Booing your own players.. Political

WV

4 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I’m commenting about football in general. Nothing political about it at all. Beckham was asked one time about what was needed to win a particular match when he was at Man Utd. He said “ If they score one , then we have to score 2”  Of course , with you lot , it’s always America’s fault , and any opportunity to knock this great country is taken. But , as they say in Texas , we could give a rat’s ass. 🤣. Get your own country in order first , before throwing stones. Oops , I just got political. 🤣🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Was Beckham wrong..................100% accurate.

On a lighter note........

Americans only think their country is great....... the people in Britain know, so sure are they they put it in the name...... Great Britain.

Advert:

2 hours ago, WV said:

Trump was asked what is a cure for covid and he said bleach. So much brighter than footballers...Boris said he would shake hands with covid patients...look where it got him. I think the English are much brighter than the yanks. 'Get your own country in order' amazing statement from someone who lives in a country where black people are marginalised and if you are unlucky enough to be ill yoi get a bill that can ruin your life. 

That's one of the funniest posts I've seen for a while. Irony..... the best of British. 

Well today we have seen why footballers are taking the knee before kickoff. Booing this action only fuels the fire of the racist numpties like one of our own so called fans who sent a racist message to the opposition keeper. Disgusting.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ginge said:

Well today we have seen why footballers are taking the knee before kickoff. Booing this action only fuels the fire of the racist numpties like one of our own so called fans who sent a racist message to the opposition keeper. Disgusting.

I didn’t boo but booing the taking the knee does not make you racist and regarding the knob head who sent a racist message to there keeper it’s one person out of 5 and a half thousand people at the match you will always get the odd idiot 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ginge said:

It's a sad fact you can't fix stupid.

You can't stop people being racist, not by taking the knee or throwing them in jail (which I have no objection to). However heavy the punishment the chances are they will still be racist but perhaps slightly less open or vocal about it...... I say perhaps because......

You can't fix stupid.

Advert:

21 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I didn’t boo but booing the taking the knee does not make you racist and regarding the knob head who sent a racist message to there keeper it’s one person out of 5 and a half thousand people at the match

That's still one too many.

What is the point of booing taking the knee.  I don't understand.

13 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That's still one too many.

What is the point of booing taking the knee.  I don't understand.

It is one to many but you will never eradicate it 100% and taking the knee won’t do it we are going to the World Cup in Qatar    which is a very racist country and a homophobic one to so will we pull out of the World Cup because of this I don’t think so we will turn a blind eye to it 

21 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I didn’t boo but booing the taking the knee does not make you racist and regarding the knob head who sent a racist message to there keeper it’s one person out of 5 and a half thousand people at the match you will always get the odd idiot 

Yes but surely you can now understand why footballers choose to kneel?

Is it going to solve racism? Nope.

Does it make it clear to the fans that the players are still unhappy at the racist abuse which seems to exist semi-frequently in football? Yes.

Yesterday. Rashford, Sancho, Saka. Sterling. Glen Kamara. Rashford. It's disgustingly common and it's no wonder players take a knee. They don't think they're solving it; just saying 'this is still happening, and we're reminding you of the fact we've had enough. We're making a unified, quick, simple statement to show this'. How else do they publicly make a statement of their displeasure without striking? 

It prompts conversation and a genuine reflection on what's going on. The lads on here who think they're well clever for saying 'racism still exists, therefore kneeling is pointless' are wildly missing the point. 

To boo the knee, to boo players taking 7 seconds to say 'we're sick of our teammates being racially abused as part of doing their jobs' is absolutely laughable. Mental gymnastics with linking it to Marxism is even more silly (BLM back it, therefore players back BLM! Therefore they want to defund the police! Yeah!). Let them kneel to remind us every week that football players can't go about their profession without their ethnicity being part of it.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

It is one to many but you will never eradicate it 100% and taking the knee won’t do it we are going to the World Cup in Qatar    which is a very racist country and a homophobic one to so will we pull out of the World Cup because of this I don’t think so we will turn a blind eye to it 

Southgate has said that he and his players will address the issue of human rights in Qatar after they have qualified. Some European teams have done so already with players wearing t shirts with slogans on.

