onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, Doha said:

Only just back. Long day.

Right. Not to put a downer on things but I think I'll only be saying what Clarke will on Monday. And both he and I really really really really want to get out of this <ovf censored> league, so I think it's fair enough to point out where to improve despite 3 points.

We weren't great, let them far into the game for my liking. Cov made a great save second half and Conlon headed a good chance off the line. We sat far too deep second half for longs spells and a better side would have forced an equaliser. 

Today was the first game this season where I was nervous and feeling the classic Vale dread of holding onto a lead in injury time. That's to say, we were far too deep at times and let them play too much. This wasn't Forest Green where nothing was being done with it, I felt far more nervous and watched the clock much more today than on the terrace at FGR which felt more comfortable in all honesty. 

I didn't quite understand the point of the Benning sub. Not to single him out but he was poor. I don't think he stopped a single cross, for 2/3 of them he was miles away from the winger, miles, it was like he'd won a competition. Sorry but I think he was really poor and for such a hyped transfer he needs to get his act together like the rest of them have. 

However.

A team playing poorly and still winning is a good sign in L2, regardless of the opposition being below par.

Cov was very good, he looks so much more confident. One dodgy moment late second half where he dwelled on the ball looking for a pass instead of booting it clear when they were pressing, too clever for his own good. But very good overall. Genuinely thought he was injured late on, I was at Bristol City when Goodlad did his Achilles and it looked an identical accidental tear as the pitch today was clearly wet and grabby. Took his time with goal kicks, it's good effective shithousing without being out and out blatant cheating scumbags.

Garrity was pissed off to be subbed, didn't clap the fans, Clarke said at the end he didn't want to go off and made sure to tell him so. Fittest player at the club. Good lad. Good attitude. 1-0 to the Matrix. 

I think Proctor and Wilson have switched positions in the confidence stakes and now it's JP who needs a goal. Missed a sitter last week, had one today that really should have at least found itself on target but it was high. Could have had 2 today, I picked him out to watch closely and I could see the frustration and anger with himself in his body language. Needs to chill out and grab a tap in next week. 

The goal was excellent and wouldn't look out of place on MOTD premiership highlights.

We had a very good spell in the second half where it was corner after corner, attack after attack, some smart play. Failed to take advantage and let them back into it. 

I've mentioned it a few times but I'm still seeing that classic Vale hesitancy of taking a shot on. Lots of sideways runs and back/side passes killing the momentum of a break again today. 

Yet again the usual suspects have slinked off nowhere to be seen, seething at Clarke winning another game. How many of the moaners at Northampton away screaming and swearing and slagging off him and Flitcroft (and Cov) literally just 23 mins into the new season were loving it today when Clarke was giving it the big un to the away end at full time? I hope he keeps proving his detractors very firmly wrong. 

Benning is a million miles off it. Has been in every game I've seen him make an appearance in. Even the ones when he's come on as sub. Mind boggling really after all the hype.

I really hope he can turn it around, but he should be nowhere near our starting 11 at the minute. If he had come in as some unknown like Garrity did, he would be getting absolutely slaughtered.

Had a busy family day so only caught the last 20 mins. It was hard to gauge what sort of game it was as Bowers commentary implied we were really under the cosh. 

Great result and we are developing a bit of momentum whereby we have a settled team and system that is doing the business away from home. Next week vs Orient will be an interesting test as I’m still not convinced it’s the right system for at home, but what do I know.

Loving the new found “game management”. I noticed Lucas had “hamstring problems” against Harrogate around 80 minutes in. Anyway, as others have said, we’ve been on the receiving end of some outrageous gamesmanship over the past few seasons, so great that we are dishing a bit out ourselves. 

looking forward to the next game (which normally means we lose it)! 

1 hour ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Had a busy family day so only caught the last 20 mins. It was hard to gauge what sort of game it was as Bowers commentary implied we were really under the cosh. 

Great result and we are developing a bit of momentum whereby we have a settled team and system that is doing the business away from home. Next week vs Orient will be an interesting test as I’m still not convinced it’s the right system for at home, but what do I know.

Loving the new found “game management”. I noticed Lucas had “hamstring problems” against Harrogate around 80 minutes in. Anyway, as others have said, we’ve been on the receiving end of some outrageous gamesmanship over the past few seasons, so great that we are dishing a bit out ourselves. 

looking forward to the next game (which normally means we lose it)! 

There were a couple of short spells where we were under a bit of pressure but over the 90 (95) we were comfortable.  The second half felt a bit like the Harrogate game where we took our foot off the gas and got a bit sloppy.  Missing decent chances doesn't help.  As it was, Covolan had to make one smart save and we cleared an effort off the line.

