onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Getting the best from James Wilson

SFBT

Getting the best out of this obviously very talented player is proving to be quite a challenge.
He's not a strong, hold up player, nor particularly quick.
What he does have is excellent awareness and ball control.
Right now, he's feeding on scraps, creating chances from them, and doing lots of unselfish pressing.
It's perhaps a typical league two problem.
How do you involve talented strikers?
I would like to see us play through the midfield and have him coming short and linking with them.
Imo, he could be the Harry Kane of league two!
My fear is that we won't succeed in utilising his obvious skills.

I'm really interested to hear what others'think.

Advert

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

Getting the best out of this obviously very talented player is proving to be quite a challenge.
Right now, he's feeding on scraps, creating chances from them, and doing lots of unselfish pressing.
I would like to see us play through the midfield and have him coming short and linking with them.

Quite simply I think you’re over thinking this.  From memory, Wilson has missed a couple of absolute sitters.  If he’d have taken these, added to his goal on Saturday, the subject wouldn’t be up for discussion.

I think that the service Wilson receives is an all important factor, he seems to look more dangerous when he's running at defenders around the edge of the box. Evidently he's not afraid to pull the trigger and I'm sure more goals will follow. He's clearly a popular player amongst the squad as it appeared the players congratulating him on Saturday couldn't have been more pleased if they had scored the goal themselves. I think Saturday's goal has come just in time. as with a lot of fans, "the jury was out" in terms of what he brings to the team. As a striker you only have to be lucky once in the game and everybody loves you, Darrell might claim to judge a forward on their overall play but we all know really that as a forward you are judged on goals. Had Devante Rodney not got himself banned I don't think Wilson would have started the game against Harrogate. Put simply, we have to feed him the right kind of balls and see what happens as I believe there is no reason why he can't reach double figures but then again I am a glass half full type.

The 2 goals he has scored for us have both been of the memorable type rather than in the box tap ins. Is this because he isn't in the box often enough, although he has missed the odd close in sitter. Maybe he is the type of striker whose goals will mostly be decent strikes from outside the box.

10 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Quite simply I think you’re over thinking this.  From memory, Wilson has missed a couple of absolute sitters.  If he’d have taken these, added to his goal on Saturday, the subject wouldn’t be up for discussion.

The point I'm trying to make is that this is a team/ style of play conundrum, and much less about JW himself.

I think his ability is there for all to see.

It needs to be exploited.

The point I'm trying to make is that this is a team/ style of play conundrum, and much less about JW himself.
I think his ability is there for all to see.
It needs to be exploited.
Agreed, it is the team, we have variety now. Maybe some are more suited to L1, he will come good.

11 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Agree totally GR , he could easily be sat on 4 with Proctor ( yes I know he isn't ) . He is working hard , always seems to be hooked after 65 minute mark, is that a fitness issue, surely not at his age , only him and Clarke will know. 

He's been the subject of a lot of criticism for me unwarranted. His general play has been good 

My opinion is because of the type of player he is it's easy to read his body language as half hearted when actually he's running his conkers off . 

Also possible with the odd exception maybe Worrall and Conlon , his football brain and touch is ahead of the others so not always on the same wavelength.

It'll come . 

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Agree totally GR , he could easily be sat on 4 with Proctor ( yes I know he isn't ) . He is working hard , always seems to be hooked after 65 minute mark, is that a fitness issue, surely not at his age , only him and Clarke will know. 

He's been the subject of a lot of criticism for me unwarranted. His general play has been good 

My opinion is because of the type of player he is it's easy to read his body language as half hearted when actually he's running his conkers off . 

Also possible with the odd exception maybe Worrall and Conlon , his football brain and touch is ahead of the others so not always on the same wavelength.

It'll come . 

One of the few times he had a decent pass into feet on Saturday, from Wozza, resulted in his stunning goal 

3 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

He seems like he needs to get fitter.

Him and Benning give that perception don't they . 

Strange really as both had full pre season with us. 

Certainly when we watching the game that's the perception we are getting but surely they must be fit or Clarke wouldn't select them . 

That goal on Saturday which was terrific will do him the world of good I feel he is getting better with every game he as a very good touch and his hold up play is excellent he will only excel with ball to feet though noticed Proctors the one who fights for all the ball in the air which he does very well mostly  

Let's hope that goal gives him the confidence to go to Scunthorpe and get another one I think it will .

Archived