Our new signings

Beech

16 hours ago, philmpv said:

Every one who has had notable minutes has impressed me, in the context of a comparison with what we had last season. Those who've hardly played I haven't seen enough to form any judgment.

Proctor - Huge upgrade on Pope. Wins nearly everything in the air and, more pertinently, his flick ons actually have direction and intent. Can also score - 10 out of 10 so far

Wilson - Clearly an upgrade on Robinson and Guthrie. Some of his touches are championship level. Just needs a goal - 7 out of 10

Pett, Walker and Garrity - Again, clearly all upgrades on Joyce, Manny (they can actually play a notable amount of games) and Burgess, in terms of tackling, positioning, passing and drive - 7 out of 10

Jones - Best signing of the summer so far. Brisley not fit to lace his boots - 10 out of 10

Martin - Not great, but not awful either - 6 out of 10

Benning - Big disappointment given his alleged stellar reputation, but still better than Fitzpatrick. Hopefully he'll come good, but if he's looking for L1 next season, it may have to be with us or not at all - 5 out of 10

Cass - really like him. Great going forward and none to shabby at the back. Mills upgrade without question - 7 out of 10

Covolan - capable enough. Gets a hard time unfairly in my view just because he's different to what we're used to. Can't blame him for any goals conceded yet unless you're really looking for a stick to beat him with. No worse than Brown - 6 out of 10

Excellent balanced post. 

Garrity, Jones and Proctor are the ones I can say have impressed. Pett I held in high regard and has dissappointed me a bit. 

No sign of any major flops, but Martin, Wilson and Covolan have been the biggest concerns. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, valeparklife said:

We have a lot of players moving to the area, new houses, moving family etc

It would be crazy to expect that everyone be settled and 100% right now

Calm down.

We're hardly bottom of the league with zero wins are we?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we've out shot the opposition in every game but one this season. We're doing okay and are a work in progress.

What's with the calm down <ovf censored>?

Literally asking what people have made of all the new signings so far. Not once have I said anybody should be judged whether they're good signings or not, it's obviously far too early for that. But after a handful of game you are able to say who's started well and who hasn't, or who has perhaps surprised you a bit.

Edited by Beech

49 minutes ago, Beech said:

What's with the calm down <ovf censored>?

Literally asking what people have made of all the new signings so far. Not once have I said anybody should be judged whether they're good signings or not, it's obviously far too early for that. But after a handful of game you are able to say who's started well and who hasn't, or who has perhaps surprised you a bit.

Asking people to calm down was more attributable to the Rochdale thread where everyone is losing their mind.

But also, judging players based on the first 6 games of the season isn't really fair or helpful? Long way to go yet!

Remember that everyone thought Craig James was a world beater after his first few games!  😂

• Like 1

I think Benning showed glimpses of what he can do nearer the end of the game on Saturday. He's got a great touch which has let him down and I noticed he was talking a lot to Smith at the weekend, almost like he needed reassuring of his role. I think he's adapting to a new style of play and Rodney wasn't helping him in the second half. There were definite signs that he will get there. Lets not forget he nearly scored too.
The fact benning, plus many others need reassuring of there role is because they are being asked to play half a dozen different roles within one game!! Not fair on the players to keep tinkering with formation and personnel so much

8 hours ago, Rocky said:

I think Benning showed glimpses of what he can do nearer the end of the game on Saturday.

Unfortunately his most memorable contribution near the end was to stand watching as O'Keeffe ran past him to score the winner!

• Like 1

I think the majority of the signings are improvements on their replacements.

In my opinion:

Proctor is looking very good, a younger prospect than the aging Pope.

Wilson is miles better than Robinson. 

I've not seen the other forward but I doubt he could be worse than the other bloke we had up front last year. I can't even remember his name now!

Pett, Walker and Garrity look better than Joyce, Manny (the most overrated player ever by many) and Burgess.

Jones miles better than Fitz. 

Cass better than the right back from last season. Again, I can't even remember his name.

Cov is a very different style of keeper than Scotty Brown. Time will tell on this one.

I've not seen enough of the two defenders and the other keeper to make a fair judgement. 

Benning is the biggest disappointment so far. Hope he turns it around. Left backs always seem to take a while to settle in and become consistent and solid. 

Hope to see Politic soon. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Asking people to calm down was more attributable to the Rochdale thread where everyone is losing their mind.

But also, judging players based on the first 6 games of the season isn't really fair or helpful? Long way to go yet!

