onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Are we being 'entertained' ?

Birches Head Fred

There has been plenty of negativity regarding recent results, none moreso than last Saturdays defeat at the hands of Rochdale and players underperforming.

The funny thing from my point of view is that I came away from that game happier and in a much better frame of mind than the previous home game against Carlisle.

I thought Carlisle used delaying tactics, feigned injury and generally did anything they could to stifle the game, aided by a ref who simply allowed them to get away with it. Converesly, Rochdale came to make a game of it, played some good football, didn't park-the-bus, neither did they sit back and hold out for a draw after our seond equaliser.

Fans go to matches to be entertained, I realise it's business and people's lives/wages depend on results but the game just isn't the same anymore. To be honest I'd rather watch us play Rochdale and lose than Carlisle and draw - daft as it may sound but the way I saw it the game could have gone either way after the Vale scored their second and at least I was entertained with the fare on offer.

Don't get me wrong - I want Vale to win every game, but I'm old enough and wise enough to know different, there's plenty of times I've come home from a game we have won thinking it was a poor game, and plenty of times we've drawn nil-nil and it's been a cracker. 

It's all too easy to criticise players when we concede, the opposition fans do likewise when we score, but it's rare to actually accept that other teams score well worked, good goals'.

It's the same with players, wer'e 4th division but some folk seem to think these players should be World beaters, they play for the Vale and other clubs in our division because that's the level they are at.

We don't seem to give them any leeway at all. 

On a slightly different plane, I went to the Fanzone on Saturday for the first time, it's a great idea and full credit goes to the club for putting it on. Long may it continue, although I don't see how it will go on on a cold night in December.

Just my opinion - as usual

Advert

There has been plenty of negativity regarding recent results, none moreso than last Saturdays defeat at the hands of Rochdale and players underperforming.
The funny thing from my point of view is that I came away from that game happier and in a much better frame of mind than the previous home game against Carlisle.
I thought Carlisle used delaying tactics, feigned injury and generally did anything they could to stifle the game, aided by a ref who simply allowed them to get away with it. Converesly, Rochdale came to make a game of it, played some good football, didn't park-the-bus, neither did they sit back and hold out for a draw after our seond equaliser.
Fans go to matches to be entertained, I realise it's business and people's lives/wages depend on results but the game just isn't the same anymore. To be honest I'd rather watch us play Rochdale and lose than Carlisle and draw - daft as it may sound but the way I saw it the game could have gone either way after the Vale scored their second and at least I was entertained with the fare on offer.
Don't get me wrong - I want Vale to win every game, but I'm old enough and wise enough to know different, there's plenty of times I've come home from a game we have won thinking it was a poor game, and plenty of times we've drawn nil-nil and it's been a cracker. 
It's all too easy to criticise players when we concede, the opposition fans do likewise when we score, but it's rare to actually accept that other teams score well worked, good goals'.
It's the same with players, wer'e 4th division but some folk seem to think these players should be World beaters, they play for the Vale and other clubs in our division because that's the level they are at.
On a slightly different plane, I went to the Fanzone on Saturday for the first time, it's a great idea and full credit goes to the club for putting it on. Long may it continue, although I don't see how it will go on on a cold night in December.

In response to the thread title, absolutely. I've said in another thread that I've been out of my seat more times already this season than in the previous 4 combined. This team is streets ahead of what we've had for years, that is clear despite things not quite clicking as yet. Contrary to some opinions on here, I think we've had a steady start, given the opening fixtures, not the terrible start that some on here would have you believe. Once we click and find our rhythm, we'll be up there by the end of the season. Give me what I've seen so far this season than the 'hoof, lose possession, repeat for 90 minutes' that we've had for 4 years

I'm with you 100%, I want us to win but would rather see us lose playing in a game full of exciting, expansive attacking football than a load of 1-0 wins with 2 chances a game.

They should do away with goal difference and go back to goals for to decide places. I can't understand why we encourage dull defensive football. 

43 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Yep.....wot you said Fred! Still HATE it and it hurts when we lose but am old enough and supported this lot long enough to know we are not going to win every game.....whatever your expectations are as REAL Vale fans not "happy clappers"!!!

I think we will click and somebody will get a pasting at some stage....don't know when obviously. I also enjoyed the discipline of the win at FGR....that entertained me in a different way.

I'd rather be entertained myself and looking back at the two home games I have been too  I enjoyed them both yet we lost both (Sunderland league Cup and Rochdale last sat also the home game v Carlisle watched on ifollow paid a extra tenner while lad used me season ticket as I was due in work that night .

I know winning football is what we all  want see but like the first post says we are league two for a reason but I've seen very promising signs in the games I've seen we have players who can pass the ball so well and some of the balls through to Worrall long range ones have being majestic there's no reason why we cannot win a good percentage of games in a row once we click I've seen signs already that we could well do at some point very soon .

ON Saturday v Swindon away why not there 4th and v Harrogate next Sat there top yet I feel we could beat both but even if they do not it will not be long till we are reeling off win after win in my opinion .

Think the entertainment value will increase even more so when we gel futhermore .

The Vale are a very good team in my opinion and will get better as the season progresses (that's it I've put my head on the line with that statement ).

Good post Birches Head Fred UTV 

Archived