Jump to content

Sentinel: 'Covered in beer' - alcohol plans spark fierce debate among Port Vale fans


News Feed
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm not really understanding the arguments against, which all seem to forget that it's on sale a few yards behind in the concourse.

e.g.

Quote

Home and away regular Rob Rhead is firmly against. He said: "A dreadful idea. Some fans can barely behave as it is so fuelling them up with additional alcohol is a recipe for disaster.

How would it be additional alcohol? What difference does it make if someone slowly sinks a bottle over the course of a 45 minute second half rather than necking it when HT finishes so they can walk back in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People said the same thing when pubs were allowed to open all day there will be drunks in the towns staggering about and swearing but what happened nothing changed . And the same with football it just means that supporters can have a drink while watching the match and it’s nice to have that option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem I would have with it would be that if someone, who potentially could already have had a few jars, just happened to be taking a drink from their plastic glass just as Vale score, there would be a very real chance that their plastic glass and it’s contents would be going up in the air.  Other than that, the thought of me supping a nice Plum Porter as I watch the Mighty Vale smash some tinpot outfit for 6 is very appealing.  Equally, to add balance, the ability to down a double brandy, or 3, as we struggle in vain to draw level with some former non-league minnow, is a very comforting thought indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I guess the issue wouldn't be someone slowly sinking a bottle, more quickly downing several pints.

Which they could easily do this very Saturday against Orient, a few yards from their seat by standing on the concourse. 

18 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

there would be a very real chance that their plastic glass and it’s contents would be going up in the air.

Vale don't let people buy soft drinks without keeping the screw lid. What's the difference between a plastic cup of lager and the current plastic bottles of coke/fanta/etc/open cups of coffee, tea, bovril and hot chocolate currently allowed on the terraces? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Doha said:

Which they could easily do this very Saturday against Orient, a few yards from their seat by standing on the concourse. 

But they don't because they can't take them to their seats or see the game from the concourse. I don't really mind either way but back when I was younger, I'd have definitely caned it at a few games if I could drink in my seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where you sit mate but people are always stood in the open doors at the back of the railway to have a fag/finish their drinks but still see the game through the door.

All this change would do is let people consume the drink they can already purchase and consume but in a slightly different location. If Vale were that arsed about someone getting tanked they could impose buying limits or refuse to serve someone already hammered, like license holders routinely do anyway. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

The problem I would have with it would be that if someone, who potentially could already have had a few jars, just happened to be taking a drink from their plastic glass just as Vale score, there would be a very real chance that their plastic glass and it’s contents would be going up in the air.  Other than that, the thought of me supping a nice Plum Porter as I watch the Mighty Vale smash some tinpot outfit for 6 is very appealing.  Equally, to add balance, the ability to down a double brandy, or 3, as we struggle in vain to draw level with some former non-league minnow, is a very comforting thought indeed.

What situation would you drink a flaming grand marnier in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

I think this sort of thing is the concern. I'm not sure why anyone ever does this but they clearly do.

 


If it helps clubs to take more money and people are respectful, great but there is a saying it only takes one idiot.whats more concerning is some of that going up in the air might not be beer at all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Doha said:

Vale don't let people buy soft drinks without keeping the screw lid. What's the difference between a plastic cup of lager and the current plastic bottles of coke/fanta/etc/open cups of coffee, tea, bovril and hot chocolate currently allowed on the terraces? 

The volume of liquid is different and I would guess folk typically down a cuppa or bottle of pop far quicker than a bottle/pint of beer/lager, but point taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF

×
×
  • Create New...