onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Devante Rodney

Breadwinner

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Don't think we ought to be creating single player threads it's a collective team effort , not a pop at you VFIA as understand your passion and frustration.

An absolute enigma is Rodders, sublime to the ridiculous with little in between. Didn't Clarke himself say that Rodders is almost ' too nice '. Needs a bit more devilment and dare i say it , dirty rough house play in his game. Very frustrating player.

Now my last point and this forum is all about opinions and hopefully respectful ones .

But from a personal perspective i've read since Saturday that Benning and now Rodney have given one of the worst performances EVER seen in a Vale shirt. Clearly not everyone has gone as long as myself, i'm 54 and my dad took me as a nipper.

But even in the recent past we have had Jules, Mills, Tanser, Macintosh, Paterson and numerous others.

Is it not a tad knee jerk following a poor defeat to come out with such a proclamation.

Older posters will wince at the names Martin Henderson, Jeff Johnson, Tommy Gore, yet apparently Benning and Rodney are up there with the worst ever .

Completely agree. The worst performance in a vale shirt comment is nothing but knee jerk. Not sure why people stop there, they may as well go the whole hog with their exaggerations. We've seen a lot worse dross up the vale than any of Saturday's individual performances.

Having said that Benning has been a disappointment for me as I thought he was one of our best signings on paper and Rodney too as I thought he'd be our highest scorer. Both can improve and I am confident they will. 

Advert

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Don't think we ought to be creating single player threads it's a collective team effort , not a pop at you VFIA as understand your passion and frustration.

An absolute enigma is Rodders, sublime to the ridiculous with little in between. Didn't Clarke himself say that Rodders is almost ' too nice '. Needs a bit more devilment and dare i say it , dirty rough house play in his game. Very frustrating player.

Now my last point and this forum is all about opinions and hopefully respectful ones .

But from a personal perspective i've read since Saturday that Benning and now Rodney have given one of the worst performances EVER seen in a Vale shirt. Clearly not everyone has gone as long as myself, i'm 54 and my dad took me as a nipper.

But even in the recent past we have had Jules, Mills, Tanser, Macintosh, Paterson and numerous others.

Is it not a tad knee jerk following a poor defeat to come out with such a proclamation.

Older posters will wince at the names Martin Henderson, Jeff Johnson, Tommy Gore, yet apparently Benning and Rodney are up there with the worst ever .

Too much time on me hands to be honest just had a lovely 11 nights off work the thread was not to single Rodney out  it was to encourage him as he is a talent and I want that talent to grow at Vale and get Vale in the top 3 positions in league .

After all these years of commenting on Vale you think I wouldn't but I'm passionate I want Vale win ,I clapped them off sat but could not forget how quickly we turned from superb to inadequate ,I just do not get it.

I like Rodney though and I like majority of the others I'd like be come end of season loving them all and if I do not post they are doing something right more than wrong but yes I need to stop being obsessed with the Vales fortunes just be nice for us follow up a magnificent performance with another one conceding 3 at home is disgraceful really .

UTV 

I do think our ball retention generally isn’t great at home and I think that tough old bumpy clay pitch is a factor.
We need a new pitch as that will reward passing, technically decent football. Instead we have a pitch full of divots that will only reward hoof ball 
Didn't reward us much and we've been playing hoofball for 4 years to the start of this season

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

It was me that said it and I stand by my comment. At least in recent memory, it was as bad as I've seen from a forward. I don't recall him doing a single thing right while he was on the pitch, and it's not like he only had 5 or 10 minutes. I can take poor control, missed shots, running down blind ally's etc. But for someone of his size and build to also constantly get knocked off the ball was pretty shocking. I've never seen him play that badly and hopefully he doesn't put in a performance like that again for a long, long time.

One thing is for sure, he can have absolutely no complaints about not being in the starting 11 at the moment. So I hope he doesn't feel sorry for himself.

15 hours ago, philmpv said:
17 hours ago, TJHValiant said:
I do think our ball retention generally isn’t great at home and I think that tough old bumpy clay pitch is a factor.
We need a new pitch as that will reward passing, technically decent football. Instead we have a pitch full of divots that will only reward hoof ball 

Didn't reward us much and we've been playing hoofball for 4 years to the start of this season

And Rochdale managed to play football on it 

18 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

The Rochdale game was the first time I had seen the pitch, (Lorne St side) being watered before a game. I know VP is one of the few clay pitches left but improvements have been made recently by Speedy and new techniques are available. 

