onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Devante Rodney

Breadwinner

A player who in my opinion could light up league two and I thought playing in front of a good 5500 sat and 6000 odd home supporters first few home sat league games would really ignite him but not to be up to yet however we saw well we all saw who watched the matches on ifollow  that he is very capable at times last season scoring beauties v Colchester away and finishing superbly in other games .

Hope he knuckles down as we need a big season from him if going finish in them top 7 places .

Let's see this pace and get in there lad on sat J P has flicked some smashing headers on be on to them like lightning you can do it believe in yourself lad 

UTV 

Advert

He has everything to make a striker to be feared size physic speed what he has not got is the desire to do it too get to the flick ons first to bully the centre halves he wants a bit of Bernie Wright in him or a Bob Newton until he gets that he will be a failure as a striker DESIRE Rodney and passion for the shirt.

Still only 23. Can be an absolute game-changer at this level so hope we don't write him off on the back of a poor start.

I know he's frustrating but, considering his skillset, if he was consistent and technically better he'd be gone. Time and patience needed with him. Proctor's emergence takes pressure off him. 

I agree he needs to figure out what his position is. He's in this halfway house of winger/forward at present. Maybe a wide forward who thrives in 1 v 1 situations is the way to go, but we'd need to change system to accommodate that.

Was a tad disappointed to hear the wailing when he lost the ball a couple of times. We were all frustrated but Vale fans have seemingly ittle issue with letting players know they've ballsed it, even if they're young and been on the pitch for 30 seconds. 

He was diabolical on Saturday. One of the worst performances I've seen from a player in a Vale shirt. Not controlling the ball is one thing. But someone the size of him constantly getting pushed off it only shows a major lack of desire and effort from him. Shocking. He needs to start using the tools he's got far better and more frequently than he does. He had a more than solid first season all things considered and should be able to push on further this season.

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

His first touch is the problem you can get away with it on the wing when he has a bit more time to control the ball but when you have two centre halves next to you it needs to be better a lot better

Agree about his first touch.

Speed is his major asset, and would like to see him / the team use it more often.

Last season I would have said strength and not getting knocked off the ball too, but he seems to be losing the ball / being outfought more so far this term, though he does seem to be fouled more - opposition wising up to him?

What he doesn't show is a scorer's instinct - expecting the ball, getting into good positions, expecting a knockdown or a loose ball in the goal area - or even making runs. Thought it was astonishing, in one of the iFollow commentaries towards the end of last season, Adam Yates saying in effect he didn't do too much in training, he liked to look after his body.

So, he's not going to be Bernie Slaven, but he could be a quicker Ernie Moss, and we'd all be lucky and delighted if that's what he becomes. 

9 minutes ago, Beech said:

He was diabolical on Saturday. One of the worst performances I've seen from a player in a Vale shirt. Not controlling the ball is one thing. But someone the size of him constantly getting pushed off it only shows a major lack of desire and effort from him. Shocking. He needs to start using the tools he's got far better and more frequently than he does. He had a more than solid first season all things considered and should be able to push on further this season.

Can't agree as there was a worse performance in a Vale shirt on Saturday alone (probably two), let alone that we've ever seen. He was a non-entity and disappointing, but come on. 

Think it's reactionary as he was poor but didn't actively damage us, unlike Benning. He was just off the pace and seemed unsure as to what exactly he was supposed to do in terms of defensive shape/pressing. At one point he was caught in two minds as to whether he was supposed to drop into a defensive shape or press, and the Vale fans saw this is a lack of effort, which based on the evidence of last season is definitely not the case. He usually puts a good shift in. 

Sometimes players come on and don't have an impact. I've seen far more celebrated/revered players come on, achieve nothing, and get far less stick than Rodney has. The howls of derision/woe when he lost the ball was hardly helpful. 

Still think he’s better out wide myself. Has the pace to hurt teams but Doesn’t have a strikers instinct. Most of his goals are cutting in on his right foot and firing home, id play him out wide in a front 3, if we’re looking to start him. 

Anyone writing him off needs to give their head a wobble was one of the only positives from last season and actually got a decent goal return for us. Blatantly obvious he is going to be a player that needs the fans backing so jumping on his back after one touch on Saturday was never going to help. At the end of the day he’s in league 2 for a reason, he has fantastic qualities but if he had a great touch or great finishing he would be playing far higher up the ladder. 

