Devante Rodney

Breadwinner

2 hours ago, philmpv said:
2 hours ago, geoff1 said:
get sponsors-jcb??????

I think that Norman had something along those lines lined up before the protests started. Forget who the sponsor was but it was defo in the pipeline

It really, really wasn't.

I had a good chat with Ol' Norm regarding this at the time and it was concocted to damage the protests + the people involved, specifically the head of the Supporters Club. 

I got an email from said 'sponsor' who was clearly a pal of Normans (very similar 'no punctuation at any point ever' writing style)

I won't expose the company in question as it's unfair but, looking at the company's accounts, they simply wouldn't have had the capital to sponsor much at all. The funds Norman mentioned to me RE sponsorship were in excess of the company's cash + assets by a very considerable margin.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

It really, really wasn't.

I had a good chat with Ol' Norm regarding this at the time and it was concocted to damage the protests + the people involved, specifically the head of the Supporters Club. 

I got an email from said 'sponsor' who was clearly a pal of Normans (very similar 'no punctuation at any point ever' writing style)

I won't expose the company in question as it's unfair but, looking at the company's accounts, they simply wouldn't have had the capital to sponsor much at all. The funds Norman mentioned to me RE sponsorship were in excess of the company's cash + assets by a very considerable margin.

typical smurf crap

I think the criticism of Devante is born out of a number of poor performances this season not just his 45 minutes against Rochdale.
In the second match on the trot he as found himself in a position to either score or square to an unmarked player in front of goal and both occasions as failed to do either.

• Like 1

I said this the other week rodney hasn't scored much under Clarke as manager. In the 25 to 30 matches not sure on the exact amount of games rodney has only scored 3 goals. 2 goals last season against Colchester and Newport and the one this season against stevenage. If he continues at that scoring rate then he is only going get around 6 goals this season and not the 15 to 20 people were expecting.

It will be interesting if Proctor who has had a superb start can continue his good scoring form as he hasn't scored more than 8 in a season before so he may end up going on a dry run of carry on scoring a hatful.

37 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

I said this the other week rodney hasn't scored much under Clarke as manager. In the 25 to 30 matches not sure on the exact amount of games rodney has only scored 3 goals. 2 goals last season against Colchester and Newport and the one this season against stevenage. If he continues at that scoring rate then he is only going get around 6 goals this season and not the 15 to 20 people were expecting.

It will be interesting if Proctor who has had a superb start can continue his good scoring form as he hasn't scored more than 8 in a season before so he may end up going on a dry run of carry on scoring a hatful.

Very interesting. I think that just proves sometimes it’s not the strikers being out of form, it’s the: service, formation, where they get most touches of the ball, other jobs to do ie. tracking back.

I’m not saying he’s on fire obviously, but there’s so many factors and although I think DC is doing a great job and I hope he’s a long-termer I think he’s stifling a few players.

42 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Think as long as your contributing you do not have score as a striker and as long as you win the games personally not bothered who scores lets look at the  games the lads played in v Northampton should have a assist in that game I didn't see the Tranmere  game so cannot comment v Carlisle he seemed be trying too hard and got crowded out after initial decent footwork v Stevenage scored a good strikers goal v Forest Green came on didn't watch it and sat come on didn't have any real impact and played like he was depressed but not helped by fans showing obvious disappointment in his efforts and he probably went off the pitch was disappointed in his own efforts after all we are all human we all want to do a great job but its not always possible sometimes everything just goes against you .

But when things do you fight harder you strive more you believe in your own strengths and show folk what you all about .

I think we will see a different lad when he next takes to the  field .

• Like 1

Less than a minute into his substitute appearance on Saturday, Rodders first touch of the ball is a bad one.  Fans are exasperated, some apoplectic with rage.  It was all downhill from there.  What do people expect when they’re on his case straight away to such a degree?  Morons.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Less than a minute into his substitute appearance on Saturday, Rodders first touch of the ball is a bad one.  Fans are exasperated, some apoplectic with rage.  It was all downhill from there.  What do people expect when they’re on his case straight away to such a degree?  Morons.

This is the point I was making, Ray. This lifts off the pages of FB group and forums and filters into the stands and before you know it, every tiny error he is being booed. It affects the player, their confidence and if we are supporters, shouldn't we be supporting him and wanting him to succeed instead of writing him off already? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

If the reaction of a few, and a few moans and groans, has an effect on his performance that much then he's probably in the wrong profession.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beech said:

If the reaction of a few, and a few moans and groans, has an effect on his performance that much then he's probably in the wrong profession.

