onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Hard working rather than spectacular. Nothing at all wrong with that.  Apart from a 10 minute spell I thought Scunny we’re terrible.  The only negative was the sitters we missed.  Nice to break two hoodoos, Glanford Park and Scrimshaw.

Off now, back to staring at the league table for an hour or two. 😳

Advert

Good away performance against a really poor team. I felt there was only ever going to be one winner today during the match and it was case of how many we would score. Solid performances if not spectacular across the board although Nathan Smith was outstanding today. It looked to me like we had a lot more gears if needed but I get similar to the winning run last season where once we score the result is never in doubt. Very good signs indeed.

Shout out to Covolan for his "injury" taking a goal kick to break up the Scunny momentum in the only 5-10 spell they had when they really pinned us in our own half.  What an absolute <ovf censored> of a keeper he is becoming.

Brilliant.

I really can't see both teams in L2 next season.

Terrific win this hard to tell on sporting life but all what matters is the  result .

First half looked like a excellent performance ,second half they came into it more was that due to us dropping deeply or Scunthorpe playing well .

Ben Garrity a lovely goal that after good work from Wilson with the header to Conlon and a lovely through ball finished superbly by super Ben Garrity he looks a right find .

48 years and then we win away at Scunthorpe made up well done Vale bring on Leyton Orient at home pack the park 

UTV 

Another great win today & another solid performance. Big game coming up next week v Orient. A win could see us up to 2nd place, which would be a fantastic start to the season 10 games in.

I like how DC is so grounded & his mantra of one game at a time is great & exactly what we need. One word of caution, after 10 games last season under Askey... we had 19 points. Even if we win next week we'll be one point worse off! Incredible to think & we all know what happened in the following 20 odd games!

I'm sure this squad are built of different stuff, as are the coaching & management team. Bring on a big game next Saturday, pack the park!

Only just back. Long day.

Right. Not to put a downer on things but I think I'll only be saying what Clarke will on Monday. And both he and I really really really really want to get out of this <ovf censored> league, so I think it's fair enough to point out where to improve despite 3 points.

We weren't great, let them far into the game for my liking. Cov made a great save second half and Conlon headed a good chance off the line. We sat far too deep second half for longs spells and a better side would have forced an equaliser. 

Today was the first game this season where I was nervous and feeling the classic Vale dread of holding onto a lead in injury time. That's to say, we were far too deep at times and let them play too much. This wasn't Forest Green where nothing was being done with it, I felt far more nervous and watched the clock much more today than on the terrace at FGR which felt more comfortable in all honesty. 

I didn't quite understand the point of the Benning sub. Not to single him out but he was poor. I don't think he stopped a single cross, for 2/3 of them he was miles away from the winger, miles, it was like he'd won a competition. Sorry but I think he was really poor and for such a hyped transfer he needs to get his act together like the rest of them have. 

However.

A team playing poorly and still winning is a good sign in L2, regardless of the opposition being below par.

Cov was very good, he looks so much more confident. One dodgy moment late second half where he dwelled on the ball looking for a pass instead of booting it clear when they were pressing, too clever for his own good. But very good overall. Genuinely thought he was injured late on, I was at Bristol City when Goodlad did his Achilles and it looked an identical accidental tear as the pitch today was clearly wet and grabby. Took his time with goal kicks, it's good effective shithousing without being out and out blatant cheating scumbags.

Garrity was pissed off to be subbed, didn't clap the fans, Clarke said at the end he didn't want to go off and made sure to tell him so. Fittest player at the club. Good lad. Good attitude. 1-0 to the Matrix. 

I think Proctor and Wilson have switched positions in the confidence stakes and now it's JP who needs a goal. Missed a sitter last week, had one today that really should have at least found itself on target but it was high. Could have had 2 today, I picked him out to watch closely and I could see the frustration and anger with himself in his body language. Needs to chill out and grab a tap in next week. 

The goal was excellent and wouldn't look out of place on MOTD premiership highlights.

We had a very good spell in the second half where it was corner after corner, attack after attack, some smart play. Failed to take advantage and let them back into it. 

I've mentioned it a few times but I'm still seeing that classic Vale hesitancy of taking a shot on. Lots of sideways runs and back/side passes killing the momentum of a break again today. 

Yet again the usual suspects have slinked off nowhere to be seen, seething at Clarke winning another game. How many of the moaners at Northampton away screaming and swearing and slagging off him and Flitcroft (and Cov) literally just 23 mins into the new season were loving it today when Clarke was giving it the big un to the away end at full time? I hope he keeps proving his detractors very firmly wrong. 

I agree with much of that.  Seemed to me a complete game of 2 halves, 1st half Jones and Gibbo created most opportunities very involved, 2nd half more through the middle.  We need to be more clinical when chances come along at least get them on target.  Would love to have Rodney available at this time to give them something completely different to think about either starting or coming on as sub.  I'm not convinced about Lloyd and feel that Amoo may offer more as he seems to have greater pace.  Happy of course with the win.

39 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

I agree with much of that.  Seemed to me a complete game of 2 halves, 1st half Jones and Gibbo created most opportunities very involved, 2nd half more through the middle.  We need to be more clinical when chances come along at least get them on target.  Would love to have Rodney available at this time to give them something completely different to think about either starting or coming on as sub.  I'm not convinced about Lloyd and feel that Amoo may offer more as he seems to have greater pace.  Happy of course with the win.

I agree with that about Amoo. He clearly worked out in the close season to get super fit and his appearances this season have been excellent, particularly against Bolton. If we need a goal, I couldn't think about anyone better coming off the bench. 

Archived