Booing your own players.. Political

WV

24 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

they or anyone can say this or that is not a sign of support for this or that, its how it is perceived by individuals... rightly or wrongly.

ie  the swastika,  a good luck charm for a thousand years, until....

I don't understand.  The EFL and Kick it out have both explained above that the knee is a gesture against all discrimination.  That is why the players are doing it irrespective of how other people are interpreting the gesture.  I still don't understand why people would boo the idea of opposing discrimination unless they are deliberately misunderstanding what they are being told about the reason for the gesture.

I very much suspect that those Hungarian fans who booed and demonstrated their stupidity with their actions against the Police at Wembley would have serious problems explaining why they were doing that other than for racist reasons.

they or anyone can say this or that is not a sign of support for this or that, its how it is perceived by individuals... rightly or wrongly.
Anybody can twist anything they like if they want to. You either believe something or you don't want to believe.

Kneeling has been used for thousands of years.

Seems to me that people who want to boo/disagree with the knee are forming links with BLM, Marxism, and Critical Race Theory that the kneelers themselves (Port Vale players) most likely are not advocating/do not share the beliefs of.

If Nathan Smith comes out and announces he's for 'defunding the police' and 'Marx had some good idea', then maybe the booing makes more sense. Until then, it seems like people who enjoy being perpetually wound up by stuff have imposed beliefs/meaning onto a gesture beyond which those performing the gesture meant the gesture to say themselves. The Author is Dead. 

Its all very post-modern, ironically. Roland Barthes lives on in Burslem. 

Edited by Joe B

Football Players: Kneeling means X.

Angry Folk: No, football players. It means Y. Other people who kneel want it to mean Y, so now you do too. We will ignore every other example, including those preceding Y, of people who wanted kneeling to mean X. Only the very specific example of Y can now be used. 

Baffling mental gymnastics over what is a very harmless "we're still sick of racism" gesture.

Edited by Joe B

30 minutes ago, Roy_Of_The_Rovers said:

I'm friends with a few football league players and they've told me that when they kneel they're actually kneeling to support the struggle that Che Guevara and Bobby Sands went through! They also said they wont be wearing a poppy 😡

as has been mentioned (many many times before), they can support who/what they want, but people if so inclined will object... now where are the smilies?

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Seems to me that people who want to boo/disagree with the knee are forming links with BLM, Marxism, and Critical Race Theory that the kneelers themselves (Port Vale players) most likely are not advocating/do not share the beliefs of.

If Nathan Smith comes out and announces he's for 'defunding the police' and 'Marx had some good idea', then maybe the booing makes more sense. Until then, it seems like people who enjoy being perpetually wound up by stuff have imposed beliefs/meaning onto a gesture beyond which those performing the gesture meant the gesture to say themselves. The Author is Dead. 

Its all very post-modern, ironically. Roland Barthes lives on in Burslem. 

so your saying defunding the police and Marx had some good ideas makes booing more sense, how so?

2 hours ago, Fosse69 said:
3 hours ago, Davebrad said:

Anybody can twist anything they like if they want to. You either believe something or you don't want to believe.

and if your view is in a the minority, can you not speak up and protest your difference?... or is this a dictatorship.

8 minutes ago, WV said:

What are you booing exactly?

the act of taking the knee at my visit to the match i'm at, if i wanted a political stance i would go to a political meeting, you might say well turn your back or go outside whilst its been done. But no i;m there to enjoy and hopefully watch the Vale win, not have something i don't believe in being in my face... my only legal recourse is to boo.

Why don't those who want to take the knee go on the car park, or in Burslem park,they would still be showing there support, why on the pitch to a captive audience, who don't all support their action?.

8 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

the act of taking the knee at my visit to the match i'm at, if i wanted a political stance i would go to a political meeting, you might say well turn your back or go outside whilst its been done. But no i;m there to enjoy and hopefully watch the Vale win, not have something i don't believe in being in my face... my only legal recourse is to boo.

Why don't those who want to take the knee go on the car park, or in Burslem park,they would still be showing there support, why on the pitch to a captive audience, who don't all support their action?.

I agree with you 100% mate 

26 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

If you don’t believe in taking the knee then you must believe in discrimination in all its forms?  That’s a bit sad. 

and if your view is in a the minority, can you not speak up and protest your difference?... or is this a dictatorship.
What are you protesting against? Do you protest against Poppy wearers because communist Russians fought along side us?
  • Like 1

Why should a very small minority dictate to a national football demonstration?