Booing your own players.. Political

WV

16 minutes ago, Northern Valiant said:

Personally, I stand up and applaud the players when they take the knee as a show of support to them for trying to make a positive difference to society.  I cannot understand the booing but each to their own.

It's democracy in action, plain and simple,have the strength to applaud when others boo.

Advert:

On 24/09/2021 at 13:33, WV said:

Calling someone braindead who boos his own team before kick off because he doesn't agree with standing against racism isn't a personal insult. Its a fact. Censor those that want to support their team over a guy who boos our team and is proud of it. Only at OVF!

There were a number of reported posts sent to Admin.  We are obliged to review them and act  to run inline  with OVF rules.  The reported posts are under review.  It's my own opinion that calling someone braindead IS and personal insult and is NOT a fact. That's just my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other mods.   

Advert:

It's clearly wrong to boo your own players (unless they're not putting a shift in).

If you want to boo virtue signalling gesture politics at a sporting event you've paid money to attend then that's fine. I prefer to turn my back on pathetic knee taking. Any fight against racism is a generational thing, and making distinctions of any sort based on the colour of someones skin re-enforces differences that should not matter.  As such, taking the knee is an intrinsically racist act. I choose not to applaud racism, and definitely do not object to people booing racism enacted by footballers in taking the knee.

Will racists all of a sudden stop being racist as a result of knee taking? The answer is no, so what exactly is the point? "Awareness" only breeds more racists. We need to bring up our kids as colourblind, not having them ask at a young age what their footballing heros on the pitch are doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caz or caz123 said:

There were a number of reported posts sent to Admin.  We are obliged to review them and act  to run inline  with OVF rules.  The reported posts are under review.  It's my own opinion that calling someone braindead IS and personal insult and is NOT a fact. That's just my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other mods.   

Of course it is a personal insult. Someone braindead is only kept alive on a machine and is incapable of breathing never mind thought processes.

Advert:

Depends who it's directed at. For some, it may actually be seem as a step up on their actual intelligence and so a complement

Call me crazy but I don't think bullying people into accepting vacuous virtue signalling gestures is not progress. It's the opposite.

It's not really about racism. No one can seriously tell me that PVFC and Harrogate players taking a knee does ANYTHING at all to combat racism can they? And then one step away from that, that whether or not some fans boo or more fans clap has anything to do with it, and then one step further, whether it's therefore acceptable to personally abuse people on a forum despite knowing that personal abuse is explicitly against the rules of the forum. 

It's not about racism, it never is, despite them always trying to claim it is. If you can claim racism you can claim that you are anti-racism, if you are anti-racist you can claim that you are right and therefore demand compliance and/or impunity. Look at the other thread as an example. The argument in that thread was....We should be allowed to personally abuse a poster, contrary to the rules that we all agreed with, because, despite them not actually saying or acting in anyway that can be described as racist, I am interpreting their opinion as that which a racist person would hold, and therefore I'm either justified in breaking the rules, or, the rules don't protect them.

And again, all the poster did was say that he didn't agree with the gesture of taking a knee. There was no discrimination based on race, nothing at all. 

It's quite a silly argument to demand the right to protest whilst simultaneously attacking people who want to protest another view. If this was about equality, they wouldn't think that. If it was about tolerance, they wouldn't think that. But it isn't, so they don't.

And I'm not having a go at most of you. It's perfectly acceptable to support protests and I assume that most people are decent and abhorred by racism. But the taking of the knee doesn't stand up to even basic scrutiny. It really is a joke. 

If there were some way to magically prove that footballers taking a knee was actually reducing the net number of racists in society, I would support it. Would any of you lot still support it if the same magic test could prove that it was actually creating more racists?

• Like 1

• Fosse69 changed the title to Booing your own players.. Political
37 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Call me crazy but I don't think bullying people into accepting vacuous virtue signalling gestures is not progress. It's the opposite.

It's not really about racism. No one can seriously tell me that PVFC and Harrogate players taking a knee does ANYTHING at all to combat racism can they? And then one step away from that, that whether or not some fans boo or more fans clap has anything to do with it, and then one step further, whether it's therefore acceptable to personally abuse people on a forum despite knowing that personal abuse is explicitly against the rules of the forum. 

It's not about racism, it never is, despite them always trying to claim it is. If you can claim racism you can claim that you are anti-racism, if you are anti-racist you can claim that you are right and therefore demand compliance and/or impunity. Look at the other thread as an example. The argument in that thread was....We should be allowed to personally abuse a poster, contrary to the rules that we all agreed with, because, despite them not actually saying or acting in anyway that can be described as racist, I am interpreting their opinion as that which a racist person would hold, and therefore I'm either justified in breaking the rules, or, the rules don't protect them.

And again, all the poster did was say that he didn't agree with the gesture of taking a knee. There was no discrimination based on race, nothing at all. 

It's quite a silly argument to demand the right to protest whilst simultaneously attacking people who want to protest another view. If this was about equality, they wouldn't think that. If it was about tolerance, they wouldn't think that. But it isn't, so they don't.

And I'm not having a go at most of you. It's perfectly acceptable to support protests and I assume that most people are decent and abhorred by racism. But the taking of the knee doesn't stand up to even basic scrutiny. It really is a joke. 

If there were some way to magically prove that footballers taking a knee was actually reducing the net number of racists in society, I would support it. Would any of you lot still support it if the same magic test could prove that it was actually creating more racists?

Never thought I would agree with RB but he is totally right 

On 25/09/2021 at 19:07, Davebrad said:

And i.m not condoning what happened but he was a big powerful man who if he had wanted could have caused a lot of damage. Who in the US could well have been armed aswell...

But he didn't want to and he wasn't. 

Also, taking the knee is not simply a gesture against racism - it is directed against discrimination in all its forms as has been explained many times.  It is not just about racial prejudice it is about prejudice against disability, sexual prejudice and everything else where people are targetted because they are "different".  If you want to see an example of players putting this into action have a look at this video of Fulham players celebrating their goal with a young lad who had suffered appalling online abuse because he has cerebral palsy.

• Like 3

Advert:

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

The taking of the knee originates with NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who has made millions from it. He’s lucky , because he can’t play worth a ****. When he jumped off the cliff , the rest of the sheep followed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Houston Valiant said:

The taking of the knee originates with NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who has made millions from it. He’s lucky , because he can’t play worth a ****. When he jumped off the cliff , the rest of the sheep followed. 

Martin Luther KIng "took the knee" decades before Kaepernick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Of course it is a personal insult. Someone braindead is only kept alive on a machine and is incapable of breathing never mind thought processes.

Exactly…..not a pleasant comment at anyone who may have someone close to them in that position