You haven’t explained the point of booing taking the knee. 

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Southgate has said that he and his players will address the issue of human rights in Qatar after they have qualified. Some European teams have done so already with players wearing t shirts with slogans on.

It's a false equivalence. I'm sure, if England were to pull out of Qatar, they'd be accused of woke virtue signalling.

Regardless, the decision of the FA to send a squad to Qatar next year has no relevance to the decision of Port Vale players to kneel before a match. A non-argument used to justify the unjustifiable.

Advert:

12 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I don’t boo taking the knee but if people want to in this supposedly democratic country of ours they should be allowed to as the people doing this say it’s a political gesture used by theBLM that started in America  apparently 

The level of mental gymnastics people have to employ to justify the booing of a 7 second kneel is very concerning.

If you think it's pointless, just ignore it. I ignore loads of stuff I think is pointless without having to boo it. You won't catch me red-in-the-face booing brunches.

If you disagree with it, consider what the message the players are trying to send is, then reconsider whether disagreeing with that sentiment is wise. If you're making tenuous links between Orient players kneeling in a game their own keeper got racial abuse in, with 'marxist' groups who have happened to do the same for their issues, then you're inventing a reason to get angry at something, which is very snowflakey and virtue signalling imo.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I don’t boo taking the knee but if people want to in this supposedly democratic country of ours they should be allowed to as the people doing this say it’s a political gesture used by theBLM that started in America  apparently 

Not very democratic if we are ruled by what organisations in the US do.

27 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

And I should be allowed to say they are mad.  Taking the knee as a gesture of protest goes much further back than the BLM movement.  Have a look at Wedgwood's anti-slavery medallion for starters.  The players take the knee not as a political gesture but as a gesture against all forms of discrimination - racism, disrimination against disability, sexism and everything else where people are targetted because they are different.  This has been explained many times by the players.  I can only assume that those who boo the gesture are in favour of discrimination and that's why I think they are mad.

On 03/10/2021 at 17:00, Joe B said:

To boo the knee, to boo players taking 7 seconds to say 'we're sick of our teammates being racially abused as part of doing their jobs' is absolutely laughable. Mental gymnastics with linking it to Marxism is even more silly (BLM back it, therefore players back BLM! Therefore they want to defund the police! Yeah!). Let them kneel to remind us every week that football players can't go about their profession without their ethnicity being part of it.

It's really mental gymnastics to distance it from marxism in my opinion.

The critical race theory movement is explicitly marxist. They all admit to being marxists and it's that ideology which spawned the taking of the knee in this context. I mean it spread to UK football following the murder of a man 4000 miles away, which was successfully prosecuted and according to the lead prosecutor had no evidence of racial intent. How many people actually know that racism wasn't not mentioned by the prosecution once in that trial? How can that be the undeniable truth AND it be used as justification for chaning the game of football, for throwing out the general agreement that football should not be political? Have they ever put the name of any other wannabe political group on the back of all premier league shirts? I don't think so.

The shocking incidents of abuse on saturday should show you how stupid this virtue signalling is. 2 comments made, both unequivocally condemned by every single person I've seen who commented on them. Who exactly is the taking of the knee for? Who benefits from this "conversation"? It's not the 99.99% of people who don't send racist messages, because we already know how abhorrent racial abuse is, and it's not the kid who sent the message, as it didn't stop him, so what is it exactly?

The club had issues a statement within an hour or so, the police had tweeted saying it was under investigation. The EFL highlights show mentioned it before they even showed the highlights of our game. Sky sports ran the story. What more can we do? Take two knees? How about we take a knee at the start of the second half too? That will probably do it.

