Jump to content

Booing your own players....


cactuselves
 Share

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

A/ If the team starts off by doing something some fans object to it may get a reaction (taking the knee) like booing.  <- As before, it is the team that is being booed for taking the action. It is still booing the team. dress it up how you like, disassociate it from the players, make the action seem something other to the humans taking the action, booing the action is still booing the team. My view is that booing isn't helpful if we want to support / help / aid their chances of winning. The team aren't taking a 'negative' action in taking the knee. Even if a supporter doesn't agree with the gesture, as someone who wants the team to win it is easy to find other ways to object to the action that doesn't instill instant negativity, immediately before kick off.

B/ If people are booing the team not the action it may be residual  and or accumulative,  it certainly seem pre-emptive.  <- Agreed

I take it then that you think 'A' above is acceptable but 'B' above is not? You seem to be justifying booing of taking the knee (or at least booing of actions that people disagree with), without answering the above question, so I'm not sure what your stance is. I understand why people boo, which you keep explaining, I just don't think that it is helpful to the team and as a supporter, I always want to try and give them the encouragement in the hope that it might increase their chances of winning by even a tiny margin.

As Beechy said above, everyone will moan, including me, I certainly don't sit there happy clapping for 90 minutes, but I just really dislike this pantomime booing of your own side which seems to have crept in recently.

Im not trying to justify what is acceptable or tell people what is acceptable.  Im offering reasons why/how people justify it to themselves.

It's not an issue to me, I don't do it, I don't care if others do. Whether they should is up to the individual to decide.

As for taking the knee....... is it a team decision or the players making individual choices?..... I think some boo the action not the team, some boo for other reasons and some don't know why they are booing. The only people who know why are the people who do it.

As a PS...... booing isn't new, it happened in the 50s, 60s, 70s etc etc..... it's not something that has crept in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, geosname said:

Im not trying to justify what is acceptable or tell people what is acceptable.  Im offering reasons why/how people justify it to themselves.

It's not an issue to me, I don't do it, I don't care if others do. Whether they should is up to the individual to decide.

As for taking the knee....... is it a team decision or the players making individual choices?..... I think some boo the action not the team, some boo for other reasons and some don't know why they are booing. The only people who know why are the people who do it.

As a PS...... booing isn't new, it happened in the 50s, 60s, 70s etc etc..... it's not something that has crept in.

Fair enough! You don't care if others boo, it annoys the hell out of me if it isn't extremely well justified - (because it doesn't help the players.)

I agree that booing isn't new, but I've never heard as much after 3 home games before (especially when we haven't actually played that badly given the player turnaround) and it seems to have become much more readily used (which is why I started the topic really). I've attended in some very bad times and it always felt that fans wanted to get behind the team first and foremost and only booed when really let down by the players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Fair enough! You don't care if others boo, it annoys the hell out of me if it isn't extremely well justified - (because it doesn't help the players.)

I agree that booing isn't new, but I've never heard as much after 3 home games before (especially when we haven't actually played that badly given the player turnaround) and it seems to have become much more readily used (which is why I started the topic really). I've attended in some very bad times and it always felt that fans wanted to get behind the team first and foremost and only booed when really let down by the players.

I suspect that a lot of it may be directed towards DC and his tactics? He's still very much Marmite for some people who are 40 years loyal fans. Just a thought.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Every time we are reffed by Trevor Kettle I'm amazed that he's ever SEEN one game 😂

I will admit that over the years there have been a few refs I would have liked to have seen on their knees...... with a large, well studded boot wedged up their passage. 😆

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, geosname said:
  1. 1.
    bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.
    "the dome was supported by a hundred white columns"
     
  2. 2.
    give assistance to, especially financially; enable to function or act.

Clearly, neither of those apply so the only definition applicable is supporting your player(s). VAle fans are not in a position to go on the pitch, lift the players up and put them in useful positions; neither are they allowed on to the pitch to rugby tackle the opposition or carry the ball to a player in an advantageous position. But...if your belief is that these definitions are valid...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Clearly, neither of those apply so the only definition applicable is supporting your player(s). VAle fans are not in a position to go on the pitch, lift the players up and put them in useful positions; neither are they allowed on to the pitch to rugby tackle the opposition or carry the ball to a player in an advantageous position. But...if your belief is that these definitions are valid...

especially financially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d only ever boo a player due to lack of effort, so even when we’ve been dreadful the last few seasons but the players have been putting a shift in, I’ve backed them. As others said, it doesn’t help.

Especially not when we’re not even 10 games into the season and have been playing well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree in the home games I've been to I think generally they have played well and to be honest they have lost 2 and drawn 2 and to be fair to the performances it should have been on what I've seen from highlights of the two homes i havent been 2 three wins and 1 draw so I do not personally feel booing at the end of games is justified. 

Even if its warranted I still do not believe its beneficial its like a spoilt kid who wants his own way at say Scott's getting his own way all the time and if he doesn't he boos at his parents and then expects his parents to be nice to him afterwards knowing forewell that is actions have disappointed them greatly then doing it the week after again eventually you wear the parents and they give in just to appease the child who's bad behaviour as won yet tge parents are losing there strength to do there parenting .

So booing the players will create a cannot be bothered attitude encourage do not allow it to happen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Taking the knee is a personal choice. They can do it. But not on the Vales pitch as that means involving the club.i booed them last game and will carry on booing them. For doing it on the pitch. If they did it outside the main entrance it would not bother me. Another question do they all agree or do they only kneel because the others do?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the knee is a personal choice. They can do it. But not on the Vales pitch as that means involving the club.i booed them last game and will carry on booing them. For doing it on the pitch. If they did it outside the main entrance it would not bother me. Another question do they all agree or do they only kneel because the others do?
For a footballer it is a group choice, if my team make that choice I would never dream of not applauding them.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

Taking the knee is a personal choice. They can do it. But not on the Vales pitch as that means involving the club.i booed them last game and will carry on booing them. For doing it on the pitch. If they did it outside the main entrance it would not bother me. Another question do they all agree or do they only kneel because the others do?

What a great supporter you are booing your own players.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me laugh; fella down the row from me makes a right show of himself, standing up, red-faced, hurling boos at the players. Five minutes later he was there belting SUPA SUPA DAVE SUPA SUPA DAVE SUPA DAVEY WORRALL.

Thankfully, the booing is surprisingly low; its a loud noise but not that many bother with it. The number of people applauding/doing nothing is well in excess of those booing Port Vale players. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...