Lucas Covolan

Jacko51

Killed the Swindon game by having a rayt nice sit down when a player blocked his kick.

Caught by a sniper when Diamond challenged him yesterday.

Hartlepool fans still hate him based on a game they won 6 months ago.

This is the sort of character we need. Everyone hates him apart from us. Prowls about 40 yards from net absolutely loving his life. 

Cult hero potential if he cuts out the daft nonsense.

We simply have to have a chant/orchestrated Samba routine in place for Hartlepool.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Killed the Swindon game by having a rayt nice sit down when a player blocked his kick.

Caught by a sniper when Diamond challenged him yesterday.

Hartlepool fans still hate him based on a game they won 6 months ago.

This is the sort of character we need. Everyone hates him apart from us. Prowls about 40 yards from net absolutely loving his life. 

Cult hero potential if he cuts out the daft nonsense.

We simply have to have a chant/orchestrated Samba routine in place for Hartlepool.

You missed knocking out Beesley - a new defensive tactic in clearing your lines 😲 

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 1

I’m sure under the tutorage of Ronnie Sinclair he will come to terms with the higher demands. You can coach the daft nonsense out of him, but it’s a long while ago when we had a keeper dominating his area and coming for crosses.

• Like 1

Really enjoy videos like that whatever the sport. He comes across as a real likeable person who's worked hard to get where he is so best of luck to the guy. His handling/shot stopping look good and Vale have obviously been working with him on his decision making when the ball is at his feet and it looks like it's improving already. My sense tells me he's gonna make a mistake trying to be Gerson that's gonna cost Vale a goal but by then the team will owe him quite a few and hopefully it won't matter.

3 hours ago, Rockape99 said:

That was funnest thing I have ever seen on a football pitch 

Yep laid him well out - bet he doesn't hang that close to the Lucas next time we play them 😂😂

Legend status beckons 😁😁😁

• Like 1

I think a possible reason for people hating on Covolan is that there's a perception that Brown was treated unfairly. This isn't the thread for the rights or wrongs of that but if there's a cloud over the release of a popular player then his successor will (unfairly) get some of the flak for that. That's probably even more the case for a keeper when it's a 1:1 swap.

• Like 2

Just now, mr.hobblesworth said:

I think a possible reason for people hating on Covolan is that there's a perception that Brown was treated unfairly. This isn't the thread for the rights or wrongs of that but if there's a cloud over the release of a popular player then his successor will (unfairly) get some of the flak for that. That's probably even more the case for a keeper when it's a 1:1 swap.

yeah could be a bit of that, but damn he is hard not to love 🙂 - and to be honest the whingers seem to be fading into the background a bit now

• Like 2

yeah could be a bit of that, but damn he is hard not to love  - and to be honest the whingers seem to be fading into the background a bit now
They'll be back in full force next time we lose, have no fear
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Doha said:

I cannot emphasise enough how vitally important it is that this 12ft flag gets waved about at Hartlepool away. Vital.

Untitled-2.thumb.png.0535613e4383507ef116e64b41e037c0.png

if we could get one of him in a vale shirt, i'd happily contribute to a big version of this for Hartlepool away/over some seats in the bycars

Edited by Walka003
  • Like 1

I have to say I was one of the doubters after his first few games, he absolutely terrified me.

However, he seems to have settle since those earlier setbacks/jitters, and is impressing me more and more every game. I think a lot of people will be won round, we just arent used to have a goalkeeper that does the things he does, but 4 clean sheets in 8 is not to be sniffed at. That coupled with the tv interview Saturday, I can feel a serious man-crush developing!

• Like 3

I do think it was a bit unfair to write him off after one game.

He's still not into double figures in terms of his Football League career and he's lining up behind / communicating with a rebuilt defence.

Considering both those things, he's settled really well. It will be interesting to see how he's doing by the New Year with 20-odd games behind him. 

In a funny way, another thing he's got is relatively experienced back-up in Aidan Stone breathing down his neck. That's got to help him maintain the standards. Scott Brown didn't have that competition for several periods of his Vale career and I think it's good to have someone like Stone to keep the pressure on and also as a long-term successor for him.

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I don't think anyone was writing him off after one game. The only question is how he will handle one or two games a week for an entire season at a higher level than he has played at before. No-one knows that at present. 

I do think people were writing him off though. I saw several comments on here along the lines of "clown" and "get rid" in the opening week of the season.

How players perform in the League can apply to a multitude of players and can go either way. You could say that no-one knew that about Ian Taylor and he had a very successful first season as a League footballer. Everyone has to start their career at some stage.

However, we've also got an insurance policy in Aidan Stone. I think it's been a while since we've had quality GK cover and that not only helps in terms of someone with a decent amount of experience able to step in but also helps Lucas maintain standards.

For me, I think it's too early to herald him as a success and as I said in my post above, it will be interesting to see where he is in the New Year, but the signs are certainly promising at the moment. All he can do is keep proving the doubters wrong and I hope he does.

• Like 2