Jump to content

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

Beaten by Harrogate at home and played a load of do-nothing also-rans. This is their first test against a top 7 side, but it’s not ours and we’ve slapped the heads off some already. They are the underdogs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe announce a deal if your a season ticket holder you can get two adult in for 30 (same applies to away fans etc ).
Pack the park bring along anyone you can and hopefully they got a big encouraging voices .
I'd thinking of the game sat make a few changes freshen it up .
Has Rodney done his 3 yet or his sat his last one ?.
I'd unleash Amoo on them at some point he scored the winner v them 2 seasons ago at home I believe .
Maybe a start for one of centre halfs also believe Smith's got a nasty head wound so no point making it worse so probably Martin to come in only if Smith doesn't make it .
All exciting though and another whole weeks preparations. 
Let's hope we have worked on getting Worrall and Gibbons in on there respective halfs .
Got a feeling J Proctors going get a hat trick for us in a game soon .
I think Garrity will be scoring a home goal soon also because he gets in there he is fast becoming the main man really rate him he is terrific a positive I'm going get in there player, not just get in the 3 sublime finishes at Swindon and Scunthorpe were worthy of winning both games they did the  proofs in the pudding .
How can any Vale supporter not be looking forwards to the games .
If no longer attend go and give them a go and give your hard earned to a club on the up ,good for the area is that both local teams are on the up .
UTV 
Pack the park...Get it trending

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, we could have done with Leon for this one. Orient's centre forward is Harry Smith - 6' 5" with six goals in seven games this season. Not convinced by Martin's aerial ability so far, so it will be interesting to see what changes DC makes, if any. Our best chance will be to stop him getting any chances and closing down any service to him, which usually comes from Theo Archibald their 6'1" right winger - one for Gibbo and Jones methinks. Their other forward is Aaron Drinan who's also 6'1" and so far, think I'm right in saying their front three have scored 12 in 8 games.

Going to be a tough old game - UTV! 

We're facing players of this size every week nowadays.  That said, 6 goals in 7 games is not to be sniffed at.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would much rather have 3 very mobile/comfortable centre halves who know and play this system very well rather than trying to accommodate Leon Legge (when he is fit) because of his height.

We are a decent size team anyway, having Legge back would be a step backwards imo, his ball control/touch was never really great - the guy was trying Cruyff turns (not as graceful as Jonsey) on the halfway line on multiple occasions last season.

I don't even think we need his leadership, probably the first name on the released list come the end of the season.

Bit harsh maybe but our current back line is the future, let Nathan lead and familiarise.

*Expecting a cagey 2-1 win on Saturday UTV

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Yes, we could have done with Leon for this one. Orient's centre forward is Harry Smith - 6' 5" with six goals in seven games this season. Not convinced by Martin's aerial ability so far, so it will be interesting to see what changes DC makes, if any. Our best chance will be to stop him getting any chances and closing down any service to him, which usually comes from Theo Archibald their 6'1" right winger - one for Gibbo and Jones methinks. Their other forward is Aaron Drinan who's also 6'1" and so far, think I'm right in saying their front three have scored 12 in 8 games.

Going to be a tough old game - UTV! 

I suppose the old mantra dont change a winning side applies. But hear what you are saying about their height and would be the game that suited Leons aerial strength. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

I would much rather have 3 very mobile/comfortable centre halves who know and play this system very well rather than trying to accommodate Leon Legge (when he is fit) because of his height.

We are a decent size team anyway, having Legge back would be a step backwards imo, his ball control/touch was never really great - the guy was trying Cruyff turns (not as graceful as Jonsey) on the halfway line on multiple occasions last season.

I don't even think we need his leadership, probably the first name on the released list come the end of the season.

Bit harsh maybe but our current back line is the future, let Nathan lead and familiarise.

*Expecting a cagey 2-1 win on Saturday UTV

We have, including me, dismissed Legge many times and he comes back to show he has something. 
 

He always seems able to hit the ground running and do a good basic job which many others have not been able to do. He won’t make a team much better, but crucially he won’t make it worse either.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

We have, including me, dismissed Legge many times and he comes back to show he has something. 
 

He always seems able to hit the ground running and do a good basic job which many others have not been able to do. He won’t make a team much better, but crucially he won’t make it worse either.  

Nippy mobile striker , not really Leons strength.  Traditional bruiser of a forward then meat and drink to Leon especially if its an aerial battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2021 at 11:50, darren1810 said:

I reckon 6300 . Orient maybe bring 500 ish. 

I would probably estimate the travelling attendance down a bit. It's a long old way to drive what with the current issues getting to petrol stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, robf said:

I would probably estimate the travelling attendance down a bit. It's a long old way to drive what with the current issues getting to petrol stations.

I currently do not have enough petrol for a trip to Burslem  (150 miles return)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2021 at 18:59, 1 said:

Beaten by Harrogate at home and played a load of do-nothing also-rans. This is their first test against a top 7 side, but it’s not ours and we’ve slapped the heads off some already. They are the underdogs.

Wow. They have played Newport,Bradford,Carlisle,Exeter & Salford all teams expected to be in and around top 7 -  hardly do-nothing also rans after 9 games. 

If we had them fixtures we would say what a tough start to the season.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Nippy mobile striker , not really Leons strength.  Traditional bruiser of a forward then meat and drink to Leon especially if its an aerial battle.

Totally agree. He is vulnerable to pace and certainly isn’t irreplaceable. However I would never write him off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with DC on taking it game by game.

I've read a few posts where people might just be starting to get carried away. 

We have a very good squad. How someone with Politic's reputation can't get a game yet should frighten the rest of the league. I wouldn't have minded releasing Amoo last season but, like with Legge, I hold my hand up and say fair play because he's come back extremely fit and raring to go with a class appearance at Bolton. Then there's Rodney who's a rapid battering ram let down by his decision making and situational awareness. Mental attributes like that can be worked on day in day out. 

The likes of Conlon and Worrall would walk into the first teams of any other club in this league with ease. 

Proctor/Wilson has early signs of being a very cohesive partnership. 

But, game by game.

Orient will be a tough test, I rate Kenny Jackett. That big centre forward will cause problems. A win would be a massive marker for the season in the sense that it's game 10 and they're, for now, 2nd place, which we could take. Then it's ours to lose. 

Game by game. Not getting carried away on a high when we win, not losing the plot when we lose or drop points. Methodical game by game until we find ourselves playing number 46 at Exeter. That's how I think DC operates and I think it's the right way to do it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF

    Ale & Vale

    Ale and the Vale podcast

    Barewall

    Barewall Gallery

    Paine Proffitt

    Paine Proffitt

    Alex Steventon Photography

    Alex Steventon Photography

    Action Freeze

    Action Freeze images




×
×
  • Create New...