onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

It's all fitting into place now. Two players who needed to get off the mark were Worrall and Wilson and they've done just that. Gibson starting games again. Did not miss Rodney at all. First home win of the season. Even Covolon is getting players sent off rather than being shown the red himself!

Ironic that we've had a tough run of fixtures to start the season but picked up our wins against the teams top of the league.

The team look strong enough to recover from setbacks and any injuries and suspensions and lack of form. The manager is experienced enough to keep them grounded, and anyway I don't think these lads would even consider downing tools like the last lot did under Askey.

I predicted top ten but we're on course for top seven I think.

Advert

6 minutes ago, bomber said:

The general quality all over the park is evident! Some of the passes played were exceptional, just over elaborate a little in the second half. 

I was concerned at times yesterday by some really stupid hospital balls tbh. They've clearly been drilled how he wants them to pass within the shape but Pett particularly played a few really daft short ones when the receiver would have 3 or 4 black shirts pressing him. Something to work on as we got away with one in particular in the first half when they won it in our half but failed to finish it off. 

8 games in and 50% of those were against teams who are in the top 8. We handed 2 of those teams their only loss.

4 clean sheets in 8, 3rd best defensive record in the league. We've conceded 3 in 7 if you remove the Rochdale debacle which is seemingly very out of character when you look at our record under Clarke. We've conceded 12 in 19 since he got his first win and turned things around. We've won 11 of those 19. 10 clean sheets.

We've undoubtedly had a tough start and are only starting to get Conlon, Gibbons, and Taylor fully fit again. Politic is still getting there. Wilson needed to score in these 3 games he's got, and he has. 

Cass, Jones, Garrity, and Proctor all unheralded signings who have established themselves early doors. 

For us wrong'uns who like numbers and such, we lead the xG table.

Trust the Pruhcess! Up the Scumbag Matrix!

For me Conlon and Gibbo are starters, but they need sheltering. Without Conlon we lost a real attacking edge and danger, so him going down would really derail the surge in my opinion. Benning, Walker, Johnson, Martin, Legge can easily slot in and pick up the slack. They have more to offer and a higher ceiling than what we have seen, which is great. 

27 minutes ago, Wrex said:

It's all fitting into place now. Two players who needed to get off the mark were Worrall and Wilson and they've done just that. Gibson starting games again. Did not miss Rodney at all. First home win of the season. Even Covolon is getting players sent off rather than being shown the red himself!

Ironic that we've had a tough run of fixtures to start the season but picked up our wins against the teams top of the league.

The team look strong enough to recover from setbacks and any injuries and suspensions and lack of form. The manager is experienced enough to keep them grounded, and anyway I don't think these lads would even consider downing tools like the last lot did under Askey.

I predicted top ten but we're on course for top seven I think.

I have always been confident under Clarke that the defence will be really solid and every aspect of the team will get better. My only worry with the team was goals, but I think this squad has always been designed to share them around, then if someone pops off with 20 it’s just a bonus.

This squad is good enough for top 3, just keep the injuries under control.

Bookmakers haven’t cottoned on yet if anyone wants to make some holiday money for next year.

Just now, 1 said:

I have always been confident under Clarke that the defence will be really solid and every aspect of the team will get better. My only worry with the team was goals, but I think this squad has always been designed to share them around, then if someone pops off with 20 it’s just a bonus.

This squad is good enough for top 3, just keep the injuries under control.

Bookmakers haven’t cottoned on yet if anyone wants to make some holiday money for next year.

I’ve already got a nice bet on at 20/1 👍16s still to win the league is a great bet E/W top 3 pays 4/1 still 

32 minutes ago, 1 said:

My only worry with the team was goals, but I think this squad has always been designed to share them around, then if someone pops off with 20 it’s just a bonus.

Yes it is a bit worrying for a promotion push if you can't pin someone up and say "20 goals guaranteed here", but if goals genuinely can come from anywhere and anyone then you don't necessarily need someone challenging the top scoring charts

2 hours ago, ollyandpatch said:

I don't get this "micky mouse outfit"?  they are who they are, they are punching above their weight. Like it or not Morecambe, Forest Green, Sutton, Fleetwood, Salford, etc are here to stay. If Oldham or any established EFL club brought 123 then we would all agree with you. Credit to the Harrogate fans for travelling. 

Spot on.  It takes time to build a fanbase so it’s unfair to expect clubs to magic up hundreds of new fans overnight.

On the game itself, I thought Harrogate were a tough team, OK a bit too tough at times, but judging from the game they had one or two really decent players and worked extremely hard with and without the ball.  Teams will find them a real handful, so it was a great result given the added pressure we had of not having won at home.

I’d have loved Proctors early chance to have been on target.  Sitting where we do it would’ve been great to that that one smash the net.  Also Smiths header that went narrowly wide deserved a goal if only because he was an absolute warrior yesterday.  If anyone kept an eye on him just at set pieces alone you’ll know what I mean.

Maybe we should’ve taken the game to the ten men a bit more second half but hey ho.

I hope DC is committed to Vale for his whole contract, because I can see us going from strength to strength under him on and off the pitch. People in football who know the old Vale and the new Vale will have seen Darrell’s hand in that and be impressed. He’s the one manager I’ve seen probably in my lifetime that I think if we lose him we cannot replace him and we’ll be undeniably set back from our goals. When Micky left for Sheffield United I thought we’ll just replace him and that’s that. I’d be gutted if we lost DC.

Tough game. Won in midfield and defence. I love Cass and Jones. Both good in possession.

Smith seems to be thriving with the responsibility.

Two top class goals. Saw the game out comfortably in large part.

Benning doesn't appear to offer much, but created three good chances in the last 10 minutes.

I think Wilson could be used so much better. Needs to be part of the build up. Imo, the Harry Kane of league two, but we have to play to his strengths. Will this happen?

Archived