Devante Rodney

Breadwinner

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Apparently Clarke has said that Rodney has Championship/Premier League clubs watching him.

He says he didn't have a good game on Saturday but there's a reason he's being scouted. No reason to lie.

It's inevitable that a player of 23 with his game-changing abilities will be getting looked after scoring 11 open play goals for a pretty poor team last year. 

Alas; he fell over on Saturday and needs a 50 post thread discussing his merits.

I very much like Devante. He potentially has the full package--build, strength and speed.  With additional experience and, assuming he has the tough mentality required, I believe he can really go places. However, I'd like Devante to score a hatful more goals during his current contract with PV before leaving for any higher level club!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beech said:

In fairness he doesn't start every week of late because of too many poor performances. Nobody gave Rodney more credit than myself last season. I'm not trying to start a crusade against the bloke. But he was shocking on Saturday and a few fans booing/moaning shouldn't be blamed. He needs to look at himself and hopefully he's doing that.

But you said earlier in the thread if he made an impact in a game you'd be full of praise - he scored against Stevenage and didn't start the next game. So he can score, you will praise him but he's played badly so he's dropped, makes no sense.

Clarke has said today that Rodney needs an arm around him, encouragement is key. This is why I've been saying hold off on the criticism and support him, I don't think it's that difficult to understand. It feels like you're digging your heels in now.

44 minutes ago, Rocky said:

But you said earlier in the thread if he made an impact in a game you'd be full of praise - he scored against Stevenage and didn't start the next game. So he can score, you will praise him but he's played badly so he's dropped, makes no sense.

Clarke has said today that Rodney needs an arm around him, encouragement is key. This is why I've been saying hold off on the criticism and support him, I don't think it's that difficult to understand. It feels like you're digging your heels in now.

Putting an arm around a player is fine sometimes, if it works. But now and again they also need a rocket or a boot up their arse. His performances on the whole have left something to be desired for a bit of a while now. Hopefully that chances sooner rather than later, no matter  how that comes about.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

I think for the benefit of the club and him he has to up his game now,we all know he has the potential to do it but it's a big season for him,turn it on now then he could get his move come January when clubs can pay silly money depending on their league position or at the end of the season when he only has 12mths left on his deal(thats when the club would want to cash in at a guess,if we want to of course)

I agree with Beech . Rodney hasn’t done anything special in his time at Vale. He played better on Saturday, but overall he is not a natural footballer or goal scorer. He can hold the ball up , but then he either plays it backwards to a player in midfield, or he loses it and gives up on it . Then he wanders off pointing in some direction. 
Still, it’s early days yet , and he did score 12 goals last season , but he needs to sharpen up before it’s too late. Barging into an opponent isn’t going to help much with that.  He was lucky not to be sent off. He’ll probably score a hat-trick on Saturday , and shut me up. I hope he does. Maybe it’s only a matter of time. Good luck to him anyway. UTV 

• Like 1

I thought Rodney was pretty good v Swindon. Their defence didn't know what to do with him at times. 

A player with more confidence probably shoots earlier when he rounds the keeper, but to have a player capable of getting behind like that is really useful. He had a good effort earlier when he shot from the edge of the box too.

If everything goes perfectly, Rodney could be a superb footballer. At worst, he's a player who has proven he can score 10-12 goals at this level and can change games/terrify defences with the most damaging pace I've personally seen from a Vale player. He's a useful asset. He doesn't need to be 'anything special', but there's a slight chance he could be if we're patient. Proctor and Rodney should be good for around 10 goals each, minimum, this year.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

He was better against Swindon, much better, but after his Rochdale performance the only way was up. But now he's banned for three games anyway, silly boy. Patience will be the key in regards to Devante, and he'll continue to frustrate for a while yet.

I just want him to give 100% regardless, and nobody can change my mind when I say that I felt he didn't do that in our last home game. He didn't want it anywhere near enough.

Edited by Beech