Match Thread: Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

27 minutes ago, Wrex said:

It's all fitting into place now. Two players who needed to get off the mark were Worrall and Wilson and they've done just that. Gibson starting games again. Did not miss Rodney at all. First home win of the season. Even Covolon is getting players sent off rather than being shown the red himself!

Ironic that we've had a tough run of fixtures to start the season but picked up our wins against the teams top of the league.

The team look strong enough to recover from setbacks and any injuries and suspensions and lack of form. The manager is experienced enough to keep them grounded, and anyway I don't think these lads would even consider downing tools like the last lot did under Askey.

I predicted top ten but we're on course for top seven I think.

I have always been confident under Clarke that the defence will be really solid and every aspect of the team will get better. My only worry with the team was goals, but I think this squad has always been designed to share them around, then if someone pops off with 20 it’s just a bonus.

This squad is good enough for top 3, just keep the injuries under control.

Bookmakers haven’t cottoned on yet if anyone wants to make some holiday money for next year.

• Like 1

I think our game management under Clark has been good when we’ve had a lead to defend. I don’t remember us ever hanging on to a lead for grim life desperate for the final whistle. 

• Like 1

Just now, 1 said:

I have always been confident under Clarke that the defence will be really solid and every aspect of the team will get better. My only worry with the team was goals, but I think this squad has always been designed to share them around, then if someone pops off with 20 it’s just a bonus.

This squad is good enough for top 3, just keep the injuries under control.

Bookmakers haven’t cottoned on yet if anyone wants to make some holiday money for next year.

I’ve already got a nice bet on at 20/1 👍16s still to win the league is a great bet E/W top 3 pays 4/1 still 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 1 said:

My only worry with the team was goals, but I think this squad has always been designed to share them around, then if someone pops off with 20 it’s just a bonus.

Yes it is a bit worrying for a promotion push if you can't pin someone up and say "20 goals guaranteed here", but if goals genuinely can come from anywhere and anyone then you don't necessarily need someone challenging the top scoring charts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

I don't get this "micky mouse outfit"?  they are who they are, they are punching above their weight. Like it or not Morecambe, Forest Green, Sutton, Fleetwood, Salford, etc are here to stay. If Oldham or any established EFL club brought 123 then we would all agree with you. Credit to the Harrogate fans for travelling. 

Spot on.  It takes time to build a fanbase so it’s unfair to expect clubs to magic up hundreds of new fans overnight.

On the game itself, I thought Harrogate were a tough team, OK a bit too tough at times, but judging from the game they had one or two really decent players and worked extremely hard with and without the ball.  Teams will find them a real handful, so it was a great result given the added pressure we had of not having won at home.

I’d have loved Proctors early chance to have been on target.  Sitting where we do it would’ve been great to that that one smash the net.  Also Smiths header that went narrowly wide deserved a goal if only because he was an absolute warrior yesterday.  If anyone kept an eye on him just at set pieces alone you’ll know what I mean.

Maybe we should’ve taken the game to the ten men a bit more second half but hey ho.

1 hour ago, sunny boslem said:

I’ve already got a nice bet on at 20/1 👍16s still to win the league is a great bet E/W top 3 pays 4/1 still 

You’re going to the Bahamas!

• Like 1

I hope DC is committed to Vale for his whole contract, because I can see us going from strength to strength under him on and off the pitch. People in football who know the old Vale and the new Vale will have seen Darrell’s hand in that and be impressed. He’s the one manager I’ve seen probably in my lifetime that I think if we lose him we cannot replace him and we’ll be undeniably set back from our goals. When Micky left for Sheffield United I thought we’ll just replace him and that’s that. I’d be gutted if we lost DC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Santa said:

I don’t remember us ever hanging on to a lead for grim life desperate for the final whistle. 

Yeah, no feeling of the inevitable happening like in recent years. 

• Like 1

Tough game. Won in midfield and defence. I love Cass and Jones. Both good in possession.

Smith seems to be thriving with the responsibility.

Two top class goals. Saw the game out comfortably in large part.

Benning doesn't appear to offer much, but created three good chances in the last 10 minutes.

I think Wilson could be used so much better. Needs to be part of the build up. Imo, the Harry Kane of league two, but we have to play to his strengths. Will this happen?

After announcing how bad he was, how they weren't bothered, and how they were better off without him, Walsall have won 5/29 games (17% win) since Darrell Clarke (33% win for Walsall, 39% for Vale) left for a bigger club.

Edited by Joe B
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

I can't work out if Benning is unfit, unconfident, unbothered, or just distracted by stuff going on in his personal life. Sometime's not quite right.

He looks a combination of slow and lacking confidence in the final third. I thought he was far more physical than he is. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Benning doesn't appear to offer much, but created three good chances in the last 10 minutes.

To be fair they were down to ten men and he had the freedom of the left hand side so it’s no wonder he managed to get a couple of crosses in. But even then he did struggle to get going for a while. I’m with @Doha something doesn’t seem right, maybe it’s confidence or just a loss of form. 

I hope DC is committed to Vale for his whole contract, because I can see us going from strength to strength under him on and off the pitch. People in football who know the old Vale and the new Vale will have seen Darrell’s hand in that and be impressed. He’s the one manager I’ve seen probably in my lifetime that I think if we lose him we cannot replace him and we’ll be undeniably set back from our goals. When Micky left for Sheffield United I thought we’ll just replace him and that’s that. I’d be gutted if we lost DC.
He turned down the Leeds United job when at Bristol Rovers. So if he's somewhere where he's happy he's committed alright.
  • Like 2

Dazzler has improved every club he's been at. Salisbury 2 promotions. Rovers 2 promotions. Walsall have imploded since he left. We were struggling. The argument in some quarters that he was rubbish were nonsensical. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philpvfc said:

TBF 123 is a pathetic turnout, we have an average gate 2.5 times higher but if we were in the same position we would take at least 6 times more fans.

Gibbons coming back has made all the difference, what I have seen this season, Benning has been our weak link who hasn’t fit in to the team yet. We are certainly looking a lot better than the first few games of the season, let’s keep this consistently and we should go up this season. 

We took 233 to Swindon on a Saturday. Hopefully take 350 to Scunthorpe. Let's see if we take 738 to Harrogate ?

22 minutes ago, Doha said:

I can't work out if Benning is unfit, unconfident, unbothered, or just distracted by stuff going on in his personal life. Sometime's not quite right.

Not the player we thought we were signing. More to come or did Mansfield know something and that is why they let him go ?