onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Getting the best from James Wilson

SFBT

9 hours ago, SFBT said:

The point I'm trying to make is that this is a team/ style of play conundrum, and much less about JW himself.

I think his ability is there for all to see.

It needs to be exploited.

I think the bigger conundrum is getting the best out of Wozz at RWB, but he seemed to have sorted that out for himself on Saturday.  At least Wilson isn’t being played out of position.

I still maintain put those sitters away and we wouldn’t be debating.  I do agree with some other posters that he could maybe be fitter, but I also think it’s likely he’s getting subbed to keep him fresh, given he’s had injuries, and to give other members of the squad minutes, rather than purely because he’s blowing out of his arse at 70 mins.

Advert

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

That goal on Saturday which was terrific will do him the world of good I feel he is getting better with every game he as a very good touch and his hold up play is excellent he will only excel with ball to feet though noticed Proctors the one who fights for all the ball in the air which he does very well mostly  

Let's hope that goal gives him the confidence to go to Scunthorpe and get another one I think it will .

If I rated his team contribution on Saturday, it would be 8/10.

He does lots of selfless running and chasing and on the scraps, created several very good chances for others.

His individual score would be as low as 3/10, simply because he has so much more to offer.

If we play to his strengths.

I'm hoping that his potential is harnessed by better service.

5 hours ago, The man in the pub said:
16 hours ago, SFBT said:
Getting the best out of this obviously very talented player is proving to be quite a challenge.
He's not a strong, hold up player, nor particularly quick.
What he does have is excellent awareness and ball control.
Right now, he's feeding on scraps, creating chances from them, and doing lots of unselfish pressing.
It's perhaps a typical league two problem.
How do you involve talented strikers?
I would like to see us play through the midfield and have him coming short and linking with them.
Imo, he could be the Harry Kane of league two!
My fear is that we won't succeed in utilising his obvious skills.
I'm really interested to hear what others'think.

The 2 goals he has scored for us have both been of the memorable type rather than in the box tap ins. Is this because he isn't in the box often enough, although he has missed the odd close in sitter. Maybe he is the type of striker whose goals will mostly be decent strikes from outside the box.

He's scored three for us now, hasn't he? Two in pre-season, his first was against Kidsgrove, I couldn't really see it from where I was in the ground but that one wasn't a tap in either from memory.

The pressure these players are feeling is definitely all coming from the fans. Clarke has commented multiple times the hard work he puts in off the ball and chasing down through balls. I think he's a player that will be valuable further into the season, in games where it needs some magic, something special, he's the one that will be involved somewhere in the chain.

My biggest concern (and it isn't huge) is his inability to complete 90 mins.

I’m fairly sure that neither Mal or Wilson have completed a full 90 mins yet. I’m not bothered by that myself, but it does automatically take up some of the sub options if they will need to be taken off whatever the situation is. Particularly Wilson I think is one hard tackle away from injury, so I’m happy to take him off when he tires. No point running them into the ground.

I am sure the idea was Rodney and Wilson to start, then Proctor to come on for Wilson late on. But since Proctor has been playing so well it now looks more apparent when Wilson comes off because it’s not going to be someone else holding the ball up and playing it into space for Rodney. 

Within the first 20 mins on Saturday he'd setup Proctor for his volley by being sharper than anyone else in the box and winning a header against two defenders, and again was sharper than anyone else to offer for a quick throw and then fire a wicked ball across the 6 yard box which first Smith and then Cass were unable to stick in the back of the net. He does stuff like this every single week and is only getting better as his confidence builds. 

You don't see many players at this level who do things before the crowd sees them. Wilson is one of those players, as shown by his excellent goal on Saturday. He's going to be a great asset in League One next season, too. 

1 hour ago, 1 said:

I’m fairly sure that neither Mal or Wilson have completed a full 90 mins yet. I’m not bothered by that myself, but it does automatically take up some of the sub options if they will need to be taken off whatever the situation is. Particularly Wilson I think is one hard tackle away from injury, so I’m happy to take him off when he tires. No point running them into the ground.

We have a strong bench when everyone is fit. Happy for DC to use them to bring on fresh legs or different options.

Everything I've seen from Wilson this season tells me he's a class player. He has a real footballing brain - his positioning, sense of where other players are, how and when to make a pass and how to place it. Hopefully, he'll now go on to show us he can finish too. No wonder Clarke's first comment about him referred to his undoubted pedigree.

It's easy to forget though, as someone recently pointed out, that he hasn't played much football over the last five seasons - about 12 games per season. So it's no wonder that he's never built up real match fitness and stamina. I also think he's deceptively quick and I think someone posted a clip on here showing that he was the fastest player (or one of them) at United.

His control is also exceptional for a player at this level so the key to exploiting his potential must be to play it to his feet, either deep or in the box. As Conlon gets back to his best and his partnership with Proctor gels, my bet is it's all only going to get better. So, fingers crossed, let's hope we'll see a few more like these:

Wilson is class act and a very genuine person judging from his interview from Saturday. For me technically the best player at the club, even better than Condon.

I was a little sceptical when we signed him thinking he could be a big time Charlie like McKirdy, however the work rate has been exceptional. He has ran himself into the ground every game. Hopefully he will now start to get the rewards and score a few more goals.

I posted before I really think he has the potential to be our X factor this season. I can't see him ever being a great goalscorer but a scorer of great goals to turn games in our favour and someone who will create assists. A modern day Tony Naylor.

I tend to agree with a lot of these comments. He is a clever player with a very good first touch and an awareness of space.  The issue at the moment is that he struggles to complete 90 minutes and seems to have lost some of his pace (which was electric in his younger days). 

He does work hard for the team and it's nice to see both players and fans supporting him to the hilt so hopefully a long run of games will help him improve his fitness.

The partnership between him and Proctor is developing nicely.

You don't come through at Utd and score for them in the premier league without having something about you.

He's had a few years of injury trouble, and a few years under managers that didn't particularly want him in there team (Van Gaal, Mourinho).

However he's back home, starting regular and gaining fitness for a manager who made he his prime target last year and is known for man management. He's also only 25 so plenty of time to kick on from here.

I'm pleased to have started this thread as I have learned more about what he brings.

I'm seriously excited about having a player of his calibre playing for Vale.

It's been a joy to read the many positive comments.

Thank you 🙂

He has improved in the last few games, which demonstrates he has been working hard and wants to improve. So that has been so encouraging to see. 

The early games, especially the away ones he clearly lacked confidence and didn’t seem to want it. The fact he has been able to change that attitude when so few have for us in the past shows a desire to win. 

He has improved in the last few games, which demonstrates he has been working hard and wants to improve. So that has been so encouraging to see. 

The early games, especially the away ones he clearly lacked confidence and didn’t seem to want it. The fact he has been able to change that attitude when so few have for us in the past shows a desire to win. 

Think it's a little harsh personally to suggest that he didn't seem to want it. Never seen that myself. For me, he's maintained a consistent level of performance that, even at its worst, has been streets ahead of 99% of the strikers we've had over the past 5 years

On 20/09/2021 at 12:29, 1 said:

My thinking exactly! And, while we have decent replacements, let's use them wisely...protect Wilson a bit (for whatever reason) and still give other players game time - it's actually a really good situation to be in. And his goal against Harrogate - he had some work still to do when he got the ball! 

Archived