onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nearly Men feature - detective work needed

robf

I found a story on Chris Burns and I am opening this one up to all you amateur detectives of the 1990s to get to the bottom of it.

The story is here - 

The salient points are - 

• Burns says he was set to join Vale in a swap deal for Ian Bogie but it fell through over the transfer fee. 
  • The problem is - he says the interest was before he moved on loan to Swansea which took place in December 1993
  • Ian Bogie didn't join Vale until March 1995 so it can't have been him at that date. 

So there's two possibilities - 

1. Burns got confused over the player, got Bogie's name mixed up with another player and the journalist didn't realise.
2. Burns got confused over the date and this didn't happen in 1993. Even then it can't be Bogie as Burns left Pompey in 1994 and as I mentioned Bogie didn't join Vale till 95. 

• I know several of you have press clippings and the like and I wonder if anyone has any info on when Burns was on trial with the club. That would shed more light on when it was and what player was involved. 
  • There doesn't seem to be any likely candidates from the Vale midfield of 93/94. That season there was Porter, VDL and Ian Taylor (can't see any of them being let go) plus Paul Kerr who had only joined in the summer. If anyone has any suggestions on who the "swop" player could possibly be, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Advert

I think Paul Kerr would have been the most likely candidate.

We signed him in 1992 for a six figure fee but when his contract was up in the summer of 1994 he held out for better terms and it got a bit ugly in the end.

As it was pre-Bosman, Vale were still entitled to a fee and I can remember Rudge trying to use Kerr (who had finished the 93/94 on loan at Leicester in the second tier) as a makeweight in a transfer deal. So that's the most likely one.

Didn't Burns score a last minute winner against us in an Autoglass game at Swansea?

Archived