10 hours ago, philmpv said:

I personally think that Lloyd is a great sub option to have from what I've seen. Chases absolutely everything and never let's up. Much more so than Amoo and Rodney. Horses for courses and all that. Each offer something different.

I agree to an extent, not knocking the lad at all.  It's like bringing on another midfielder but playing higher up the pitch.  When only 1 up and they're pressing I then we should try to get in behind us, stops them pressing and playing further up the pitch.

12 hours ago, Doha said:

I didn't quite understand the point of the Benning sub. Not to single him out but he was poor. I don't think he stopped a single cross, for 2/3 of them he was miles away from the winger, miles, it was like he'd won a competition. Sorry but I think he was really poor and for such a hyped transfer he needs to get his act together like the rest of them have. 

I would definitely agree that Benning hasn't been that impressive so far. However, I think we've got a manager/coaching team that's very cautious on rushing players back from injury. I would think Clarke still thinks Gibbo can't quite manage 90 mins yet and that's why he's being super cautious and subbing him. While it does potentially weaken us when he comes off, I can see the long-term logic. You don't want to set Gibbo back several weeks or months for the sake of pushing him through a full 90 mins too soon. The good news is that if DC keeps being sensible with Gibbo the time will come when he will last 90 mins and hopefully eventually there will be no need to sub him. 

47 minutes ago, robf said:

I would definitely agree that Benning hasn't been that impressive so far. However, I think we've got a manager/coaching team that's very cautious on rushing players back from injury. I would think Clarke still thinks Gibbo can't quite manage 90 mins yet and that's why he's being super cautious and subbing him. While it does potentially weaken us when he comes off, I can see the long-term logic. You don't want to set Gibbo back several weeks or months for the sake of pushing him through a full 90 mins too soon. The good news is that if DC keeps being sensible with Gibbo the time will come when he will last 90 mins and hopefully eventually there will be no need to sub him. 

I think gibbo was subbed yesterday because he had an off day he was poor especially second half and was correctly subbed 

6 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I think gibbo was subbed yesterday because he had an off day he was poor especially second half and was correctly subbed 

Gibbo was good yesterday. Absolute menace down the left and his drilled crosses on his weaker foot were dangerous. Flagged second half but would definitely disagree with the view he had an off day.

Benning continues to look absolute miles off. We looked so open on his side after he came on. I'd be looking to get Amos up to speed. The Matrix has had an excellent hit-rate but, 10+ games in, maybe Benning was a miss and his 1 year deal was a wise move.

I'd agree with that @Joe B for me he runs out of steam after an hour or so (no criticism as that's just him regaining match fitness) and DC is resting him so he doesn't push him too much. We've been terrible over the years with rushing players back from injury too early at Vale so I think it's a sensible long-term strategy.

I thought Conlon had a greater impact over the 90 mins yesterday. That's not a criticism of his recent performances, he's a great player and back from injury but he's only human and it has taken him a few games to have an impact over the whole 90 mins. Hopefully the skipper will now go on from strength to strength too.

If DC's management means we start seeing the same from Gibbo (i.e. building him up to 90 min games) then that's two key injured players who have been carefully managed back into the side.

26 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Either you we’re watching a different game or just aren’t sure what players are bringing to the side. Don’t forget football isn’t about just getting a ball and running at players to try and create something every time they have it. I though Gibbo defended well, pressed well, put in a couple of great crosses, kept their full back and lad on the right quiet for most of the game and kept them on the back foot, he got in at the back post for balls into the box, made some good runs around the box that weren’t picked out when he was finding space (that was very noticeable in the second half) and he kept the ball well too. I think the only things I can remember that he did wrong were a miss hit cross in the second half and a cross field ball to the right that he put too much on. We’re certainly a better side with him in the team and the fact he was subbed weakened us. But I agree with rob, Clarke looks to be trying to protect him and build up his match minutes IMO, he put in a lot of work down the wing yesterday so I think it’s wise we look after him. Arguably he was better than worrall yesterday too. 

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

There were a couple of short spells where we were under a bit of pressure but over the 90 (95) we were comfortable.  The second half felt a bit like the Harrogate game where we took our foot off the gas and got a bit sloppy.  Missing decent chances doesn't help.  As it was, Covolan had to make one smart save and we cleared an effort off the line.

I think no matter how much you dominate 1-0 is a worrying score line during a game. I suppose thats why we all hope our forward line consistently hits the net so as we can get into those more comfortable 2-0 positions.

Archived