Especially with the fixtures we've had. Just a reminder though, that after 10 games last season, we were on 19 points!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Brilliant win today that will live long in the memory. UTV

We then lost the next five on the trot so just need to draw 2 of the next 5 to get ahead again. !!!

I've mentioned "let's see where we are after 10 games" a few times on threads this season.

Trying not to get carried away with wins, and not be too despondent with losses.

But now we've hit 10 games I'm finding it so hard to think we won't be up there at the end of the season!

It's the hope that kills you!

Next x11 League  games......

Sutton [A]

Barrow [H]

Mansfield [A]

Colchester [H]

Crawley  [A]

Bradford [H]

Oldham [A]

Warsaw  [H]

Hartlepool [H]

Bristol R [A]

Newport [A]

Maintain anything LIKE the current form and I can see a great points return v this lot........

1 hour ago, ollyandpatch said:

We then lost the next five on the trot so just need to draw 2 of the next 5 to get ahead again. !!!

We had just won 3 on the spin & then got beat by Kings Lynn in the Cup, which was quickly followed by the Tranmere debacle. Our next win didn't come until the random 6-3 win at Bolton!

Crazy times when you think back. Let's hope we can continue our good form this time around.

Next week will be a real test, Sutton have found their own form along with ourselves & sit in the top 2 in the form table. We have a potential Garrity injury & Wilson looked like he'd picked up a knock as well. Thought Taylor did well when he came on, carried the ball well & looked much fitter. Amoo also did well & caused a nuisance. Special mention though for Politic, thought he looked razor sharp in the 7 mins he was on the pitch!

Hopefully a good run out for those who haven't featured so much on Tuesday night & then a full week to prep for another big game at Sutton.

5 minutes ago, Wrex said:

If this is the slow start that Clarke foreshadowed then this will be a very special season indeed

Oh god I had forgotten how some people lost their marbles because DC said he sometimes started slow 😂😂😂

Someone on here started trying to tell us that it gave the opposition the impetus and our lads would just not try!

baaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

36 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

2 points per game will promote us, we are 2 short at present, FGR have 3 in hand. Check at Xmas.

In a tight league like ours where almost every team is capable of beating every other, it's always less than that. Last time we went up we finished on 78pts. Last two completed seasons 79pts has been enough for automatic. 85pts is the most that's been required for 3rd going back a decade, and it's usually less than that. We're currently on track for 83pts, Cheltenham won the league last year with 82.

First 10-game checkpoint reached, now I look at it as 6 lots of 6 games to go. Get 11pts (3W 2D 1L) from each set of 6 and we'll be up. Looking at the next 12 games, and given our current form, that feels very doable. I would certainly be more than shocked if this squad, under this management, were to only get 3pts from the next 6 games like we did last season. Not saying it can't happen, it just feels really unlikely. 

Also, if it does continue to go well, and at the risk of getting ahead of ourselves, can we all get 'Trust the Pruhcess' t-shirts made for Exeter away?!

Archived