Record for not making playoffs

Barcroft

8 hours ago, Mellor! said:

Nearly 30 years isn't it? Oldham are the only team off the top of my head that could run us close. Cant think of many playoff games with them in.

14 years for Oldham. 28 years for us.

It's an interesting one. Assuming we count out teams that have spent a lot of time in the Premier League then surely few teams will come close.

13 minutes ago, samspoons said:

Didnt we have the record for having the most points and not getting promoted

I think the year after we lost to West Brom in the final, Reading won the league on the same number of points that saw us in the playoffs.

Obviously we went up anyway so all good.

I've checked all the teams in League Two and Bristol Rovers and Oldham Athletic go back to 2007 whilst out last play-off campaign was 1993. Crawley Town have never taken part in any play-offs but prior to 2003 they played in the Southern League which did not have any play-offs.

For the heck of it I continued with the Championship and Premier League teams. Blackburn were last in the play-offs in 1992 and Newcastle took part in 1990. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Spurs and perhaps surprisingly Southampton have never been in any play-offs.

20 minutes ago, Wrex said:

For the heck of it I continued with the Championship and Premier League teams. Blackburn were last in the play-offs in 1992 and Newcastle took part in 1990. Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Spurs and perhaps surprisingly Southampton have never been in any play-offs.

Arsenal didn`t bother with Play-Offs, they were promoted to Div 1 from 5th in Div2.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, samspoons said:
Didnt we have the record for having the most points and not getting promoted

89 points, then lost to WBA in the PO final

That was the week after we’d won the Autoglass. The game changed when with twenty mins to go Peter Swann was sent off

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

I've checked all the teams in League One and it turns out Cambridge's last play-off campaign was in 1992, a year before ours.

No other club has to go back to the 90s for their last play-off game

Cambridge came up via conference play offs in 2014

49 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Cambridge came up via conference play offs in 2014

Ah yes! Okay so Blackburn Rovers are the only current EFL club to have not had a play-off game after our last one, besides Crawley who've never played one.

3 hours ago, Wrex said:

Southampton were in the 06/07 championship playoffs

They pipped the unwashed, which made me happy.

Sadly, said unwashed gained automatic promotion the season after 😞

• Thanks 1

To be honest a playoff campaign is ultimately a waste of time unless it is successful. 

Some people keep saying getting to the playoffs would be a success this season, but I don’t see it. The success is promotion, losing in the playoffs can often ruin the future momentum for a club, particularly in league 2, where each season seems to bring a new challenger.