onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Booing your own players....

cactuselves

8 minutes ago, geosname said:

You could of course turn that argument on its head and say taking the knee disrupts the mood of the supporters so the team are not helping themselves. They have the right to do it but the counter argument would be even if they have the right should they.

I suppose it depends on how you define supporting the team. It's difficult, in my oppinion, to support a team not doing what you came to support them for, so unless they are playing are you really supporting them?

I would suggest if the team were out doing "good works" that would be supporting the club not necessarily the team.

As I have said it's not something I am prone to doing but each to their own.

Supporting is in its very definition, providing encouragement and wanting the team to succeed. We are the supporters and we all want the team to win on the pitch. We want the players to give everything for us. Booing the team is not encouragement. 

Do you think that the booing, immediately before kick off, has a positive effect on the team when they are about to play?

Advert

2 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Supporting is in its very definition, providing encouragement and wanting the team to succeed. We are the supporters and we all want the team to win on the pitch. We want the players to give everything for us. Booing the team is not encouragement. 

Do you think that the booing, immediately before kick off, has a positive effect on the team when they are about to play?

Supporting isn't simply defined as encouraging but I see your point. It could mean paying your money to be entertained watching the game but we then get into defining the differences between supporter and fan.

Whether players get discouraged by the crowd would depend on the individual player.

Personaly I have always performed better when told I couldn't do something than when I got my ego stroked. That's just me, I have never had the desire to play football or be part of a team.

I can remember on numerous occasions a slow handclap breaking out in the 60's/ 70's  gathering momentum, but can any one remember someone playing the last post on a trumpet in the Bycars during one game or am I dreaming ?
Doesn't sound like a Vale fan to exaggerate like that?

2 hours ago, blackdog said:

I can remember on numerous occasions a slow handclap breaking out in the 60's/ 70's  gathering momentum, but can any one remember someone playing the last post on a trumpet in the Bycars during one game or am I dreaming ?

I remember the slow handclap. I thought it was because of excessive time-wasting by the opposition? Or, in protest at the numerous shocking referee decisions we had to suffer (nothing changes!); or, i suppose, it might have been that Vale were very slow to introduce subs to try to change the dynamics of the game? But, i think that was less than the other 2 reasons?

Contrary to some on here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjTwLC56PLyAhXzoFwKHWxbC5oQFnoECCgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.cambridge.org%2Fdictionary%2Fenglish%2Fsupport&usg=AOvVaw2x9GF5Y7Wch0_yXuticnkG "to give encouragement and approval to someone or something because you want the person or thing to succeed:" Yes - I've booed Vale teams before...but only after the game, and never aimed at just one player - it's a team game!

Booing individual Vale players is a no no at Vale Park or anywhere for that matter but I can understand at times some fans booing the Vale team at the end of a game out of frustration.  

I don't subscribe to the notion that a player or a team doesn't try and hence  "Deserves"  to be booed, Vale lose a game usually cause the other team play better on the day or have a bit more luck at crucial times, it's never for the want of trying.

Screaming abuse/obscenities at an individual Vale player anywhere is beyond the bounds of acceptable behavior IMHO.

39 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I remember the slow handclap. I thought it was because of excessive time-wasting by the opposition? Or, in protest at the numerous shocking referee decisions we had to suffer (nothing changes!); or, i suppose, it might have been that Vale were very slow to introduce subs to try to change the dynamics of the game? But, i think that was less than the other 2 reasons?

Contrary to some on here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjTwLC56PLyAhXzoFwKHWxbC5oQFnoECCgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.cambridge.org%2Fdictionary%2Fenglish%2Fsupport&usg=AOvVaw2x9GF5Y7Wch0_yXuticnkG "to give encouragement and approval to someone or something because you want the person or thing to succeed:" Yes - I've booed Vale teams before...but only after the game, and never aimed at just one player - it's a team game!

1. 1.
    bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.
    "the dome was supported by a hundred white columns"

2. 2.
    give assistance to, especially financially; enable to function or act.

9 hours ago, geosname said:
  1. 1.
    bear all or part of the weight of; hold up.
    "the dome was supported by a hundred white columns"

2. 2.
    give assistance to, especially financially; enable to function or act.

Bear in mind that these are alternative meanings for the same word. Its the same with the word Left.

The left hand side of the stand were booing loudly -or- they left their sense at the turnstiles.

Most would argue that the initial definition of encourage and approve is closest to what a football supporter does. Although the other definitions could be applied in some sense.

However.... Encourage and approve, bear weight and hold up, assist (esp financially) and enable to function or act.

Does Booing the team fit with any of them?

ALL of the definitions are defining a way of getting behind, aiding to progress, helping to achieve, taking the strain.

The original question was, particularly at this stage of the season and given the current circumstances at the club, does booing the team have any merit?

I think we all know the answer.

Archived