onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

Advert

Great win. Two very well taken goals. They didn’t have a sniff. Proper game time for Gibbons, though I thought he got a bit untidy for 10 mins before he was taken off. I do get the little niggles about occasional sloppiness in possession after we’d killed the game at 2-0 but on the other hand, it feels like high expectations are justified from this group. We’re tucked in there quite nicely and it’s hard not to get a tad overexcited as it’s only September. The big challenge now is maintaining high levels against teams that are a bit lower down the league. It feels like our most dangerous opponent would be complacency…. Have we learned from the last 70 mins v Rochdale.

18 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Very short thread so far . Be page 15 by now if we'd lost. 

I know we have to be patient but this horrible pathetic bunch of cloggers are one of many reasons to get out of this league. 

Unbeaten, second in the league, first ever visit to Vale park and they brought 123 fans. Utterly pathetic Mickey Mouse outfit. They came to spoil again and got their just desserts. 

With regards to the concussion business I'm not making light of it because the bloke had head bandaged and was down a while. But from where I was sat the second time he went down he was holding his left shin so I'm not overly convinced it was concussion. 

A professional performance and comfortable victory against a side who are clearly not concerned about airs and graces about how they get a result. 

Yeah. Stevenage in disguise. Lucky we didn’t sustain some proper injuries. 

11 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

Good win. Great goal from Worrall and great to see Wilson off the mark.

8 games in and the start to the season is up to “decent” in my opinion. A couple of wins in the next couple and the first ten games would look very healthy.

We were a couple of converted chances against Rochdale away from probably being 2nd or 3rd, and that would have been a fantastic start to the season. We've now beaten three sides who are likely to be up there at the end of the season. You can win the odd game against the better opposition by luck more than anything out, but to already have done so three times, you don't do that unless you have the quality to be up there yourself.

Considering there's much more to come from the likes of Benning, Pett and Rodney than we've seen this season, I think there's plenty to be optimistic about.

34 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Great win. Two very well taken goals. They didn’t have a sniff. Proper game time for Gibbons, though I thought he got a bit untidy for 10 mins before he was taken off. I do get the little niggles about occasional sloppiness in possession after we’d killed the game at 2-0 but on the other hand, it feels like high expectations are justified from this group. We’re tucked in there quite nicely and it’s hard not to get a tad overexcited as it’s only September. The big challenge now is maintaining high levels against teams that are a bit lower down the league. It feels like our most dangerous opponent would be complacency…. Have we learned from the last 70 mins v Rochdale.

Quite a strange game really, it felt like it never really got going at all and neither keeper had that much to do either. We never really looked in danger and once we got the first goal I didn’t think we looked like we’d lose it either. I thought that first half we were excellent all over, a really accomplished performance that saw us keep it tight without necessarily being hung ho going forward either, but you single out Gibbo for a couple of dodgy passes before he went off, but i felt that Pett was a bit sloppy at times taking risks when he was on the ball. But really that’s a minor gripe. The goals were both fantastic, but at 2-0 up I didn’t think we were playing as well as we did in the first half.  Special mention for the red card, what a clown, I wouldn’t be happy if that was one of our players getting sent off for those 2 offences, the lad has cost them the game and he looked like someone who could pose us a threat too. 

Positives to take from it were the clean sheet, 2 good goals, a really solid first half team performance, Taylor getting minutes and Gibbo getting an hour. Arguably thats our strongest team of the season that started the game. Negatives this week were some of our decision making on the ball in the second half, we were a bit wasteful and didn’t really seem to make the extra man count, but then again at times it was that easy that we maybe thought it was never in doubt anyway. 

I think DC was maybe a little harsh / downplaying aspects of the win afterwards but that’s understandable as I imagine he’s trying to keep feet on the ground.

Second half I thought we managed the game well enough. Maybe we could have got more but it would have been a bit greedy. We were never in any danger and the game petered out harmlessly which is fine if you’re two goals to the good. 

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

but at 2-0 up I didn’t think we were playing as well as we did in the first half.  

We didn't need to. How many times have we seen Vale be a player up in the past and yet make a complete pigs ear of a game? We saw this through comfortably.

8 minutes ago, Beech said:

We didn't need to. How many times have we seen Vale been a player up and yet make a complete pigs ear of a game?

Maybe, but i can see the managers point because if you let your tempo and standards slip it be an be difficult to raise your game again if you need to later on. Luckily that didn’t have to happen, although if I remember correctly they did have one golden chance second half that they blazed over from a set piece that got knocked back into the 6 yard box. I’m probably nit picking because overall it seemed quite easy for us and the game was a walk in the park. 

Second half was far from terrible.

We hardly had to grind it out today, but nobody would have to apologise to me even if we had.

What we did have to do is weather a storm early on against a very physical side looking to unsettle us at every opportunity. We not only stood up to it but we kept our heads.

Archived