onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Booing your own players....

cactuselves

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on the merits of booing your own team.

I am not one for telling people what they can and cant do and if people want to show displeasure then it is their god given human right, but.....

Is there any benefit in booing your the team at this stage in the season ? ......Any?

Does it motivate them? Does it make them try harder? Does it make them feel that they have got our support? Does it show them that we are with them in  difficult times and good? Does it spur them on to play better?

There have been a number of occasions this season when fans (In the paddock particularly) have booed the team.

Some booing at End of match vs Tranmere (!! I was absolutely staggered by this to be honest.)

Some (slightly more) booing at End of match vs Carlisle

Loud Booing at taking the knee vs Rochdale (Before kick off) (There have been lots of debates about this, my personal view is that OUR players are doing it because they feel that it is right and we support OUR team so should respect them for that, forget all the other stuff).

Booing Rodney after his first touch vs Rochdale (!!) and louder booing several times after

Booing the team off vs Rochdale.

I personally do not understand it at all. Particularly given that we have a new squad, relatively young players who have just signed for us, some players who haven't played much in front of our crowd a new manager who hasnt experience Vale Park much before - they all want to know that they are at a good club, with good supporters.

In the past, if a player has made a mistake, the fans have got right behind them and lifted their spirits. We should be helping our team not the opposition.

Advert

In my opinion anyone who boos our own players before kick off and booing our own player after a first touch is no real fan/supporter of Port Vale.

I can sort of understand booing when there is a clear lack of effort or care.

I can't really understand the boos at this stage of the season and don't think it would help things either.

2 minutes ago, ginge said:

In my opinion anyone who boos our own players before kick off and booing our own player after a first touch is no real fan/supporter of Port Vale.

I can sort of understand booing when there is a clear lack of effort or care.

Agreed.

On the second bit, if we were 4 nil down at home to Oldham, in the relegation places after 3/4 of a season and they have all downed tools then yes. But three home games in?

I was in the Railway Paddock and everyone around me clapped the taking of the knee. One loud mouth when we had the minutes silence, but I never heard any booing. I do leave a couple of minutes before the end so I can beat the traffic and get home. It’ll just promote negativity, I think this can some times be measured by home and away performances and results.

I was in the Railway Paddock and everyone around me clapped the taking of the knee. One loud mouth when we had the minutes silence, but I never heard any booing. I do leave a couple of minutes before the end so I can beat the traffic and get home. It’ll just promote negativity, I think this can some times be measured by home and away performances and results.

Loads in the Railway Stand booed when they took the knee.

Im not generally in favour of booing players although I suppose it's the only way to show dissatisfaction in the moment.

As for booing when taking the knee before kick off I see that as disapproving of the action not necessarily the team, and although I wouldn't do it myself people are allowed to protest legally. For every action there is a reaction etc.

3 hours ago, cactuselves said:

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on the merits of booing your own team.

I am not one for telling people what they can and cant do and if people want to show displeasure then it is their god given human right, but.....

Is there any benefit in booing your the team at this stage in the season ? ......Any?

Does it motivate them? Does it make them try harder? Does it make them feel that they have got our support? Does it show them that we are with them in  difficult times and good? Does it spur them on to play better?

There have been a number of occasions this season when fans (In the paddock particularly) have booed the team.

Some booing at End of match vs Tranmere (!! I was absolutely staggered by this to be honest.)

Some (slightly more) booing at End of match vs Carlisle

Loud Booing at taking the knee vs Rochdale (Before kick off) (There have been lots of debates about this, my personal view is that OUR players are doing it because they feel that it is right and we support OUR team so should respect them for that, forget all the other stuff).

Booing Rodney after his first touch vs Rochdale (!!) and louder booing several times after

Booing the team off vs Rochdale.

I personally do not understand it at all. Particularly given that we have a new squad, relatively young players who have just signed for us, some players who haven't played much in front of our crowd a new manager who hasnt experience Vale Park much before - they all want to know that they are at a good club, with good supporters.

In the past, if a player has made a mistake, the fans have got right behind them and lifted their spirits. We should be helping our team not the opposition.

Booing is a very negative thing do didn't agree with any phase at any time of the booing wonder what Jamie Proctor thought as he was tremendous I clapped them off you cannot just applaud when you win if you can see the positives in a game you should encourage non stop and get behind every player . Unfortunately I've being told I cannot keep shouting as eventually my over passion going lead to something fatal (my lads telling I'm 50 not 16)So I'm trying to curb my constantly encouraging loudly but there's nothing good about booing and shows the younger ones especially if at the end of games your a bad loser but in life at times you lose so get over it .

In future how is booing the knee going benefit Port Vale it isn't so do not do it in my opinion ,yes its politics being brought into sport but to me by doing it booing that is you are disrespecting our coloured players and how's that going motivate them to want do a fantastic job for the  Vale it isn't have a bit of respect .

UTV 

1 minute ago, geosname said:

As for booing when taking the knee before kick off I see that as disapproving of the action not necessarily the team, and although I wouldn't do it myself people are allowed to protest legally. For every action there is a reaction etc.

Disagree. Those booing that are no fans/supporters of our team in my opinion. Should we boo a minute silence if we disagree with it? It's disrespectful to something our players are supporting. And for the record I don't personally agree with taking the knee.

5 minutes ago, geosname said:

Politics or merits of taking the knee aside, it is the team taking the action, so it is booing the team.

A 'boo' isn't supportive in my opinion, doesn't mean that people cant do it, I just don't think they are helping the team (at all) when they do.

2 minutes ago, ginge said:

Disagree. Those booing that are no fans/supporters of our team in my opinion. Should we boo a minute silence if we disagree with it? It's disrespectful to something our players are supporting. And for the record I don't personally agree with taking the knee.

Im not suggesting that people should do anything except what they feel is right. People have the right to boo a minutes silence but it seems if they dissagree they don't observe it and keep talking, phoning, texting etc.

I only show reverence to the silence in November but I wouldn't disrupt other like events intentionally. 

2 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Politics or merits of taking the knee aside, it is the team taking the action, so it is booing the team.

A 'boo' isn't supportive in my opinion, doesn't mean that people cant do it, I just don't think they are helping the team (at all) when they do.

You could of course turn that argument on its head and say taking the knee disrupts the mood of the supporters so the team are not helping themselves. They have the right to do it but the counter argument would be even if they have the right should they.

I suppose it depends on how you define supporting the team. It's difficult, in my oppinion, to support a team not doing what you came to support them for, so unless they are playing are you really supporting them?

I would suggest if the team were out doing "good works" that would be supporting the club not necessarily the team.

As I have said it's not something I am prone to doing but each to their own.

Was pleased that the booing was eclipsed by applause for the knee. You could hear the booing but it was less than I'd expected.

Some people have taken the view that, if we're not playing brilliantly, they must boo at both half time and full time. It's up to them, but it does seem like they're waiting for stuff to kick off about (very certain that the Wonder of Port Vale does no favours for this). I've booed Port Vale teams on occasion before, but only when I feel they're taking the mick out of our football club with a complete lack of desire and serious wake up calls are needed. 

Coming to the conclusion that there is a not insignificant section of our fanbase that is far too demanding. They tend to react to good stuff on the pitch, as opposed to pre-empting it and creating a good atmosphere for the players to feed off. The players have to do something good and then the fans respond, not vice versa. If they don't win, they get booed. 

Archived