Port Vale Just Say Something campaign

Walka003

Can I just say. What an immense amount of bravery that video today took from Colin, I certainly chocked up watching it.

I'm so sorry for his loss, and so touched by that video the club put out today.

Thank you Colin for everything you do for Port Vale.

Ps. If anyone, and I mean anyone is struggling, please dm me

• Like 1

• Fosse69 changed the title to Colin Garlick Grandson
  • robf changed the title to Port Vale Just Say Something campaign

I think men find it harder to talk about depression and suicide for fear of just being told to "man up", even by their own friends and family. I have been in some bad places over the years, (I am doing much better over the last 5 years or so) and have been worried about talking for that reason and when I have tried to talk about it the people that don't just assume you are weak just don't know what to say to you. This is a problem that needs to be de-stigmatised and talked about more so fair play to Colin and David for speaking out. I have lost a few friends over the years to suicide and only in the last week or 2 a good friend at work has lost 2 close friends and a cousin. Something needs to change.  

Even clicking post on this message took some extra thinking time. 

Edited by WV
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, WV said:

I think men find it harder to talk about depression and suicide for fear of just being told to "man up", even by their own friends and family. I have been in some bad places over the years, (I am doing much better over the last 5 years or so) and have been worried about talking for that reason and when I have tried to talk about it the people that don't just assume you are weak just don't know what to say to you. This is a problem that needs to be de-stigmatised and talked about more so fair play to Colin and David for speaking out. I have lost a few friends over the years to suicide and only in the last week or 2 a good friend at work has lost 2 close friends and a cousin. Something needs to change.  

Hear hear.

I've had problems too.  My mental health took a genuine bashing over ten years or so.  Mainly due to relationship choices.  The last one amounting to four years of domestic abuse.

Admitting that, as a man, I found hard.

In fact it only really came out during proper counselling.

I started that just over two years ago and I've come a long way.  Still go once a month, in fact I'm going tomorrow morning.  

If anything, now, I worry I'm too open.  But it's a much better feeling than bottling it up.  

There can never be too much stuff like this.  Awareness is everything.

I still hear comments at work made such as "mental health is a load of made up rubbish.  It's an excuse."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WV said:

Well done for sharing 🙂

I totally agree that it's sooo difficult to share feelings of vulnerability.

We don't generally possess the language or the tools to do so, and it's massively scary opening up..

More concerning is that we have little idea how to respond.

We largely live in a world where everyone hides how they really feel.

Banter, hostility and being tough all provide enormous barriers to genuine openness.

Whilst many speak about change, few know how to go about it.

It's in our behaviours that we are trapped.

Changing those behaviours, listening, being open and genuine, allowing space.

Taking people seriously is critical.

Sharing your feelings is very scary when you risk being dismissed. 

We live in a world of rush. No one has the time.

I wish I had the answers, but there are always more questions.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Hear hear.

I've had problems too.  My mental health took a genuine bashing over ten years or so.  Mainly due to relationship choices.  The last one amounting to four years of domestic abuse.

Admitting that, as a man, I found hard.

In fact it only really came out during proper counselling.

I started that just over two years ago and I've come a long way.  Still go once a month, in fact I'm going tomorrow morning.  

If anything, now, I worry I'm too open.  But it's a much better feeling than bottling it up.  

There can never be too much stuff like this.  Awareness is everything.

I still hear comments at work made such as "mental health is a load of made up rubbish.  It's an excuse."

Admiration to both you and WV for your strength in posting your feelings. My kids work as a carer for Mencap, a student support officer and a trainee social worker. I'm so proud of them all doing work to help others. Love and support are the key things in our world if we want to live humanely. Wish you both the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Admiration to both you and WV for your strength in posting your feelings. My kids work as a carer for Mencap, a student support officer and a trainee social worker. I'm so proud of them all doing work to help others. Love and support are the key things in our world if we want to live humanely. Wish you both the best.

You should be very proud Aguar61

People like them have helped me no end and I'll be forever grateful for that.

I'm good now, but I can't see a time when I don't want to attend counselling.

I pay decent money for it but I see it as essential.  Would absolutely recommend to anyone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

You should be very proud Aguar61

People like them have helped me no end and I'll be forever grateful for that.

I'm good now, but I can't see a time when I don't want to attend counselling.

I pay decent money for it but I see it as essential.  Would absolutely recommend to anyone.

It was her own counselling that inspired my eldest daughter to become a support officer. It also was massively helpful to my wife after double bereavement. To quote a wise man," no man is an island,entire of itself". Shared experience is a true bond-why else do we all communicate on this excellent website. 

• Like 2