onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Our new signings

Beech

21 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

But what is the point of having ability if he's never on the pitch to show it?

He made 26 appearances in the last 2 seasons with us.

We could have Lionel Messi on the books but if he only played 1 game a season he'd be a waste of a wage.

In many people's minds the more Manny didn't play the better he got...

Advert

10 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Like I said, the majority are better. Some much better. Manny is an exception. I very specifically referred to his ability in my comment. Quite simple, really.

I back Covolan 100%. Looks a decent keeper to me (I played in goal for 20 years). You did slate Scott for "not getting his body behind" the ball that bobbled over his foot, if memory serves. That kind of criticism doesn't help anyone. And its the kind of nonsense that is being spouted at Lucas now. 

I agree that Manny had good ability and on his day, was a great addition to our midfield. His problem was his injury record - he was with us for three seasons but only played a season’s worth of games. For 60% of his time with us you and I contributed as much to our midfield as he did! Not his fault I know but we couldn’t afford to keep a player whose fitness record was so unreliable.

I agree I criticised Scott Brown after the Walsall game but that was in January after he had half a season where in my opinion his standards had fallen. You may recall he had made a serious error for their first goal.  I would still have given him a contract but understand why the club didn’t. 

I think Benning showed glimpses of what he can do nearer the end of the game on Saturday. He's got a great touch which has let him down and I noticed he was talking a lot to Smith at the weekend, almost like he needed reassuring of his role. I think he's adapting to a new style of play and Rodney wasn't helping him in the second half. There were definite signs that he will get there. Lets not forget he nearly scored too.

16 hours ago, philmpv said:

Every one who has had notable minutes has impressed me, in the context of a comparison with what we had last season. Those who've hardly played I haven't seen enough to form any judgment.

Proctor - Huge upgrade on Pope. Wins nearly everything in the air and, more pertinently, his flick ons actually have direction and intent. Can also score - 10 out of 10 so far

Wilson - Clearly an upgrade on Robinson and Guthrie. Some of his touches are championship level. Just needs a goal - 7 out of 10

Pett, Walker and Garrity - Again, clearly all upgrades on Joyce, Manny (they can actually play a notable amount of games) and Burgess, in terms of tackling, positioning, passing and drive - 7 out of 10

Jones - Best signing of the summer so far. Brisley not fit to lace his boots - 10 out of 10

Martin - Not great, but not awful either - 6 out of 10

Benning - Big disappointment given his alleged stellar reputation, but still better than Fitzpatrick. Hopefully he'll come good, but if he's looking for L1 next season, it may have to be with us or not at all - 5 out of 10

Cass - really like him. Great going forward and none to shabby at the back. Mills upgrade without question - 7 out of 10

Covolan - capable enough. Gets a hard time unfairly in my view just because he's different to what we're used to. Can't blame him for any goals conceded yet unless you're really looking for a stick to beat him with. No worse than Brown - 6 out of 10

Excellent balanced post. 

15 hours ago, valeparklife said:

We have a lot of players moving to the area, new houses, moving family etc

It would be crazy to expect that everyone be settled and 100% right now

Calm down.

We're hardly bottom of the league with zero wins are we?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe we've out shot the opposition in every game but one this season. We're doing okay and are a work in progress.

What's with the calm down <ovf censored>?

Literally asking what people have made of all the new signings so far. Not once have I said anybody should be judged whether they're good signings or not, it's obviously far too early for that. But after a handful of game you are able to say who's started well and who hasn't, or who has perhaps surprised you a bit.

49 minutes ago, Beech said:

What's with the calm down <ovf censored>?

Literally asking what people have made of all the new signings so far. Not once have I said anybody should be judged whether they're good signings or not, it's obviously far too early for that. But after a handful of game you are able to say who's started well and who hasn't, or who has perhaps surprised you a bit.

Asking people to calm down was more attributable to the Rochdale thread where everyone is losing their mind.

But also, judging players based on the first 6 games of the season isn't really fair or helpful? Long way to go yet!

Remember that everyone thought Craig James was a world beater after his first few games!  😂

I think Benning showed glimpses of what he can do nearer the end of the game on Saturday. He's got a great touch which has let him down and I noticed he was talking a lot to Smith at the weekend, almost like he needed reassuring of his role. I think he's adapting to a new style of play and Rodney wasn't helping him in the second half. There were definite signs that he will get there. Lets not forget he nearly scored too.
The fact benning, plus many others need reassuring of there role is because they are being asked to play half a dozen different roles within one game!! Not fair on the players to keep tinkering with formation and personnel so much

I think the majority of the signings are improvements on their replacements.