15 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Can't agree as there was a worse performance in a Vale shirt on Saturday alone (probably two), let alone that we've ever seen. He was a non-entity and disappointing, but come on. 

Think it's reactionary as he was poor but didn't actively damage us, unlike Benning. He was just off the pace and seemed unsure as to what exactly he was supposed to do in terms of defensive shape/pressing. At one point he was caught in two minds as to whether he was supposed to drop into a defensive shape or press, and the Vale fans saw this is a lack of effort, which based on the evidence of last season is definitely not the case. He usually puts a good shift in. 

Sometimes players come on and don't have an impact. I've seen far more celebrated/revered players come on, achieve nothing, and get far less stick than Rodney has. The howls of derision/woe when he lost the ball was hardly helpful. 

I thought he was embarrassingly bad myself. I wasn't expecting him to come on and change the game too much. But I didn't expect him to come on and then spend half of his time on the floor. Though you're right in that he certainly wasn't alone in being extremely poor on the day. But as a sub he should have been coming on with a bit of a point to prove, to show the manager he was wrong to bench him. He did the complete opposite to that. Be very fortunate to make the bench against Swindon.

Good replies thanks for input no reason why he cannot get 15 plus goals but like someone rightly pointed out on one reply you have to have the desire to do that ,to get in there,to get poleaxed sometimes to score for your club us the Vale, probably easier do when like last season no one in the ground but now you have thousands of supporters who are willing you to play very well most weeks and let's face it if your attitude and performance levels are right everything else falls into place so make sure thats right firstly if you make a mistake you will have to have broad shoulders but if anything certain comments I've being reading on Wonder of Port Vale ,well let's face it if I was footballer I'd be wanting ram there unkind words down there throats ,as criticisms are usually very motivational I find in my own life that people are quick to want you do poorly, well Devante I'm sure you do not read this but I want you do superbly so head up get out there and silence the doubters .

UTV 

I just thought that his performance was strange. he is at his best when he physically dominates the opposition and almost bullies them. He has all of the attributes, but for some reason on Saturday, just looked lightweight. Strange to be saying it, but I hope that his is injured/was protecting a knock and that its not psychological/throwing his dummy out because he didn't start. Fingers crossed that if it is, he comes roaring back and starts throwing centre halves around and beating them for pace and drive again soon!

3 minutes ago, Row L said:

I just thought that his performance was strange. he is at his best when he physically dominates the opposition and almost bullies them. He has all of the attributes, but for some reason on Saturday, just looked lightweight. Strange to be saying it, but I hope that his is injured/was protecting a knock and that its not psychological/throwing his dummy out because he didn't start. Fingers crossed that if it is, he comes roaring back and starts throwing centre halves around and beating them for pace and drive again soon!

To me it looked like he just didn't want it. Every player can have a poor game. We had plenty on Saturday. But he just didn't look up for it. He should be bullying defenders every week like Sodje used to for us, with his build. And although he's not very experienced in terms of games played, it's not like he's 18 or 19. He's 24 next year. He should be nearing his peak in a couple of years time.

I’d have thought after his goals last season that he would start every game, not be making substitute appearances. He looks like he’s bulked up which isn’t a good thing when games are quick and you have a racing snake marking you. I’m not sure why he’s a sub, whether he’s downed tools because he’s the sun or doesn’t get selected because he wasn’t signed by DC. On Saturdays performance I’d say the initial suggestion. Where is Amoo, I’ve reported him missing to Staffs Police but they assure me that he’s safe and well but refused to provide me with his location. 

Don't think we ought to be creating single player threads it's a collective team effort , not a pop at you VFIA as understand your passion and frustration.

An absolute enigma is Rodders, sublime to the ridiculous with little in between. Didn't Clarke himself say that Rodders is almost ' too nice '. Needs a bit more devilment and dare i say it , dirty rough house play in his game. Very frustrating player.

Now my last point and this forum is all about opinions and hopefully respectful ones .

But from a personal perspective i've read since Saturday that Benning and now Rodney have given one of the worst performances EVER seen in a Vale shirt. Clearly not everyone has gone as long as myself, i'm 54 and my dad took me as a nipper.

But even in the recent past we have had Jules, Mills, Tanser, Macintosh, Paterson and numerous others.

Is it not a tad knee jerk following a poor defeat to come out with such a proclamation.

Older posters will wince at the names Martin Henderson, Jeff Johnson, Tommy Gore, yet apparently Benning and Rodney are up there with the worst ever .

Archived