Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Problem for RZ is that he went a bit far/obsessive in his criticism of DC, and now can't back down. He wants Vale to do well but he also knows every win makes him look a bit silly, so he's a bit torn at present.

He isn't daft enough to want Vale to lose, but can't enjoy it properly as he's spent 6 months very insistently saying it wasn't going to happen. 

Feel a bit bad for him, to be honest. Bit of optimism and wins around the place and he has to nervously log onto OVF after every win and brace for impact. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Only just catching up on things after being away for a few days. 

Just watched Cass interview. Again glowing praise for Clarke .

Also loved the bit where Clarke said it was great that Garrity had a go at him for being taken off.

Clarke....' I love it ' . 

Although it's always sweeter with a win. Had we lost it may of been an issue ? 

Either way a great start and real expectations for Saturday of an exciting game. No time for negativity we could be looking good at 5-00 pm all being well. 

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:
13 minutes ago, rayzer said:
When Covolan went down, did anybody else see that a bottle was thrown at him from the fans behind the goal?

Saw the steward come on and pick it up but didn't see it thrown on

It was mentioned by the commentators on ifollow the ref ask the steward to come on the pitch and remove it.

19 hours ago, Frank Mustard said:
19 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:
I love the Vale , and it’s great to be near the top , even at this early stage, but that was embarrassing on Saturday from Covolan, in my opinion. 

He broke their momentum. What's embarrassing about that? Teams have played those tricks on us for years, what's goes around comes around.

Yes, he did break their momentum, but the way in which he did it was embarrassing to watch. Really bad acting . That’s all. We should have been out of sight by then, by the Vale are playing well. Looking forward to Saturday. 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 13:16, Rampant Zebra said:

I want us to do as well as we can. I have set no targets for the season, I just want to go and watch some exciting football payed by players I recognize. We will never know if the current squad are really any better than some of the players they replaced as there are too many variables. The fact that some of the released players haven't found clubs is no guide to their ability really, more a reflection of the unexpected requirement to find another club at short notice. Despite the stats saying the new players are better, how do we know if one of them is going to fancy another ones wife and have a punch up in the car park? There is more to a successful team than just picking the best players based on stats. That is why I think evolution rather than revolution is the way to go. Although football is all about the results, the paying customer has his/her own demands and will only pay if they are met. 

That is total twaddle, we managed to find all our new players at short notice. The released players were some of the earliest released players in all the leagues, so they have had more chance to find other clubs. They haven't because they aren't good enough. The few that have found other league clubs are now just bench warmers or not in the matchday squads. If you don't recognise our new players now after 11 games then you need glasses or have not watched any games. which one is it?

• Like 3

On 27/09/2021 at 12:06, Vale1995 said:

Can tell you right now that most of our bench and people who dont make the match day squad would be starters for most teams in this division.

Spot on.  I think this is why we will be in top 3. If you look at some of the other fancied teams like Salford,Newport,Bradford,Mansfield they all have little strength in depth and have struggled to maintain positive starts when the 1st eleven is not available.

13 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I already wear glasses. I can tell by the numbers which players are which but my short term memory issues mean I have trouble remembering who they all are. 

You write it down. Because this is valuable information.

• Haha 1

You write it down. Because this is valuable information.
Good memory if you don't write it down, 20 odd shapes and gaits to remember. It is not like recognising the TV stars that have been around a few seasons.

On 28/09/2021 at 19:49, Rampant Zebra said:

I already wear glasses. I can tell by the numbers which players are which but my short term memory issues mean I have trouble remembering who they all are. 

Not being funny but how come you can't remember who the current squad are, but you can remember last seasons and the ones before. 

Genuine question 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, newchapel valiant said:

Not being funny but how come you can't remember who the current squad are, but you can remember last seasons and the ones before. 

Genuine question 

Short term memory issues, I can remember things from years ago but not what I did yesterday.

12 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

Genuine question 

As an addendum to this - if he can remember who they are then why can he not remember how bad they were!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 28/09/2021 at 19:49, Rampant Zebra said:

So what you are saying is that Clarke should have kept the dross because you can't recognise the new players .🙈🙈

• Haha 2