7 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

The Rochdale game was the first time I had seen the pitch, (Lorne St side) being watered before a game. I know VP is one of the few clay pitches left but improvements have been made recently by Speedy and new techniques are available. 

We are in August, but come November it will be as heavy as ever contributing to injuries and everything else as usual. 

Speedy does a remarkable job with what he has, no doubt, but really a new pitch was needed years ago. 

It may cost half a million for the works, but I feel that would really make the difference over many years. 

We are in August, but come November it will be as heavy as ever contributing to injuries and everything else as usual. 

Speedy does a remarkable job with what he has, no doubt, but really a new pitch was needed years ago. 

It may cost half a million for the works, but I feel that would really make the difference over many years. 
Fancy paying for it then?

16 hours ago, Beech said:

It was me that said it and I stand by my comment. At least in recent memory, it was as bad as I've seen from a forward. I don't recall him doing a single thing right while he was on the pitch, and it's not like he only had 5 or 10 minutes. I can take poor control, missed shots, running down blind ally's etc. But for someone of his size and build to also constantly get knocked off the ball was pretty shocking. I've never seen him play that badly and hopefully he doesn't put in a performance like that again for a long, long time.

One thing is for sure, he can have absolutely no complaints about not being in the starting 11 at the moment. So I hope he doesn't feel sorry for himself.

With players queing up for the bench and IF D.C. sees anything in Amoo then Rodney might be lucky to see the bench.

The replacement striker is crucial for us this season. Proctor is a good signing and yes far far better than Pope has been for last two years. Just hope he remains fit. Not sure if he plays many games due to injury or due to not scoring enough goals but so far he looks the part of a decent no. 9.

The problem is the forward up front with him. Wilson has not scored goals regularly but to be fair he has played in a higher level of football for most of his career. He did score last year, 10 i think and i would settle for that this year. Problem is he doesnt look like scoring goals. He may score the 20 yarder top corner but so far he has missed several chances in and around the box and they are the ones that get you up to 15 + goals @ season.

The other bigger issue is that he only ever seems to last just past half time and so we will always be looking for a substitution. He does work hard off the ball up front but not to the extent of only lasting for an hour ! He looks a skilful footballer but he is also lightweight and when the winter arrives and he has big center backs closer to him, on heavier pitches, he may go missing for me.

So who will replace him. Rodney, Lloyd, Amoo !!! Oh dear. God forbid Proctor gets injured or the goals dry up.

Yes we have scored goals recently but scoring GOALS will still be our major problem this season

This feels like another knee-jerk reaction. It's true, he was poor on Saturday. I'm confident he is fully aware of this, so are the coaching staff. But are we now judging players on 45 minutes of football? He hasn't had the best start to the season but he hasn't played every minute of the 6 games either. Is this what its come to? He scored vital goals for us last season and what we don't need is the spread of unnecessary criticism that will filter into the stands.

I don't expect people to agree with everyone, and if everyone did this place would be redundant, but can people just add some balance to their opinions. Just because our colours are black and white, doesn't mean our opinions need to be too.

This feels like another knee-jerk reaction. It's true, he was poor on Saturday. I'm confident he is fully aware of this, so are the coaching staff. But are we now judging players on 45 minutes of football? He hasn't had the best start to the season but he hasn't played every minute of the 6 games either. Is this what its come to? He scored vital goals for us last season and what we don't need is the spread of unnecessary criticism that will filter into the stands.
I don't expect people to agree with everyone, and if everyone did this place would be redundant, but can people just add some balance to their opinions. Just because our colours are black and white, doesn't mean our opinions need to be too.
Most Vale fans will support a player through thick and thin if they're seen to be giving their all. Even if they're not the best in terms of ability. I think most of the criticism of Rodney from Saturday is borne largely of frustration and annoyance that Rodney didn't seem to do that. For such a large player to be brushed and out fought out of the challenges and shirking most of them was the reason for the reaction. He just didn't seem to want it. At all. That is something no Vale fan will stand for, no matter what they've done before

Archived