What I will say is how incredibly brilliant I think Vigouroux's reaction was, simply post the screenshots. He's absolutely mugged that lad off. He's now staring down the barrel of a lengthy ban from vale park, a criminal investigation, all his friends and family know what he's done, could possibly be putting college/job positions at risk. That's how you beat racism, not vacuous gestures and political lies. 

Advert:

10 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

It's really mental gymnastics to distance it from marxism in my opinion.

The critical race theory movement is explicitly marxist. They all admit to being marxists and it's that ideology which spawned the taking of the knee in this context. I mean it spread to UK football following the murder of a man 4000 miles away, which was successfully prosecuted and according to the lead prosecutor had no evidence of racial intent. How many people actually know that racism wasn't not mentioned by the prosecution once in that trial? How can that be the undeniable truth AND it be used as justification for chaning the game of football, for throwing out the general agreement that football should not be political? Have they ever put the name of any other wannabe political group on the back of all premier league shirts? I don't think so.

The shocking incidents of abuse on saturday should show you how stupid this virtue signalling is. 2 comments made, both unequivocally condemned by every single person I've seen who commented on them. Who exactly is the taking of the knee for? Who benefits from this "conversation"? It's not the 99.99% of people who don't send racist messages, because we already know how abhorrent racial abuse is, and it's not the kid who sent the message, as it didn't stop him, so what is it exactly?

The club had issues a statement within an hour or so, the police had tweeted saying it was under investigation. The EFL highlights show mentioned it before they even showed the highlights of our game. Sky sports ran the story. What more can we do? Take two knees? How about we take a knee at the start of the second half too? That will probably do it.

What I will say is how incredibly brilliant I think Vigouroux's reaction was, simply post the screenshots. He's absolutely mugged that lad off. He's now staring down the barrel of a lengthy ban from vale park, a criminal investigation, all his friends and family know what he's done, could possibly be putting college/job positions at risk. That's how you beat racism, not vacuous gestures and political lies. 

It's this outlook that, if it doesn't solve racism in the short-term, it is pointless and shouldn't be done that confuses me. 

You seem to think it's pointless; cool. Do you boo everything you deem pointless? Do you boo wasps? If your only issue with it is a tenuous link to 'Critical Race Theory' and 'it doesn't fix racism', then why boo?

You may have an issue with the origins of the knee, but its difficult to imagine David Worrall and James Gibbons are doing it for that reason. They're Port Vale players, kneeling because racism is still happening in football and they want to show their support for their colleagues. They're not solving racism, no, I agree, but they really don't need to be booed pre-game for it. 

Edited by Joe B

On 30/09/2021 at 00:46, WV said:

Trump was asked what is a cure for covid and he said bleach. So much brighter than footballers...Boris said he would shake hands with covid patients...look where it got him. I think the English are much brighter than the yanks. 'Get your own country in order' amazing statement from someone who lives in a country where black people are marginalised and if you are unlucky enough to be ill yoi get a bill that can ruin your life. 

I think this post sums up nicely how expressly political the ideology of anti-racism has become.

A lie about trump, an irrelevance about Boris, and a line about private health care, in a thread about racism and taking the knee. 

This is why the argument is so ludicrous. When you call EVERYTHING racist, it puts people off, it doesn't encourage meaningful conversation at all. It's counter productive if your aim is actually reducing racism, although I don't believe that this is the aim of this ideology, which is inherently racist itself. 

Case in point - if anyone had the misfortune of watching any of the labour party conference, your take away from that is that your voice is valued less if you are a white man. Overt and obvious literal dictionary definition racism. Multiple times they discouraged people from speaking, or even asked that they use a different process to ask a question, based solely on their skin colour and their gender.

I refer you back to my earlier post in this thread when I said that this ideology is about control, power and impunity. You can't claim to care about stopping racism whilst being racist. It's like they're trying to level the score 1-1 in the racist world cup final when really they should be refusing to play that game. 

This is why I detest any gesture that gets adopted by people who support this kind of racism. Although I recognise that many people including many players won't know this context and so that it may simply be an expression of support for anti-racism generally.