In my opinion:

Proctor is looking very good, a younger prospect than the aging Pope.

Wilson is miles better than Robinson. 

I've not seen the other forward but I doubt he could be worse than the other bloke we had up front last year. I can't even remember his name now!

Pett, Walker and Garrity look better than Joyce, Manny (the most overrated player ever by many) and Burgess.

Jones miles better than Fitz. 

Cass better than the right back from last season. Again, I can't even remember his name.

Cov is a very different style of keeper than Scotty Brown. Time will tell on this one.

I've not seen enough of the two defenders and the other keeper to make a fair judgement. 

Benning is the biggest disappointment so far. Hope he turns it around. Left backs always seem to take a while to settle in and become consistent and solid. 

Hope to see Politic soon. 

6 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Asking people to calm down was more attributable to the Rochdale thread where everyone is losing their mind.

But also, judging players based on the first 6 games of the season isn't really fair or helpful? Long way to go yet!

Remember that everyone thought Craig James was a world beater after his first few games!  😂

I'm not asking anybody to judge them. Judging them would be asking whether they are good or crap. I'm only asking who, so far, has impressed you and who hasn't as of yet. Maybe it would have been a better question to ask in a few games time, but I think we've seen enough of most of them to say whether they've done well so far or not.

With regards to Covolan, much of the critique I see of him, is because people are not used to seeing that type of goalkeeper in L2.

He's a very modern goalkeeper, not afraid to use his feet (to much on one occasion, I totally agree!!!), not afraid to be proactive in his placement etc. It's very very different to what people are used to seeing in L2 and maybe even L1. And people have very conservative opinions about, what a 'good goalkeeper' is in these leagues. Having worked in academy football for 20 years, I haven't seen anything from Covolan, that I haven't seen many many times before, and we actually teach keepers to do here in Denmark!

Yes, his red card at Northampton was daft and not necessary, but he'll learn from it! 

What I hope won't happen, is that all this critique takes his style and flair out of him, and he becomes just another off the rack, dime a dusin, lower league keeper. Let's grasp him, instead of alienating him! I get it, people don't like what they're not used to or haven't seen before. That's why we get all these comparison posts: "he's no Scott Brown" or with Wilson "he's no Tom Pope". No, and I'm sorry, but that's sort of the point. We're not signing clones, we're signing new players, with their own skill set and their own style. Not carbon copies of those they replace. God that would be boring! I like Lucas, and I'm sure even more Vale fans will learn to do so as well 😊

I'm enjoying the balance on here - much more level-headed than some of the nonsense you hear at Vale Park. In my opinion this squad clearly has a lot more potential than we've seen for a long time and we probably need to be quite patient to see how it develops over the next few months.

Out of the new players, Jones is clearly a standout, but as a former goalkeeper myself I see a lot to like in Covolan. There are very few goalkeepers in the Football League trying to play the role as proactively as him, as @Danish Valiant says. I don't know if Wilson will work out, but I like seeing his quality of touch in a Vale team that has a lot of willing workers in it. I can understand the lukewarm attitude to both give results so far, but it is refreshing to see a bit of flair and ambition running through the team (especially with Conlon back) and I think that is what we're getting with these two - maybe Politic will add to this too. Like most others on this thread, I'm happy with the midfield and Proctor too.

Overall, the most important effect of the summer's changes is the sense of competition for places I think. We may not be able to say the team is up among the best in the league yet, but the quality on the bench is a great sign for our ability to change anything that isn't working.

On 05/09/2021 at 14:03, Beech said:

I know we're only a bunch of games in. This is by no means a thread to write any of our new signings off. That should go without saying.

But which one's have impressed you and haven't impressed you so far? Which one's would you consider as upgrades on the players we released earlier this summer?

I think all the signings so far have been mixed in terms of performances. They have all had a good game at some point and shown flashes why they where signed but have not quite managed to put it together consistently YET, however it's what you would expect with so many changes and playing in L2.

I've seen enough to see the players bought in are an upgrade and the squad overall is very strong compared to the last 3 years where it picked itself each week.

The one thing we are missing in the team is a ball carrier who can run at defenders and commit players. We do have them in the squad so I'm pretty sure we will see Politic and Amoo given more game time at home to open defences unless Rodney can pull himself together.

Archived