stewards

geoff1

Anyone else have mither off the stewards about smoking pre game in the Railway Paddock?

Turns out you can only smoke at half time now even though its outside and out the way.

I didn't know so sparked a fag up walking back from the loo and a steward came up to me, grabbed me on the wrist and slapped my ciggy out of my hand the cheeky pig. Then he said "Carol says there's no smoking until halftime"

51 i am and found it intimidating and unnecessarily aggressive  

Anyone else have mither off the stewards about smoking pre game in the Railway Paddock?
Turns out you can only smoke at half time now even though its outside and out the way.
I didn't know so sparked a fag up walking back from the loo and a steward came up to me, grabbed me on the wrist and slapped my ciggy out of my hand the cheeky pig. Then he said "Carol says there's no smoking until halftime"
Had no issues myself before the game, but I was at the back of the railway stand. Not sure of the law on this, but not certain he was allowed to touch you without your consent in these circumstances, so could have technically been a battery. Unfortunately, some people when put in positions of 'authority' seem to revel in it
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gungho_ED said:

Yes, and I wonder what Carol would say about that given it is technically an assault? You should bring it to the club's attention. Seriously out of order if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Kids were moved away from watching the players warm up before the game by a steward with a pony tail who was walking up and down the paddock pre game 

That’s just wrong, they’ve let fans into the ground, the players are warming up on the pitch, are the kids supposed to close their eyes and look the other way.

5 minutes ago, Conrad said:

That’s just wrong, they’ve let fans into the ground, the players are warming up on the pitch, are the kids supposed to close their eyes and look the other way.

First time i have seen them do it in all the years i have been going,kids have always stood at the front for pics and autos,not sure why but Rochdale game Amoo broke from the warm up for a pic and when he went back one of the coaches had a word with Amoo

Edited by werstayinup

Genuine question: are maskes and gloves mandatory by law, or are they voluntary? 

To be fair; if you feel safe going in a stadium with +5.000 other people not wearing masks or gloves, why is the steward such a problem? We are slowly but surely getting back to normal, so people should learn to deal with it. Just my sentiment, although perhaps an unpopular one...

Should of smacked him in the mouth. Absolute clowns the stewards in that stand.
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, the valiant said:

Think some of the stewards we have need to get some manners the way they speak to fans doesn't cost anything to say please 

Have to say the stewards round us in the Bycars were very chatty to be fair.

2 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

At Northampton we were stopped from taking sweets into the ground and at Swindon they put a tag on my bag, I asked why and the steward said its club policy. !!  Bonkers.

On Saturday, at the Bycars turnstiles, you'd be told that "you can't bring your can of pop into the ground".  Then, when you've drunk the contents and ask what to do with the empty can, you'd be told to "just throw it".  True story.

56 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

First time i have seen them do it in all the years i have been going,kids have always stood at the front for pics and autos,not sure why but Rochdale game Amoo broke from the warm up for a pic and when he went back one of the coaches had a word with Amoo

How you know what the coach and Amoo were talking about though?  Did you overhear the conversation?

Anyhow, no such problem in the Bycars, before, during or after the game.  Wozz came over to a pack of kids as he made his way around the pitch after being subbed.  Covolan came over after the game and spent quite some time posing for selfies.  This it how it should be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walter said:
5 hours ago, Gungho_ED said:

Should of smacked him in the mouth. Absolute clowns the stewards in that stand.

10 years ago mate he would he'd have been released from hospital today.

These days i try to be more pragmatic and chilled. Even though I don't agree with the change from common sense normal rules to control of free will and people letting power go to their heads.

Even though there are loads of anti smoking people i'm glad that none of them have come trumpeting in saying i shouldn't be smoking anyway so cheers for that people who will live longer than me.

A quick google says 19% of people smoke. So its probably best to keep 1 in 5 of your customers and supporters on side and cut them a bit of slack....as has been the club policy prior to Saturday's match

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dishydave said:

It wont be long before they ban us from smoking anywhere inside the ground even though technically we're not supposed to now

It’s only against the law to smoke in covered or largely covered areas, so by the tea bars in the Railway, be hind the stands etc are not illegal.

start banning it and you will get people sneaking into the bogs etc for a fag, like they do at some away grounds.