But if you're going to boo and single out a player after a few below-par performances, then you're probably not a supporter. There isn't much encouragement is there? Where is the support here?? 

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

But if you're going to boo and single out a player after a few below-par performances, then you're probably not a supporter. There isn't much encouragement is there? Where is the support here?? 

I didn't hear booing myself, certainly not at the start. Some groans maybe. But he's hardy the first player to be on the end of that from the stands.

I just don't think we should start blaming the fans for his inept performance. 

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

I didn't hear booing myself, certainly not at the start. Some groans maybe. But he's hardy the first player to be on the end of that from the stands.

I just don't think we should start blaming the fans for his inept performance. 

He has been singled out, this thread is a great example of it.

And don't twist my words, nobody is saying the the fans are to blame and you know that isn't what is being said, very cute. We are supporters, if a player is having a bad spell we should be supporting and encouraging over the counterproductive singling out at the 6 league games in stage of which he hasn't even played every minute of those 6 league games.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rocky said:

He has been singled out, this thread is a great example of it.

And don't twist my words, nobody is saying the the fans are to blame and you know that isn't what is being said, very cute. We are supporters, if a player is having a bad spell we should be supporting and encouraging over the counterproductive singling out at the 6 league games in stage of which he hasn't even played every minute of those 6 league games.

He's being called out because he was woeful. Not just his actual play, but his attitude seemed completely wrong. Why is a guy of his build getting knocked to the floor constantly? He certainly wasn't alone in being poor for us on the day. But I've also seen the likes of Benning take plenty of mostly fair criticism. People still act like Rodney is an 18 year old rookie for some reason. He's 23. It's very strange.

Edited by Beech

Devante is not the finished product.He needs work on decision making.The coaching staff should be on top of that.Get off his case.Booers stay at home.His goals,not Saint Tom’s,got us into mid table last season.

• Like 2

Its difficult switching from playing out wide to up front. Rodney has played most of his career wide left and looks at his best there. 

Central defenders tend have different aspects to their game than full/wing backs, and you are usually tightly marked rather than getting the run at players and don't have the benefit of going on the outside.

Rodney has spent most of his career on the left and all of his best performances for us have been there. 

You only have to look at someone like Antonio at West Ham who was an established player out wide but took a couple of years of poor performances up front before he adjusted and became the player he is today.

Rodney may not adjust to playing up front but when he is there it alters the way the opposition play as they art petrified of his pace and drop deeper. Even if he plays badly it can benefit the team by pushing their defence deeper and the extra space it creates in midfield. 

At least when Proctor wins a flick on, even if he doesn't get on the end of it Rodney is nearby as opposed to the opposite side of the pitch like Wilson always seems to be.

2 hours ago, Beech said:

He's being called out because he was woeful. Not just his actual play, but his attitude seemed completely wrong. Why is a guy of his build getting knocked to the floor constantly? He certainly wasn't alone in being poor for us on the day. But I've also seen the likes of Benning take plenty of mostly fair criticism. People still act like Rodney is an 18 year old rookie for some reason. He's 23. It's very strange.

For all we know it could be a managerial decision to draw fouls, set pieces into the box with how good Proctor is in the air, he was going down easy. Worrall took a knock early in the second half and Clarke had made all the allowed subs so he had to stay on the pitch but he couldn't get up the pitch as much which gave Rochdale's defence an easier ride, more numbers to suffocate Rodney. Also let's not forget, Rodney scored against Stevenage, doesn't start against Forest Green, doesn't start against Rochdale. Players need nurturing differently and he must be thinking "I've scored but I've lost my starting place.". This is where Clarke has to manage him the right way and say the right things to him but fans getting on his back at this stage will not help the situation.

3 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

Devante is not the finished product.He needs work on decision making.The coaching staff should be on top of that.Get off his case.Booers stay at home.His goals,not Saint Tom’s,got us into mid table last season.

That's a fair assessment and those people who say 23 isn't young are wrong, certainly in terms of strikers who tend to be more likely to be at the top of their game around 28/29 yrs. He is still learning, and I for one, hope that he's given time at Vale Park to hone up he potential I think he possesses.

5 hours ago, Beech said:

It may or may not have been only “a few”, and if it was just a few it was very obvious from where I sat, but it was the lads first touch and only snowballed from there.

As a pro footballer I would expect “fans” to understand that when a player comes off the bench it may take at least a few touches/minutes to get up to speed. Anyone who’s played the game at any level would understand that, and for those that haven’t it’s actually quite a simple theory to grasp.

• Like 1