Remember that everyone thought Craig James was a world beater after his first few games!  😂

I'm not asking anybody to judge them. Judging them would be asking whether they are good or crap. I'm only asking who, so far, has impressed you and who hasn't as of yet. Maybe it would have been a better question to ask in a few games time, but I think we've seen enough of most of them to say whether they've done well so far or not.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 1

I'm enjoying the balance on here - much more level-headed than some of the nonsense you hear at Vale Park. In my opinion this squad clearly has a lot more potential than we've seen for a long time and we probably need to be quite patient to see how it develops over the next few months.

Out of the new players, Jones is clearly a standout, but as a former goalkeeper myself I see a lot to like in Covolan. There are very few goalkeepers in the Football League trying to play the role as proactively as him, as @Danish Valiant says. I don't know if Wilson will work out, but I like seeing his quality of touch in a Vale team that has a lot of willing workers in it. I can understand the lukewarm attitude to both give results so far, but it is refreshing to see a bit of flair and ambition running through the team (especially with Conlon back) and I think that is what we're getting with these two - maybe Politic will add to this too. Like most others on this thread, I'm happy with the midfield and Proctor too.

Overall, the most important effect of the summer's changes is the sense of competition for places I think. We may not be able to say the team is up among the best in the league yet, but the quality on the bench is a great sign for our ability to change anything that isn't working.

• Like 8

On 05/09/2021 at 14:03, Beech said:

I know we're only a bunch of games in. This is by no means a thread to write any of our new signings off. That should go without saying.

But which one's have impressed you and haven't impressed you so far? Which one's would you consider as upgrades on the players we released earlier this summer?

I think all the signings so far have been mixed in terms of performances. They have all had a good game at some point and shown flashes why they where signed but have not quite managed to put it together consistently YET, however it's what you would expect with so many changes and playing in L2.

I've seen enough to see the players bought in are an upgrade and the squad overall is very strong compared to the last 3 years where it picked itself each week.

The one thing we are missing in the team is a ball carrier who can run at defenders and commit players. We do have them in the squad so I'm pretty sure we will see Politic and Amoo given more game time at home to open defences unless Rodney can pull himself together.

• Like 5

It’s better to have a more talented underperforming squad than a less talented overachieving squad. Only one has longevity. Only one has the marathon mentality.

Edited by 1
  • Like 1

The only area of recruitment that concerns me is the defence, despite the fact that until Saturday our defensive numbers looked good.

Apart from Dan Jones - who apart from a wobbly 15 minutes on Saturday has been outstanding so far -  we've signed players who either look well off the pace or simply not good enough. I'll put Benning and Martin in the first camp and Johnson in the second. It's quite scary that our first choice pairing in a two would be Smith and Legge, with Jones alongside them in a three. If the recruitment in this area had been anywhere near good enough, surely nether Legge nor Smith would be first choices. 

Elsewhere, I think we're stronger than last season. We have younger, better players in midfield and up top than previous seasons. 

Smith is a cracking CB or RB for league 2. Martin was meant to be first choice before Legge became John Terry and Martin will come good as he’s a seasoned, well respected pro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1 said:

Smith is a cracking CB or RB for league 2. Martin was meant to be first choice before Legge became John Terry and Martin will come good as he’s a seasoned, well respected pro.

Smith has yet to get in the play offs with Vale ,year after year of being about 18th ,he is a average player he must strive to a good league 2 player and get Vale along with the others near the top end of the table not midtable or midtable to bottom play offs to top then he is cracking player .

I personally think we need better than him but I can see why folk like him he doesn't lack effort that's for sure .

UTV 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1 said:

Nathan Smith was a cracking young defender half a decade ago who didn't look out of place in the league above, despite his age. At 25, I fear he's regressed to the point that he'd struggle to get another club in the EFL if we didn't renew his contract. He's always looked best with a big 'head it and kick it' lump next to him, or in a 3. However, as we saw on Saturday, once he's exposed or not paired with someone who compliments him he looks lost. It was noticeable towards the end of the game that Rochdale were happy for Smith to have the ball, instead of pressing him, because they know how poor his distribution is. 

I've always thought it was a weak (and wrong) move to allow Smith to come back after looking like he's found pastures new two summers back. It's such a negative way to re-sign a player - he couldn't find anywhere better so 'settled' for another contract with us. On the whole he's looked poor ever since.

• Like 1