onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Harrogate Town

Fosse69

Advert

Unbeaten means very little. If we don’t offer goals on a plate to Rochdale or give ourselves no chance of recovery going down to 10 on the opener, we are unbeaten. It’s all fine margins and the league is going to be very very tight come the end of the season.

I seem to remember these started well last year, then when teams got wise to their 20% gradient, conference-conceived pitch they started getting found out.

They’ll be swallowed in the clay, and we’ll make them pay.

I thought we had a tough start, and combined with Clarke's notoriety for slow starts and better finishes, I'll happily take 11th. It's very congested though, with no teams absolutely walking it and no teams getting hammered every week.

I feel we now come into a run where, bar Mansfield, Bradford, and Orient, we have more favourable fixtures up to December starting. Of course, this league is an inconsistent mess, but FGR, Rochdale, Swindon, and Northampton have all made top 10 starts out of the 7 games we've played. 

Things have definitely improved in these 7 games; Worrall is more consistently higher up the pitch and getting assists; Lucas is no longer faffing about when he has the ball; Proctor has established himself as a useful target man; Garrity has had golden opportunities in his last three starts and will yield goals; Gibbons is fit and can contribute on either flank

We still need certain elements to click; Rodney's confidence to re-establish, Wilson to convert one of the many decent chances he's had, Benning to settle down and perform as advertised, Lucas' communication to be more consistent, replacing Legge on a regular basis. 

I think this is a big 10 games. We could come into the Christmas run in the playoff mix. We could be inconsistent and marooned in 12th-15th, optimism gone, and a sort of resignation about the second half of the season.

I think we've had a relatively tough start as well, the majority of the sides we've played you'd expect to be top half come the business end of the season(FGR, Tranmere, Carlisle)/or were in League One last season(Northampton, Rochdale, Swindon). Perhaps with the exception of Stevenage although they are much improved on the side who got out of the jail in the covid curtailed season and we've never had a brilliant record against them home or away.  Throw in Harrogate and Orient who've both started well in the next 3 games and it's a hard opening 10 games.  Scunny looks about the only one I'd wager will be bottom 6 or 8 come May yet we have a poor record against them as well.

If we can get the home form going we'll be there or thereabouts I hope

I'm glad we're playing what seems to be a good side. I'd be more worried if we were playing a club at or near the bottom. Our players will know they'll have to be at it from the off. They should also have extra motivation to put in a performance after what took place in our last home game.

Only seven teams scored fewer goals than Harrogate last season but so far they've scored more than two a game, thanks largely to Armstrong who's got five in six (league games, that is). I thought it might have been because they'd had an easy start but they've beaten Rochdale (3-2), Orient away (2-0) and Mansfield away (3-1), so not too shabby. Should be a cracker and I'm sure DC will have done his homework. After parking the bus last season at Vale Park, it will be interesting to see how they approach the game this time. 

Let's hope it's a cracker of a game .

What a start Harrogate have had what a cracking football club and they work so hard for one another ,it's a great story .

As for Vale I felt we have deserved better in our 4 home games played .

Sunderland much the better side the refs had a stinker giving a pen what quite frankly was certainly not a pen ,we played well and maybe should have has a pen ourselves. 

Tranmere we made the better chances I'd say and yet again should have had a pen .

Carlisle game put some amazing balls through yet haven't managed score yet on reflection of game I'd say a draw was right .

Rochdale game should be over after 20 mins Vale were magnificent in that period and even though last 70 were average to slightly disappointing should have still won the game based on first 20.

So let's see how we do sat let's hope there's a electric pent up atmosphere and the encouragement from the stands is loud and quite significantly clear and let's see if we can get our first home victory of the campaign. 

I believe we can 

UTV 

Set to miss this as away but a big game this. They’ve had a great start so won’t be easy but it’s winnable as they all are.

Win this and the season start looks much better with 1.5PPG early doors and a trip to crisis club Scunthorpe to follow.

I think we will get stronger as the season goes on but the earlier we “click” and hit some form then the better chance of success.

I fancy us for some reason here to win 2-0.

Leyton Orient aside win this one and the fixtures looks kinder to follow.

Win this and we're cooking.

Scunthorpe (23rd), Sutton (15th), Barrow (13th), Mansfield (21st), Crawley (20th), Oldham (24th), Walsall (17th) all to come in the 10 league games after Harrogate. 

Even a draw is sound. Just keep things steady, ensure Gibbo and Taylor are fit and firing, try and get a goal into either Rodney and Wilson, and then go at that very enticing 10 game run with a squad rife with competition. Clarke is seemingly a streaky manager who can string results together in succession (8 games with us last season, both promotions with Rovers, back end of 19-20 Walsall).

The stats bear us out as a team who create good chances and limit the opponents to few good chances. This is good. I think its very fair to argue we deserve more points than we're currently on.

We need to control the ball and press much better after we inevitably start strong, or don't go as hard in the first 20 to ensure we have enough gas to control the match afterwards. 

Covolan

Cass Smith Jones

Gibbons Garrity Pett Conlon Worrall

Proctor Rodney 

Stone, Martin, Benning, Taylor, Politic, Lloyd, Wilson

If we are sticking with the 352 and with Worrall at wing back I would go:

Cov

Martin Smith Jones

Worrall                                   Gibbons

Pett    Garrity   Conlon

Proctor  Rodney 

Benning is excellent at this level but hasn’t got going for us yet and gibbons looked excellent on the left saturday. Wouldn’t mind Wilson starting with proctor either, I think both he and Rodney have worked well along side proctor so far. I’m adamant that Martin will be key for us this season he’s played at a higher level and impressed + did well in this league with Exeter previously (nothing against Cass) 

This will be a close game I think. I’ll go 1-0 vale and us to go on a good run with the following games. I would like to see amoo back on the bench but not sure who for!! Suppose that shows just how good the squad is this season, wouldn’t be disappointed if anyone on the bench actually started. 

Archived