onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Devante Rodney

Breadwinner

9 minutes ago, Beech said:

If the reaction of a few, and a few moans and groans, has an effect on his performance that much then he's probably in the wrong profession.

But if you're going to boo and single out a player after a few below-par performances, then you're probably not a supporter. There isn't much encouragement is there? Where is the support here?? 

Advert

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

But if you're going to boo and single out a player after a few below-par performances, then you're probably not a supporter. There isn't much encouragement is there? Where is the support here?? 

I didn't hear booing myself, certainly not at the start. Some groans maybe. But he's hardy the first player to be on the end of that from the stands.

I just don't think we should start blaming the fans for his inept performance. 

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

I didn't hear booing myself, certainly not at the start. Some groans maybe. But he's hardy the first player to be on the end of that from the stands.

I just don't think we should start blaming the fans for his inept performance. 

He has been singled out, this thread is a great example of it.

And don't twist my words, nobody is saying the the fans are to blame and you know that isn't what is being said, very cute. We are supporters, if a player is having a bad spell we should be supporting and encouraging over the counterproductive singling out at the 6 league games in stage of which he hasn't even played every minute of those 6 league games.

17 minutes ago, Rocky said:

He has been singled out, this thread is a great example of it.

And don't twist my words, nobody is saying the the fans are to blame and you know that isn't what is being said, very cute. We are supporters, if a player is having a bad spell we should be supporting and encouraging over the counterproductive singling out at the 6 league games in stage of which he hasn't even played every minute of those 6 league games.

He's being called out because he was woeful. Not just his actual play, but his attitude seemed completely wrong. Why is a guy of his build getting knocked to the floor constantly? He certainly wasn't alone in being poor for us on the day. But I've also seen the likes of Benning take plenty of mostly fair criticism. People still act like Rodney is an 18 year old rookie for some reason. He's 23. It's very strange.

Its difficult switching from playing out wide to up front. Rodney has played most of his career wide left and looks at his best there. 

Central defenders tend have different aspects to their game than full/wing backs, and you are usually tightly marked rather than getting the run at players and don't have the benefit of going on the outside.

Rodney has spent most of his career on the left and all of his best performances for us have been there. 

You only have to look at someone like Antonio at West Ham who was an established player out wide but took a couple of years of poor performances up front before he adjusted and became the player he is today.

Rodney may not adjust to playing up front but when he is there it alters the way the opposition play as they art petrified of his pace and drop deeper. Even if he plays badly it can benefit the team by pushing their defence deeper and the extra space it creates in midfield. 

At least when Proctor wins a flick on, even if he doesn't get on the end of it Rodney is nearby as opposed to the opposite side of the pitch like Wilson always seems to be.

2 hours ago, Beech said:

He's being called out because he was woeful. Not just his actual play, but his attitude seemed completely wrong. Why is a guy of his build getting knocked to the floor constantly? He certainly wasn't alone in being poor for us on the day. But I've also seen the likes of Benning take plenty of mostly fair criticism. People still act like Rodney is an 18 year old rookie for some reason. He's 23. It's very strange.

For all we know it could be a managerial decision to draw fouls, set pieces into the box with how good Proctor is in the air, he was going down easy. Worrall took a knock early in the second half and Clarke had made all the allowed subs so he had to stay on the pitch but he couldn't get up the pitch as much which gave Rochdale's defence an easier ride, more numbers to suffocate Rodney. Also let's not forget, Rodney scored against Stevenage, doesn't start against Forest Green, doesn't start against Rochdale. Players need nurturing differently and he must be thinking "I've scored but I've lost my starting place.". This is where Clarke has to manage him the right way and say the right things to him but fans getting on his back at this stage will not help the situation.

3 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

Devante is not the finished product.He needs work on decision making.The coaching staff should be on top of that.Get off his case.Booers stay at home.His goals,not Saint Tom’s,got us into mid table last season.

That's a fair assessment and those people who say 23 isn't young are wrong, certainly in terms of strikers who tend to be more likely to be at the top of their game around 28/29 yrs. He is still learning, and I for one, hope that he's given time at Vale Park to hone up he potential I think he possesses.

5 hours ago, Beech said:

If the reaction of a few, and a few moans and groans, has an effect on his performance that much then he's probably in the wrong profession.

It may or may not have been only “a few”, and if it was just a few it was very obvious from where I sat, but it was the lads first touch and only snowballed from there.

As a pro footballer I would expect “fans” to understand that when a player comes off the bench it may take at least a few touches/minutes to get up to speed. Anyone who’s played the game at any level would understand that, and for those that haven’t it’s actually quite a simple theory to grasp.

4 hours ago, Beech said:

How is it possible to judge his attitude from his first touch about 30 seconds in?  Did he jog onto the pitch a bit too slowly for you?  😂😂

I really, really want Devante to come good. Mostly because he's still got 2 years to run on his contract, he has all the physical attributes to have a good EFL career, and because he's only 23. But, I don't think he has that footballing instinct/brain - and that's not something you can coach. You can put in all the hours possible on the training pitch, but you can't teach a player to make the right split second decision if they're just not tuned in. 

He scored some nice goals last season and looked really dangerous when picking the ball up from deep and running at players and was really looking forward to seeing him in the flesh this season. However, from what I've seen he doesn't know how to read the game (how to time his runs for flick ons) and lacks awareness when in dangerous situations (making the wrong choice). 

I think the best avenue for him is down the wing - where his job would be to isolate a full back, beat them for pace and fizz balls into the box - but I don't see how he fits into our system unless he's dropping deep on the left side of a front three, and I don't see us employing that formation too often.

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

It may or may not have been only “a few”, and if it was just a few it was very obvious from where I sat, but it was the lads first touch and only snowballed from there.

As a pro footballer I would expect “fans” to understand that when a player comes off the bench it may take at least a few touches/minutes to get up to speed. Anyone who’s played the game at any level would understand that, and for those that haven’t it’s actually quite a simple theory to grasp.

Rodney's first touch is often like a pass and so it should come as no surprise to anyone. But his overall performance was abysmal. None more so than him constantly getting knocked off the ball by players who simply wanted it far more than he did on the day. Poor technique is one thing. But a guy his size getting knocked off it time and time again, and not doing anything to win it back... That's pretty shocking in my book.

On 04/09/2021 at 22:23, Paul6754 said:

Rodney is Dave, he can be brilliant one moment but not so good the next, I'd rather him be in the match day squad than not.

Trying to work out his best position/role is key.

Posted the above on the Rochdale thread.

Vale fans have seen Devante for a whole season and should have a fair idea of what he's about on the pitch, what  he's capable of and what he needs to work on. He's still young and can improve and now is the time to encourage him as it can't be easy being a starter one week and not the next.

2 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Posted the above on the Rochdale thread.

Vale fans have seen Devante for a whole season and should have a fair idea of what he's about on the pitch, what  he's capable of and what he needs to work on. He's still young and can improve and now is the time to encourage him as it can't be easy being a starter one week and not the next.

In fairness he doesn't start every week of late because of too many poor performances. Nobody gave Rodney more credit than myself last season. I'm not trying to start a crusade against the bloke. But he was shocking on Saturday and a few fans booing/moaning shouldn't be blamed. He needs to look at himself and hopefully he's doing that.

Archived